Question about Stingray City

leelee16

My fiance and I will be in Grand Cayman on March 28. We are getting married on the island. But I also REALLY want to go see the stingrays. All of the exursions I have found are too long for me to book, since I don't know what time we will be done with our wedding. Does anybody know if we can just take a cab or something ourselves to see them? Thanks!

maybe someone knows a way you can, i dont know, but when my dh and i did the stingray tour, we went by boat for quite a ways out there before we got to where they were. hope this helps. and congrats on the wedding! how romantic to have it there! lucky you!

My fiance and I will be in Grand Cayman on March 28. We are getting married on the island. But I also REALLY want to go see the stingrays. All of the exursions I have found are too long for me to book, since I don't know what time we will be done with our wedding. Does anybody know if we can just take a cab or something ourselves to see them? Thanks!

Stingray city is a giant sandbar out in the middle of the ocean. About a 20 boat ride........no you won't be able to take a taxi.....

Captain marvin is what, 2 hours or less .. ?

I think all the excursions take you out to the sand bar by boat... I dont know if you would want to just swim out or how strong of swimmers you are .. and what about all your wedding clothes?? just leave them on shore?? it sounds like problems to me to do on your own.

maybe someone knows a way you can, i dont know, but when my dh and i did the stingray tour, we went by boat for quite a ways out there before we got to where they were. hope this helps. and congrats on the wedding! how romantic to have it there! lucky you!

Thank You!!

p.s.....im from MO too!!!

Congratulations! I surely hope you can find a way to go to stingray city. I don't know how much you know about this place, but it is not a park or enclosure where they keep stingrays. These stingrays are free in the sea, and there is no enclosure to keep them there. There is nothing to show you that this is "Stingray City" except some boats parked in a circle.....wagon train style. You travel by boat to the area where the stringrays hang out, which is at a sand bar under the water. You get out of the boat and you are typically standing in about waist to chest deep water. The stingrays come to you, because they are used to being fed by the tourists. They are very friendly and gentle. Guides will catch one and let you pet and hold it. We love them! (Check out my avatar. We're holding one.) As I recall, the boat ride to and from the stingrays was about 30 minutes each way.

If you go, don't waste your limited time stopping by "Hell". It's just a tourist trap. Go directly to see the stingrays. It will be worth the trouble!

Archived