Inexpensive Ideas for Roatan?

snowcat

We are looking at a couple cruises that stop in Roatan. I'm trying to get port ideas before we book. Does anyone have any suggestions for an inexpensive day there? We love the beach and snorkeling. Any beaches near the cruise dock? How best to get around? Thanks for any suggestions!

Snow,

There isn't a whole lot to do or see in the immediate area of the cruiseship dock. The dock is located in Coxen Hole, which is the largest town on the island. But it isn't much, tourism wise. Somewhat a "shantytown." A little bit of gift type shopping but not near what you find in most cruise ports. Roatan is mostly a "natural beauty" island with world class diving and snorkeling, pretty beach areas, and beautiful scenery that is mostly undeveloped.

As for doing things on the cheap, you can easily do so, especially if you have your own snorkel gear. Simply get off the cruise ship, walk into Coxen Hole (so you aren't in the crowd immediately outside the cruiseship gate) and catch a cab to West End. There are some great little bars, shops, and restaurants in this community, and a decent beach. Very good snorkeling in "Half Moon Bay" - the bay right where the community starts. Hang out there for awhile, make your way to the western side of town, and catch a water taxi over to West Bay Beach (the prettiest beach on the island & the one that most of the cruiseship excursions end up at).

• 2 weeks later...

We are planning a relaxed day in Roatan. My question is, can (or should) I just take a cab to West End for beach, snorkeling, and dinner and then just take a cab back? Or should I book a tour with a guide?

I've read that West End Village is fairly compact and there is a water taxi to get to West Bay.

Thanks,

Bob

If you're just looking to lounge around on the beach, snorkel a little, have a couple of beers & some lunch, there really is no reason to book a guided tour or an official ship excursion.

*It should be very easy (and not overly costly) to take a cab from the cruise dock to West End. You might save a little $$ by walking away from the immediate area of the cruise dock, into town in Coxen Hole.

*West End is indeed a compact, nice little community on the water. A number of little restaurants, shops, dive shops, bars & hotels. At a leisurely pace, it takes maybe 5 minutes or so to walk from one end to the other. If you just want to lounge on the beach, read a book & have a beer or 2, there is a little bar right at the beginning of West End that has some beach chairs on the water. I don't think they charge for using them, provided you buy some drinks (the bar/restaurant is across the road).

*You can easily catch a water taxi from West End to West Bay. Just walk toward the western side of town (your left if you're facing the water). You'll see 2 buildings built out in the water. The first is Sueno Del Mar dive shop, the 2nd Fosters Bar (I think it is run under a different name now, though). Some of the water taxis stop at Fosters, some at one of the docks nearby. Wave one down (or they'll ask you when they see you walking the road). Charge is around a dollar or 2 each way typically; make sure you get the price set before you leave. They'll also offer to schedule a pickup time for your ride back.

Just be careful to watch your time & allow yourself plenty of time to get back to the ship for departure. Enjoy the island, it is beautiful.

What would a taxi charge from where the cruise ships dock to the West End. There are 10 of us. Are there vans? Are we better off booking at Fosters & having them pick us up/ Thanks.smile.gif

My concerns are the same. We are a party of ten. I've contacted Paul David, I think that's his name, but we are just looking for some relaxing beach time. Our problem is that we have two three year olds in our party of ten. SO really long walks won't work. Is it more cost effective to get a van or two taxis or should we just bite it and book with salt -n-pepper?

I hav eto admit, the boat snorkeling does sound fun, is it much superior to off the shore snorkeling?

Hello,

Right on the Cruise ship dock, are the Independent tours; their prices are posted and are "round trip". Your group should be able to negotiate a good price. Look at their prices anyway, so if you walk away from the dock to find a taxi, you will know what is a fair price.

There is a bar just east of the entrance to West End called Sundowners. It's right on the beach with cold drinks, chairs, shade, etc. and a bathroom. Next to it is Pizza 'n Snacks where you can get ice cream too. If anyone wants, there is a lovely place "Roatan Butterfly Garden" just before West End. With the babies, you may not want to walk there, but you can get the taxi/van to stop there; it's very inexpensive ($5/adults) and quite nice and interesting.

Also, several of the hotels will make arrangements for you to 'hang out' on their properties, using their facilities. Check the internet if you want to plan ahead.

Plan to spend some time on your way back to the cruise ship to explore Coxen Hole. There's a great restaurant/bar named Merry Sea Man's (not too far from the cruise ship dock on the main road) that has good island food and snacks, cold drinks, a lovely deck overlooking the sea, and it's decorated really funky. There are lots stores and nice gift shops; Yaba Ding Ding is right next to Warren's Supermarket and Main Street Mall is almost across from the cruise ship dock; both have a great assortment of Central American arts and crafts. It's a nice, interesting walk from the dock to "el centro", but may require carrying the babies.

Last but not least, it you want something quieter than West End, there are several hotels with beautiful uncrowded beaches who will accommodate you, one is Bay Islands Beach Resort. Tropicana Beach Club has a nice beach, too and a little pool right on the beach.

Hope you enjoy your visit.

I found out today a cab to West End from the dock that will sit and wait until you want to return the ship will cost you $15.00 per person. That is a cab totally dedicated to you. The cabbies outside are the cruiseship docks can cost just as much if not more, because you're a tourista. Just a tip on taxi's for you.

• 9 months later...
I found out today a cab to West End from the dock that will sit and wait until you want to return the ship will cost you $15.00 per person. That is a cab totally dedicated to you. The cabbies outside are the cruiseship docks can cost just as much if not more, because you're a tourista. Just a tip on taxi's for you.

So to take a taxi of four(2 adults, 2 kids) 6 miles and back (Coxen Hole to West End), I have to pay $60??? Something's wrong here. The local bus costs 60 cents. Is it not possible to get a taxi from West End without making prior arrangements? Can't a taxi be hailed from one of the West End resorts for the return trip?

andrew, confused

Archived