Standard vs extended balcony on Legend?

tigerxj

My wife and I are booking our honeymoon cruise (one year late). We are planning on the April 24 sailing on the Carnival Legend. This is my 3rd cruise, my wife's first.

We have several choices; standard balcony, extended, and premium. I've never had a balcony before, my wife has never been on a ship, so it would all be novel to us.

The extended balconies are about 2x as big, but are in the narrow section of the ship...which means the balconies from the wide section of the ship might have the ability to look around the edge and see back into your room/balcony. Also, if you are too close to the wide section, you may not be able to see around it and see forward/aft.

Can anyone confirm or refute this? Are you able to see into balconies from any other balcony?

here's a picture to describe what i'm talking about. If I am in room 6203 (or something nearby), can the people in 6219 walk out to their balcony, peak around the end, and see my balcony? Also, if I were in lets say 6217, will my view be terribly obstructed to the rear?

2114598950073928829S600x600Q85.jpg

From some reading I understand you cant expect total privacy on your balcony, but we want a little privacy.

Thanks!

The side of 6219 will obstruct your view if you are in 6217, that's a given. Also folks in 6219 will not be able to peek around the side of their balcony unless they are a contortionist. If one tried it would be down right dangerous, you would almost have to put one leg up on the railing to get the right angle. We were in 6218 which was the last room port side in this area and when I looked around that corner it was just ocean. It wasn't possible, so no worries.

In addition, you may want to consider 6218 or the one opposite on the starboard side. It is just a regular size balcony but there is nothing across from the room but a wall and you only have one neighbor. There was hardly any foot traffic either. Most cabins forward to us used the middle elevators and those around the corner, used the aft elevators. It's an 8D and was a perfect location for the $$. Just a thought.

We book extended balcony on any ship where it is available. Standard balcony is 4' deep and 10' long. Extended balcony is 6" deep and 10' long. That extra 2' gives you a lot of leg room.

The cabins you mention are suites with a balcony size of 115 sq ft with a length of a little over 12' with a depth of 6'. We've never booked a suite.

On most balconies, but not all, a neighbor can look around the partition and see what's on the balcony next door.;)

We had room 6269 on the Legend for our first cruise. It was a wonderful room with an extended balcony. We had no privacy issues at all. It was also very easy access to elevators but not close enough to have any noise issues.

Have fun whichever cabin you choose!!

My wife and I are booking our honeymoon cruise (one year late). We are planning on the April 24 sailing on the Carnival Legend. This is my 3rd cruise, my wife's first.

We have several choices; standard balcony, extended, and premium. I've never had a balcony before, my wife has never been on a ship, so it would all be novel to us.

The extended balconies are about 2x as big, but are in the narrow section of the ship...which means the balconies from the wide section of the ship might have the ability to look around the edge and see back into your room/balcony. Also, if you are too close to the wide section, you may not be able to see around it and see forward/aft.

Can anyone confirm or refute this? Are you able to see into balconies from any other balcony?

here's a picture to describe what i'm talking about. If I am in room 6203 (or something nearby), can the people in 6219 walk out to their balcony, peak around the end, and see my balcony? Also, if I were in lets say 6217, will my view be terribly obstructed to the rear?

From some reading I understand you cant expect total privacy on your balcony, but we want a little privacy.

Thanks!

Hi tiger, welcome to CC!!

See the bottom of your deck plan, cabin 6232? It has that humongous balcony and there are a few more like that on each of the decks...for the money, I would see if any of those are available. Private and great aft views, with a lounger or two on the balcony:)

Enjoy whatever you choose, it will be fabulous!!!:D

Thanks!

Yes!! Book 6232 or 7258 (have had both). Plenty of room, as these are the REALLY LONG balconies and also wider. If you book in advance you can get these. Sooooooo much better then any other 8K balcony.

http://picasaweb.google.com/waltm2/Cabin#5295688283540842466

Here are some photos of the cabin and amazing balcony. No more $ than other extended balcony and no problem with privacy.

Yes!! Book 6232 or 7258 (have had both). Plenty of room, as these are the REALLY LONG balconies and also wider. If you book in advance you can get these. Sooooooo much better then any other 8K balcony.

Here are some photos of the cabin and amazing balcony. No more $ than other extended balcony and no problem with privacy.

Oooh thanks!! Is this on deck 6 or 7? I've got the one on 7 booked for Miracle in December and I can't WAIT!!! :D

I believe 6232 can hold more than 2 people so if you book that one, you may get bumped. We booked 7258 for that reason. It's a cabin for 2!

7258 is for 2 people- Sailing in April will get you tons of kids--spring break time and all.

Sailing in April--(this year???) you will not find these premium balconies for this year.

We have 6232 booked at over a year ago.

privacy issues--remember there are cameras all over the ship

Oooh thanks!! Is this on deck 6 or 7? I've got the one on 7 booked for Miracle in December and I can't WAIT!!! :D

It is deck 7 on the Legend (for cabin 7258). I can't speak for the Miracle layout as I have not been on that ship. If you are lucky enough, and early enough, to book this cabin, you win!!! It is for 2 people, very quiet, and in a good location....not below Lido.

Book early!

Amy

this is exactly the type of info I was looking for! We are a little late booking because I am in med school, and waiting for my loan money to come in, so we won't have free pickings, but there are plenty standard, extended, and even a couple of premium balconies left.

As far as the date, it is late april. I found this website that lists the number of college kids on spring break broken down by week, and the number falls drastically after march. For instance, the 2nd week of march will have 2,114,000 college spring breakers, and the last week is 295,000. They dont even list april cus the numbers are so much lower.

http://www.tripsmarter.com/panamacity/springbreak/sbcalendar.htm

Besides, we will be 26, and I will be 1 week from graduation, so I think the spring breakers will need to worry about us!

Another option for us is the premium balcony, same cost as the extended, there are a few left. In the picture below this is room 7303. Obviously there will be an obstruction aft, but its a huge balcony for the same cost. 7260 is taken. Anyone stayed in 7303?

Thanks,

TigerXJ

2039321620073928829S600x600Q85.jpg

Both those cabins are handicapped cabins- You stand a chance of being moved if a HC person needs the cabin. BUT this late in the season for an April sailing it might not happen.

There are no sofa in these cabins. the bthroom is huge to accomadate a wheelchair.

another sought after cabins are the ones located across the back of the ship. these are aft cabins and the view is the wake of the ship

Both those cabins are handicapped cabins- You stand a chance of being moved if a HC person needs the cabin. BUT this late in the season for an April sailing it might not happen.

There are no sofa in these cabins. the bthroom is huge to accomadate a wheelchair.

If we got bumped, would we be upgraded, or downgraded with OBC?

• 3 weeks later...

When you looked down towards the water, were the lifeboats in the way? Do the lifeboats stick out on the side of the ship? Thank you.

Thanks!

I just got off Pride. We had Panorama Deck, extended balcony 8181.

your neighbors would have to lean way over, stretch out and peer around the extended divider to see into yours. In other words, if they really, really want to see you, they can. Most wouldn't do it, however. We had complete privacy.... One caveat...the balcony is glass inclosed. In the right light, with the right conditions, at the right time of day, your reflection can be partially seen in the next door glass railing...

I loved the roomy balcony and wouldn't hesitate to book another similar cabin.

Also, for those who might wonder about Panorama deck and noise coming from Lido....not one problem...not one chair heard scrappiing, no noise.

When you looked down towards the water, were the lifeboats in the way? Do the lifeboats stick out on the side of the ship? Thank you.

The lifeboats sit at deck 4 and sit where the ship indents in. If you have a cabin in that area the lifeboats will be there. the higher you go the less you see of the lifeboats.

But like I said previously- you spend more time looking out then looking down

from 6232

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=27193692&postcount=6

If you looked straight down, yes you would see the lifeboats. You can't see them at all when you are sitting. Not much need to look straight down anyway, nothing to see even if the boats weren't in the way. The huge bonus of this room is the amazing balcony. That "pro" beats the lifeboat below "con" hands down.

For those who say you have to book a year ahead, not so. We had 7258 booked this summer and had to change our whole block of rooms due to one person not being able to travel. We booked the whole aft section of deck 7, thus freeing up 7258. Someone on my roll call got it a week ago! So, you never know when the good rooms will free up. They might also become available at final payment time, if someone has to back out.

If you are fortunate enough to snag this room, do it!

Amy

Archived