Need help with family trip!

anjanetted

Hello, I am hoping to get some help! My family of 5 is taking a Southern Carribean cruise in June on the Carnival Victory. My children, ages 7,15, and 21 are completely new to cruising. My husband and I have only taken a short cruise to Mexico and Grand Cayman last July. Our cruise stops at a port each day and leaves from San Juan. I really want to make it memorable for them all and there are so many ports and so many activities to choose from I am overwhelmed! My first question is about Peurto Rico. I thought it may be nice to fly in a couple days early and tour around a bit. What are your thoughts??? Is this a good idea?? If so can you suggest a motel and some things to see??? The other ports are ST. Thomas, Barbados, ST. Kitts, St. Maarten, and St. Lucia. I guess I am wondering what peoples favorite activities were??? I would love any help.

We love Old San Juan, and I bet your kids would, too. You can spend a day going to El Morro, flying kites in the field in front of it, strolling back down through Old San Juan, and feeling like you are in Europe. At night on Fridays or Saturdays (or both, I am not sure) the locals come out and enjoy having fun dancing, singing, eating, etc., on the street just on the way from the piers to the fort.

As for a hotel, we have done Priceline for San Juan and have been happy. The only problem was that we got a hotel that was not near OSJ and had to take a taxi or the bus to get there, BUT we were on the ocean, and enjoyed the day on the beach and at the pool. (But you never know which hotel you will get.)

St. Thomas and St. Maaten are very easy ports to use to go to the beach for the day. Just grab a taxi and head out to one of the beaches you can hear about over on the St. Thomas/St. John board and the St. Maarten board. (Megan's would probably be a great one for St. Thomas and Orient for St. Maarten.)

In Barbados, I would find some way to go to swim with the turtles. It is possible to do it from the beach (I don't remember its name) or from one of the catamaran tours. I would NOT take one from the ship, but rather one of those recommended over on that board.

St. Lucia is a beautiful, lush island. I would suggest an independent tour that also took you to the beach between the Pitons. (cheaper and better than a ship's tour)

I hope this helps some.

If the cruise itself isn't "memorable", then you've wasted your money!

As far as excursions, get a guidebook, have the "kids" read it and tell you what they want to see and do! Get them involved...they're certainly old enough! A guidebook is invaluable...and can save you BIG $$$, especially since you have a bunch to pay for!

Lots of things are cheap and easy to do on your own, but you do need the information on how and where to do it! Hence, the guidebook. Libraries have them, or you can buy one at a bookstore.

For each port of call, you might want to prepare a plan B just in case weather is not cooperating. During our recent trip to the caribbeans, two excursions had to be cancelled due to rough ocean condition. We went on the island tours with local operators, overall not too bad experience, but if I had prepared well, we would have enjoyed more of these two stops.

Hello, I am hoping to get some help! My family of 5 is taking a Southern Carribean cruise in June on the Carnival Victory. My children, ages 7,15, and 21 are completely new to cruising. My husband and I have only taken a short cruise to Mexico and Grand Cayman last July. Our cruise stops at a port each day and leaves from San Juan. I really want to make it memorable for them all and there are so many ports and so many activities to choose from I am overwhelmed! My first question is about Peurto Rico. I thought it may be nice to fly in a couple days early and tour around a bit. What are your thoughts??? Is this a good idea?? If so can you suggest a motel and some things to see??? The other ports are ST. Thomas, Barbados, ST. Kitts, St. Maarten, and St. Lucia. I guess I am wondering what peoples favorite activities were??? I would love any help.

For each port of call, you might want to prepare a plan B just in case weather is not cooperating. During our recent trip to the caribbeans, two excursions had to be cancelled due to rough ocean condition. We went on the island tours with local operators, overall not too bad experience, but if I had prepared well, we would have enjoyed more of these two stops.

Very good guidance. On our last cruise 2 of our excursions were cancelled. We did not have a plan B, but did just grab a tour from the beach which were fine, but like ylimaster said, we could have enjoyed these 2 stops more if we had better prepared for a Plan B, even if it was only a beach to go to.

Archived