Chair Hogs, Dress Codes and Smugglling Alcohol.

G&TQ

I might need to find flame resistant suit. But these are just my thought I am throwing out here.

I have been reading and posting on the boards and there are a few common threads that make me scratch my head and wonder if I need to do some research.

Holding chairs with towels or some other item for your use later in the day is against the rules and if you read threads on this topic the normal response is “why can’t people obey the rules”.

Alcohol Smuggling is breaking the rules and is a very heated debate for and against.

But then comes dress codes and most everyone responds that these are recommendations but do as you want it’s your vacation do what you want.

So it’s my vacation – hmm. My vacation do what I want –

Hog at least 5 seats in the prime location for all shows for DH and I- I don’t like to sit next to folks so there are 2 extra seats to be left empty and a seat for my bag and wrap. Why should they be in my lap it’s is my vacation.

If I have traditional dinning I am going to show up 30-45 late or early because that works for my schedule and if I have MDT I need a table for 6 for DH and myself (again I do not like to sit next to strangers and we want to dine alone). And I will ware PJs because there comfy and well I am on vacation. Rules/recommendations don’t matter.

Again Hog 5 lounge chairs in a prime location by the pool all day so at 1 pm we can have the perfect sun for half an hour while topping off the sodas (DH and I got using only one fountain card) with the Rum we smuggled in with our rumrunners.

Walk up to any bar/counter a head of the line and have my desires full filled.

I could go on but won’t since it is all about me.

Now back to reality – When were we as a society taught the rules/recommendation did not apply to us when we are on vacation? Most of the rules/recommendations come from common curtsey and manners. Even my 6 year old son knows there are rules that apply under all circumstances or suffer the consequence.

You might see this twice as I am also posting to the Royal Carribean Thread.

Bingo. I couldn't have said much better. To correct such violators will bring their rath upon you and who ever is in the area. I don't get it. I like to sit next to the pool but if I don't so what. I don't drink so I have nothing to say on the drinking except for the rudeness of drunks in the MDR. It is your vacation, but you are sharing it with say a couple of thousand others, so get over yourself and act like a decent human being.:D

I so agree with you, especially with the dining "recommendation." If people don't want to make themselves look decent for dinner, that's fine, but please go to the buffet.

Can I say that I haven't broken the alcohol policy? No, but I also knew at the time that I was taking a risk and was prepared for any consquence that may come. I get so aggravated when people get mad because they get caught breaking a rule - if you take the risk, accept the consequences!

BOBFudge,

I agree and my Son knows it. The first rule that goes out the window it bed time.

We don't break rules but they can and do change some times under special circumstances like holidays, vacations, other peoples homes.

I believe in following house rules when you are visiting someone elses home/house and the Ship is RCI house and we do our best to follow thier rules.

Now my first cruise I did take a little something something and never drank it.

asb2164,

I think that thought is what started this in my mind.

On the RCI thread someone said that smuggling Alcohol had no impact on others. I believe it does. I could not tell you how much but I am sure it impacts the cost of drinks if not the cost of cruising alone. I have seen photos of folks smuggling not just a bottle but gallons of the stuff.

I can't disagree with you - I've noticed all of those things as well!

People complain about chair hogging, but then they will give others the go-ahead to not follow the dress code at dinner or to smuggle alcohol onboard. The rules are the rules, whether it's something as "unimportant" as dress code or as serious as breaking the law.

To Saskd and those that say smuggling alcohol does not effect anyone else.

Why would Carnival and the other cruise lines be clamping down on inforcing these rules. Could it be lost revenue? If it is lost revenue, how do you think the cruise line makes up for it? Certinly not by lowering the cost of a drink or the cruise its self. I have seen some photos of people showing off how much alcohol the smuggle. Gallons of the stuff.

So yes I think it effects others in the price we pay for drinks and or cruising in general.

Having not yet been on a cruise (but will in 224 days!:D), maybe I'm not experienced enough to comment on these violations. But here's my 2 cents anyway:

Chair hogs: You're on a ship. You're surrounded by water. And there appears to be plenty of chairs around the deck for sunbathing, etc. If you want to be within 2 steps of the water, either stay home and swim in your pool or the neighborhood one OR jump over the rail.

Booze smugglers: Do it or don't do it, but don't b#@$%# about it when you get caught.

Dress codes: You're on a ship. A nice one at that. Have some respect for the ship, crew, others, and yourself and dress as nicely as you would going to a NICE restraunt in town (Red Lobster, Olive Garden, etc). If you are going to dress like you're going to McDonalds, please use the buffet or room service. The rest of us are trying to avoid reality.

Wait a 'sec...I chose Carnival over Celebrity this year BECAUSE of the relaxed dining and smoking rules.

Where does that leave me?

On Carnival either following the rules or not. :D

OK, that it! If you can wear your jammies in the MDR then so can I!!! I mean, if one person breaks the rules then shouldn't we ALL be allowed to?

:rolleyes:

"If he gets up then I'll get up. We'll all get up. It'll be anarchy!"

-"Breakfast Club"

I smuggle alcohol but I also spend a lot of money at the bars and as far as the chair hogs go if I see someone is doing it and I want to sit there I move their things and sit down, I have only done this twice I got dirty looks and that is all but I am 6'4" and weigh 295 lbs so that may have something to do with it.

To Saskd and those that say smuggling alcohol does not effect anyone else.

Why would Carnival and the other cruise lines be clamping down on inforcing these rules. Could it be lost revenue? If it is lost revenue, how do you think the cruise line makes up for it? Certinly not by lowering the cost of a drink or the cruise its self. I have seen some photos of people showing off how much alcohol the smuggle. Gallons of the stuff.

So yes I think it effects others in the price we pay for drinks and or cruising in general.

By your logic children, pregnant women and non-drinkers should not be allowed on the ship because they could lose Carnival revenue. Do you know for a fact Carnival charges more because people smuggle it? Do you know for a fact Carnival would lower prices if people stoped smugglling? Or is that just an assumption?

But wait now we can have the best of both worlds, now that jeans are allowed in the dining room and they now make pajama jeans we can get away with wearing our pj's to dinner!:rolleyes:

ROFLMFAO!!!!! Aren't those the lamest things you've seen?!?

Archived