Ice Bar question...

Tom-n-Cheryl

Quick question for anyone with knowledge of the Ice Bar.

I understand that you can stay in there for 45 minutes. Do most people make it that long?

If they open at 5:00 --- does that mean that they won't allow another group in until 5:45 or so? Or can people come in at any time, as long as there are not too many people in there?

THANKS!

Tom

Was just on the Christmas cruise - had a 5:15 reservation got in about 10 minutes later after getting our parkas and gloves and posing for family pics

We were a group of 11 there were maybe 4 people already inside when we entered

People were coming and going while we were inside maybe a total of 18 at one time ?

Of my group the first drop-out lasted 10 minutes

the majority stayed in about 50 minutes

There was no pressure to leave but we grew bored after downing our drinks and posing for pics with the ice statues

I had the fruit drinks - strawberry better then the orange - the alcohol drinks were STRONG -seemed like the green one was a fav in our group

Something different glad we did it but once was enough-a

Was just on the Christmas cruise - had a 5:15 reservation got in about 10 minutes later after getting our parkas and gloves and posing for family pics

We were a group of 11 there were maybe 4 people already inside when we entered

People were coming and going while we were inside maybe a total of 18 at one time ?

Of my group the first drop-out lasted 10 minutes

the majority stayed in about 50 minutes

There was no pressure to leave but we grew bored after downing our drinks and posing for pics with the ice statues

I had the fruit drinks - strawberry better then the orange - the alcohol drinks were STRONG -seemed like the green one was a fav in our group

Something different glad we did it but once was enough-a

When did you make reservations for this?

We are considering on doing it the first day (before dinner).

Thanks

They want you to make reservations. You can do so when you board the ship. I saw a couple of walk-ups, but you're taking your chances by doing it that way.

Well, I suppose when checking in the Concierge can make those arrangements... ?

Another reason to get to the port early (11 ish) ! :)

Tom

Does anyone know if the ice sculptures are real ice or fake? This is what another post said

"Well it cost us $20 each to don a furry poncho and walk into a walk-in freezer with a bar on the side. It was not lined with large Ice blocks and ice sculptures as we were led to believe. It was lined with acrylic blocks and acrylic statues made to look like Ice but far from it."

Thanks in advance for your help.

Does anyone know if the ice sculptures are real ice or fake? This is what another post said

"Well it cost us $20 each to don a furry poncho and walk into a walk-in freezer with a bar on the side. It was not lined with large Ice blocks and ice sculptures as we were led to believe. It was lined with acrylic blocks and acrylic statues made to look like Ice but far from it."

Thanks in advance for your help.

Maybe someone can try this...

large_story2.jpg

Sculptures are definitely ice. There were blocks of ice that you could sit on with fur throws. The top of the bar is made of ice. There may be some other kind of housing below the bar but honestly I would have never thought twice about it. The bar changes colors so maybe because of electrical concerns those components have to be housed in something else. It was just a cool environment, excuse the pun. Would go back in a second. Reservations are on the half hour, like 5:30, 6:30, 7:30 etc. You have to arrive 15 minutes early to get your parka, gloves and pay the $20 a person. After one group leaves, they have to set up for the next hour's group.

Yes, the concierge can make your reservations. They made ours.

Here is a tip for staying the 45 mins since most dont make it that long. It is so true that most heat escapes from your head. We had santa hats on and they kept us so warm. Everyone else we went in with left after 10-15 mins after taking some photos and one drink. I took my hat off for a few seconds and there was a huge difference. They will give you gloves and a parka but bring a winter hat. I know you may laugh at that but you will enjoy your time so much better. Throw it in your suitcase and then just throw it back in your room after. We stayed about 40 mins and it is quite the adreneline rush to lower your body temp like that, drink vodka and then step back into the norm.

Loved the experience and the whole 40 min experience. A simple winter hat will make it so much better !!!!!!

Tom,

If you are staying in the courtyard, you shouldn't have any problem making a reservation. We just got off the 1/1 cruise which we were told was 4,800 to 4,900 people. When I walked up to the ice bar I was told reservations were full that night and the next day. However, I simply went back to the concierge and they got us a reservation for 4 that night. (We went the evening after Moderno.)

Speaking of concierge, they were amazing! Never was I told "no" or "I can't do that." No matter the request, they found a way to satisfy it. Kudos to a team lead by Florentina (sp?) and her assistants.

Also, the statues in the ice bar are definitely real ice. I had to "show off" and went in w/o any jacket or gloves. Gave the bear sculpture a nice hug too so I know it was real ice. We kept asking the Serbian and Russian staff on the ship why they weren't working in the ice bar? :D It is fun to do if you haven't experienced an ice bar before. I also found the drinks to be very good.

Here is a tip for staying the 45 mins since most dont make it that long. It is so true that most heat escapes from your head. We had santa hats on and they kept us so warm. Everyone else we went in with left after 10-15 mins after taking some photos and one drink. I took my hat off for a few seconds and there was a huge difference. They will give you gloves and a parka but bring a winter hat. I know you may laugh at that but you will enjoy your time so much better. Throw it in your suitcase and then just throw it back in your room after. We stayed about 40 mins and it is quite the adreneline rush to lower your body temp like that, drink vodka and then step back into the norm.

Loved the experience and the whole 40 min experience. A simple winter hat will make it so much better !!!!!!

Or is it? ;) http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2008/dec/17/medicalresearch-humanbehaviour

Actually, I found it rather warm in there..LOL :D

2010EpicCruise2016-1.jpg

We made our reservations the second day on board without a problem getting a time we wanted and the ship was at full capacity. There is a little pdium right outside the bar near the parkas. We were able to take the kids in and were beyond thrilled. They got non-alcoholic drinks for the same $20. We lasted about 30 minutes and were told that we made it a long time compared to others. They give you two drink coupons and people who were leaving gave us their coupons so we had lots of drinks to keep us warm. The bartender also let us take our drinks out with us.

I was a little disappointed as everything was not made of ice like a true ice bar. The top and sides of the bar were acrylic and the walls were not ice either. The sculptures and benches definitely were made of ice though.

We made our reservations the second day on board without a problem getting a time we wanted and the ship was at full capacity. There is a little pdium right outside the bar near the parkas. We were able to take the kids in and were beyond thrilled. They got non-alcoholic drinks for the same $20. We lasted about 30 minutes and were told that we made it a long time compared to others. They give you two drink coupons and people who were leaving gave us their coupons so we had lots of drinks to keep us warm. The bartender also let us take our drinks out with us.

I was a little disappointed as everything was not made of ice like a true ice bar. The top and sides of the bar were acrylic and the walls were not ice either. The sculptures and benches definitely were made of ice though.

Maybe something has changed but when we were in the Ice Bar in October, the top of the bar was definitely ice as one of our drinks fell off the top of the bar and broke when it hit the floor. Romeo (the male bartender) and the girl (can't remember her name), came out immediately with a dust pan and cleaned up the broken glass. We also put our hands on the top of the bar as well as the sides (without mittens) and this was definitely ice.

Kids are allowed IN?

Like everything else, it is what you make of it.

We had a large group and probably stayed in there for an hour. We intended to have a blast and we did! Had we went in with an attitude that it was just a walk in freezer with expensive drinks, then that is the kind of time we would have had.

The statues were real ice, I checked them out, and so was the top of the bar. You can't put your glass on the bar without the mat or it slides all over.

Keeping the hood up helps if you don't have a hat. long pants and socks too. Plan to have fun and you will!

69066_1206000247498_1753419206_396859_7094878_n.jpg

??? Did anyone have issues with their camera's operation during (and after) its use in the Ice Bar ???

I was curious about that as well. Mine would need to sit several minutes at "room" temperature prior to taking any photos!

Tom

Archived