A couple of quick newbie questions

Single Cruiser

Hi guys, I'm sure that these questions get asked a lot so please bear with me.

After Carnival axed Ocean Village I've been trying different brands, RCI last month, NCL in May and now looking at Carnival Magic as it's targetting UK passengers for its summer med season for this Sept.

On Formal nights (I think Carnival call them elequent?) does it follow P&O and is a ship-wide dress code so you have to dress for the theatre/bars or does it follow RCI and it's only for the main dining room.

I've been told that Carnival attracts a younger crowd, is this the case? on RCI Indy of the Seas last month the average age was in the 70s!!! :eek: as a result the nightclub was near deserted each night!

Any other pros and cons I should know before booking?

Hi guys, I'm sure that these questions get asked a lot so please bear with me.

After Carnival axed Ocean Village I've been trying different brands, RCI last month, NCL in May and now looking at Carnival Magic as it's targetting UK passengers for its summer med season for this Sept.

On Formal nights (I think Carnival call them elequent?) does it follow P&O and is a ship-wide dress code so you have to dress for the theatre/bars or does it follow RCI and it's only for the main dining room.

I've been told that Carnival attracts a younger crowd, is this the case? on RCI Indy of the Seas last month the average age was in the 70s!!! :eek: as a result the nightclub was near deserted each night!

Any other pros and cons I should know before booking?

Carnival definitely attracts a younger crowd, and often families. As for the dress code, while some people do get dressed for dinner and stay dressed, it seemed to me on the 3 Carnival cruises I was on that many folks then "dressed down", got more casual, for the activities in the evening.

Many people on formal/elegant night, including us get changed after formal dinner. We usually only attend/go to dinner in the MDR one formal night. We changed as to not to be constricted in our clothing whilehanging out the rest of the night/early morning.

RCL and Carnival both target families. Id say the crowd of 70s on RCL isnt typical, but maybe typical of folks who can choose to fly to Europe... but both are more similar than not.

Elegant night is not that dressed up, any dress will do and yes, Im one who cant wait to take it off before I go to the show, I only wear it to dinner. Same with RCL.

IMHO, the whole point behind Formal Night or Elegant Night is that you're supposed to realize that while you're 'dressed up' you can take advantage of the portrait opportunities set up on the ship. While the photos can be pricey, you have to admit that the free 'sitting' is a bargain!

Archived