Question on Bamberg

Jesterscourt

For those who have been on Main River itineraries, I was wondering about where the boats dock. Looking at the map of Bamberg, it looks fairly small, but I notice that the old town seems to be around the Regnitz River. Can you walk there and to other worthwhile spots from where the boat docks on the Main River?

For those who have been on Main River itineraries, I was wondering about where the boats dock. Looking at the map of Bamberg, it looks fairly small, but I notice that the old town seems to be around the Regnitz River. Can you walk there and to other worthwhile spots from where the boat docks on the Main River?

No, you will bused to Bamberg. I am trying to remember where the ship will dock, but it is not near Bamberg. A must is St.Jacob's church. There is a small fee, but go upstairs and see the beautiful carved altar. There is also a Christmas shop that will knock your socks off.

Please go to our website for the story and pictures. http://www.stevekathytravels.com

We would be more than happy to answer any questions.

We were just in Bamberg on the Avalon Luminary. Our cruise ended there and became a bus tour due to the freezing of the Main-Danube canal on Christmas Eve.

The Luminary docked in an industrial area to the northwest of the old town. The dock was in and L shaped lagoon that is bordered by Reginitzstrasse and Hafenstrasse. It was not within walking distance the old town. I don't know if other cruise lines use this dock.

So if you remain in town after the tour, can you take public transportation back to the dock or do they have shuttles running back and forth? Can they not find a nicer place to dock? I know this sounds naive, but one of the neat aspects of river cruising is being docked reasonably close to the town which doesn't seem to be the case in some of these places.

So if you remain in town after the tour, can you take public transportation back to the dock or do they have shuttles running back and forth? Can they not find a nicer place to dock? I know this sounds naive, but one of the neat aspects of river cruising is being docked reasonably close to the town which doesn't seem to be the case in some of these places.

"They" would depend on the cruise line and the time of the year. Avalon did not have shuttles but this was a different port of call than may be typical of other cruise lines.

This was not summer. It had been below freezing for several weeks, it was snowing and this was the unanticipated end of the cruise. I have no idea how a typical cruise would operate in Bamberg in better weather conditions.

Wish I could be more responsive.

Jesterscourt,

I haven´t heard / read of any shuttles. The port at Bamberg is in an industrial area and not within walking distance of the city. There is a bus stop (Line 919). But this bus is running only once per hour and you have to call in advance.

steamboats

Avalon did not have shuttles but this was a different port of call than may be typical of other cruise lines.

We have visited Bamberg twice with Avalon and they did provide one shuttle back to the ship late in the day for those who wanted to stay in town, leaving Bamberg at 5:30. We missed it last month and took a cab back to the boat for 12E.

Archived