Cruise Travel Insurance

NHNEV2003

I tried to do a search for this topic but I couldn’t find specific information that I need.

For our last cruise, we purchased cruise insurance from Carnival at the time of booking.

I’m looking at alternatives for our next cruise.

How does Carnival’s insurance compare to 3rd party insurers? Do they offer the same coverage? How is their pricing compared to outside companies?

Is there any one outside insurer that’s better than the others as far as cost, coverage, ease of claims, etc?

Thanks

I tried to do a search for this topic but I couldn’t find specific information that I need.

For our last cruise, we purchased cruise insurance from Carnival at the time of booking.

I’m looking at alternatives for our next cruise.

How does Carnival’s insurance compare to 3rd party insurers? Do they offer the same coverage? How is their pricing compared to outside companies?

Is there any one outside insurer that’s better than the others as far as cost, coverage, ease of claims, etc?

Thanks

Here's some general info on so-called 3rd Party Insurers that I've put together. As indicated, some Policies are probably more suited to your needs/situation than others.

The Carnival Berkely Policy provides low Medical coverage, marginal MedEvac coverage and no "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions". The Policy DOES offer Future Cruise CREDIT if your claim is denied as due to a Pre-Existing Condition and now includes cancellation coverage for Hurricane Warning and Job Layoff. If you cancel your Cruise before final Payment, the Carnival Policy premium is refundable. Carnival and Berkely both claim that the Policy also covers your independently purchased AirFare. The Carnival Policy is less expensive than the 3rd party policies if you're age is in the 70’s, as Age is not factored into Carnival Berkely’s premium as it is with 3rd Party Policies.

The 3rd Party Trip Insurance Policies such as CSA, Travel-Ex and Travel-Insured offer much higher coverages and are much less expensive if you're younger. They generally offer "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions" (which can expedite the claims process) if you purchase w/in 14-21 days of your Cruise Deposit; CSA allows you to purchase up to Final Payment and retain the Waiver. Otherwise, you can purchase Carnival Berkely Insurance up to 14 days before sailaway, and you can purchase most other policies practically up to sailaway. You MUST be physically fit to travel the day you purchase.

Most Policies are “Secondary” meaning that you have to first file claims with your own Health and/or Homeowners Insurance and be reimbursed/rejected by them, then the 3rd party Policy will pay what your insurance doesn’t pay (up to the limits of the policy). Primary Policies pay everything (up to limits of the Policy) without requiring you to first file and coordinate benefits with your personal policies, which can help expedite the claims process.

Cancel for Any Reason” coverage is usually offered as an option, usually for additional 50% of the premium . It’s important to read the associated Policy as many policies do not pay 100% and many policies pay LESS the later you cancel. The Princess Berkely Policy and now the Carnival Berkely Policy include75% Cancel for Any Reason Future Cruise CREDIT.

The Carnival Berkely Policy covers Carnival Early Saver cancellation penalties (if you’re cancelling for a covered reason) by Carnival not issuing a Carnival Future Cruise Credit if you’re insured by Carnival Berkely (if you are otherwise insured you may need to ask to not have the future cruise credit issued).

You need to select a Policy at least somewhat based on your own situation/concerns (if traveling with kids, if prior medical conditions, if over age 70, if Military, if concerned about LayOff….:

Some TravelEx and TravelInsured Policies insure kids free with insured adults.

USAA offers their members discounted (about 9%) Travel-Insured Policies with some expanded coverages.

TravelEX is PRIMARY and includes kids under 16 free and offers a Business/Military upgrade.

CSA Freestyle includes Cancellation for Layoff and for School Year Extension.

Patriot TRIP is PRIMARY coverage and includes Cancellation for Layoff, Cancelled Leave for Military, Fire & Police and Missed Cruise for Flight Delay.

TravelSafe includes Cancel for Hurricane Warning and Cancel for Any Reason (not always 100%).

You can compare Policies and Premiums for your specific age, destination, dates and cruise costs, at the Insurer's sites or at sites such as www.insuremytrip.com and www.buyamericaninsurance.com . Note that some Policies also have a $6 or $8 application Fee added-on.

If you're not into Research, checkout CSA Freestyle, and TravelInsured Trip Protector and AIG TravelGuard Premier Protect.

FIRST check your personal Health Plan for out-of-country medical and MedEvac coverage, your Homeowners Insurance for Personal Property coverage, and your Credit Card for Trip Cancellation/Interruption, AD&D coverage, and Baggage Loss/Delay coverage and Rental Car DDW coverage!!! For Example:

· VISA Signature Card offers $500,000max Common Carrier Accidental Death & dismemberment, $3000max Lost Luggage by common carrier, $300max Luggage Delay by common carrier and Rental Car CDW.

· World MasterCard offers Flight AD&D and Rental Car CDW, minimal Trip Cancellation/Delay and Baggage coverage.

· Government Employee’s Blue Cross blue shield (BCBS) includes Out-of-Country Medical Coverage, via an out-of-country Provider Network.

Ken

I purchased Travelguard thru insuremytrip on my last two cruises

I compared the different companies plans on insuremytrip and found the same plan (Gold) was available directly from travelguard for $20 cheaper than on insuremytrip. ($169 vs $149) Just a heads up to check it out in the future! :)

I've used both insuremytrip and squaremouth for cruise insurance. A big consideration for us it that we can insure the ENTIRE trip - flights, pre and post cruise hotels stays, etc. And we can choose what is important for coverage from the available options.

Cruise line insurance only covers what you book through them, and it's a one size fits all type of coverage. I thought they were also very expensive compared to what I found on my own.

I use Travelex because they provide Primary coverage. I have filed 3 claims with them over the past few years. Each claim was paid correctly and timely. It is very important to read and understand your policy. Travelex offers several polices that cost about the same but provide Very Different coverage. If you purchase Travel Lite or Travel Plus and have to cancel due to sickness or injury of a non traveling family member you will not be covered. If you pruchase Travel Basic, Pre-existing conditions are not covered. Travel Max and Travel Select would cover these situations. Most policies offer a 10-14 day review period. In order to cover pre-existing conditions coverage must be purchased within 21 days of cruise deposit. Very important to understand your policy. Make sure your coverage fits your situation.

Thanks all for some great specific info-- we really appreciate your help.

I've looked at various companies/ plans this morning, and my eyes are now cross-eyed!

Probably the most important factor for us would be the "Cancel for any reason" provision--in your opinions, is any one of those companies better than the others?

The info about Primary vs Secondary seems important as well.

Thanks

Last time we were on Carnival, their insurance did not cover cancel for any reason, so we went with a 3rd party insurer from sites that are frequently recommended here. Other cruise lines include cancel for any reason insurance, so check the policy.

Thanks all for some great specific info-- we really appreciate your help.

I've looked at various companies/ plans this morning, and my eyes are now cross-eyed!

Probably the most important factor for us would be the "Cancel for any reason" provision--in your opinions, is any one of those companies better than the others?

The info about Primary vs Secondary seems important as well.

Thanks

Note that the 3rd party PolIcy's "Cancel for Any Reason" is usually 50% additional premium, usually has to be purchased within 14-21 days of cruise deposit, and generally only covers 70% to 80% (often less and less a percentage the later you cancel), and is a REFUND. The "Cancel for Any Reason" is included in the Carnival policy and is a 75% FUTURE CREDIT. If this option is really important to you, make sure that you're willing to pay a significant premium and that the coverage most likely won't be 100%.

All other considerations being equal (which they usually aren't) the PRIMARY would be preferable - in the situation where you don't have personal health insurance then it really has no value as there's no personal health insurance to "coordinate benefits" with.

Do you have Health Insurance with "out-of-country" coverage? If so, the Carnival Policy that includes your "Cancel for Any Reason" might be competitive, pricewise.

If you're traveling with kids you should check the TravelEx and TravelInsured Policies that insure kids free with insured adults.

ken

Bought my insurance last week but since I had put a deposit down a few months ago, I did have some exemptions such as pre-existing conditions and cancel for any reason.

I might suggest another forum to research here on CC is the Cruise/Travel Insurance forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635

Note that the 3rd party PolIcy's "Cancel for Any Reason" is usually 50% additional premium, usually has to be purchased within 14-21 days of cruise deposit, and generally only covers 70% to 80% (often less and less a percentage the later you cancel), and is a REFUND. The "Cancel for Any Reason" is included in the Carnival policy and is a 75% FUTURE CREDIT. If this option is really important to you, make sure that you're willing to pay a significant premium and that the coverage most likely won't be 100%.

All other considerations being equal (which they usually aren't) the PRIMARY would be preferable - in the situation where you don't have personal health insurance then it really has no value as there's no personal health insurance to "coordinate benefits" with.

Do you have Health Insurance with "out-of-country" coverage? If so, the Carnival Policy that includes your "Cancel for Any Reason" might be competitive, pricewise.

If you're traveling with kids you should check the TravelEx and TravelInsured Policies that insure kids free with insured adults.

ken

Ken- Thanks to you and all the others for help.

I don't know if my health insurance has "out-of country" coverage-- will have to check. Also, no kids traveling with us.

I will continue to research-- thanks agin all!!

I use Travelex because they provide Primary coverage. I have filed 3 claims with them over the past few years. Each claim was paid correctly and timely. It is very important to read and understand your policy. Travelex offers several polices that cost about the same but provide Very Different coverage. If you purchase Travel Lite or Travel Plus and have to cancel due to sickness or injury of a non traveling family member you will not be covered. If you pruchase Travel Basic, Pre-existing conditions are not covered. Travel Max and Travel Select would cover these situations. Most policies offer a 10-14 day review period. In order to cover pre-existing conditions coverage must be purchased within 21 days of cruise deposit. Very important to understand your policy. Make sure your coverage fits your situation.

One more quick question-- how can you tell if a policy is Primary or not-- I didn't see anything in comparing companies and plans that noted that.

One more quick question-- how can you tell if a policy is Primary or not-- I didn't see anything in comparing companies and plans that noted that.

Ha! Usually buried in the Policy statement will be a section saying words to the effect that the policy pays after your other insurance(s) have paid. InsureMyTrip.com probably lists Primary/Secondary in their comparison charts. I believe all TravelEx Policies, IMG Patriot TRIP, and AIG TravelGuard Cruise Tour are PRIMARY. Most of the rest, including CruiseLine policies are Secondary. The advantage of PRIMARY is that it should speed-up the claims process, mainly for Medical claims.

Make sure you check your Health Insurance coverage (at minimum they should reimburse you at the out-of-network rate) and determine if the "Cancel for Any Reasn" is truly worthwhile/cost-effective.

Post any Questions!

ken

ken

One more thing on the insurance topic-- I hadn't even thought about the "out-of-country" coverage question until Ken mentioned it.

I've asked our HR person and she doesn't know-- I've sent a message to our insurance company to answer the question.

Thanks for mentioning that Ken--appreciate the help!

One more thing on the insurance topic-- I hadn't even thought about the "out-of-country" coverage question until Ken mentioned it.

I've asked our HR person and she doesn't know-- I've sent a message to our insurance company to answer the question.

Thanks for mentioning that Ken--appreciate the help!

Check specifically for "Out-of-Country" coverage, which many policies don't have. If that's not included, then determine if they will at least reimburse you at the "out-of-network" reimbursement if your're sick/injured out of the country (and what that rate is). Ken

Im tryng to figure out the insurance quotes. All of them want to know what the price of the trip is but if you click on the highlighted area that says trip cost this is what they will insure.

Trip Cost:

Trip Cost refers to the total prepaid and non-refundable expenses already submitted toward the trip regardless of who booked the arrangements. This does not include estimated or anticipated costs that have not yet been paid.

So if all you have done is booked your cruise and paid a deposit of $250 how do you insure the rest of the cruise price, your airfare and hotel rooms?

Im tryng to figure out the insurance quotes. All of them want to know what the price of the trip is but if you click on the highlighted area that says trip cost this is what they will insure.

Trip Cost:

Trip Cost refers to the total prepaid and non-refundable expenses already submitted toward the trip regardless of who booked the arrangements. This does not include estimated or anticipated costs that have not yet been paid.

So if all you have done is booked your cruise and paid a deposit of $250 how do you insure the rest of the cruise price, your airfare and hotel rooms?

I'm not sure where you saw that definition for "trip cost"?

If you're just checking to see what your policy will cost, you enter the total of the cruisefare, airfare and non-refundable lodging costs.

If you're purchasing the Policy you enter the Cruisefare as listed in your booking. If you've purchased airfare at that time you can addit, or you can call the insurer later to add (and pay added premium) for airfare and non-refundable lodging.

Nothing prevents you from entering the projected cost of your airfare and lodging, and correcting it later.

ken

I'm not sure where you saw that definition for "trip cost"?

If you're just checking to see what your policy will cost, you enter the total of the cruisefare, airfare and non-refundable lodging costs.

If you're purchasing the Policy you enter the Cruisefare as listed in your booking. If you've purchased airfare at that time you can addit, or you can call the insurer later to add (and pay added premium) for airfare and non-refundable lodging.

Nothing prevents you from entering the projected cost of your airfare and lodging, and correcting it later.

ken

Here is the webpage from Travelguard as an example.

http://buy.travelguard.com/tgi2/calculators/PI/calculator.aspx?pcode=PAA&br=tgdirect&intcmp=clc-001-Nav-2-TIGetQuote&arc=000329&st=13&cn=1&plan=104585&prc=606700

If you click on the trip cost with the ? that is what it says. I understand if you are shopping around you can enter all of the projected cost but if you want to purchase it says exactly what I quoted above from the webpage. I just want to make sure if I put in an estimate of the costs and something did happen they would not come back and say show me when you purchased airfare and the hotel. Oops you purchased those two months after the the insurance and not cover it. I hope that makes since, I just want to make sure I do it right.

I have always used insuremytrip and usually buy the Travel Guard Lite.

However, a friend of ours recently asked if DH had ever been in the military. She told me to check out USAA. We just got the exact same insurance for $80 instead of $120 from USAA. So if you have a military connection........even in the past....check it out.

I have always used insuremytrip and usually buy the Travel Guard Lite.

However, a friend of ours recently asked if DH had ever been in the military. She told me to check out USAA. We just got the exact same insurance for $80 instead of $120 from USAA. So if you have a military connection........even in the past....check it out.

USAA offers three TravelInsured policies that are quite decent, offered at a reduced rate, and with several of the coverages expanded (some doubled) for USAA members. If you're a USAA member or eligible, this is a good first place to look. ken

Here is the webpage from Travelguard as an example.

http://buy.travelguard.com/tgi2/calculators/PI/calculator.aspx?pcode=PAA&br=tgdirect&intcmp=clc-001-Nav-2-TIGetQuote&arc=000329&st=13&cn=1&plan=104585&prc=606700

If you click on the trip cost with the ? that is what it says. I understand if you are shopping around you can enter all of the projected cost but if you want to purchase it says exactly what I quoted above from the webpage. I just want to make sure if I put in an estimate of the costs and something did happen they would not come back and say show me when you purchased airfare and the hotel. Oops you purchased those two months after the the insurance and not cover it. I hope that makes since, I just want to make sure I do it right.

To be totally safe, If you're purchasing enter the cost of the cruise from your booking confirmation, then later call them to add the exact airfare and later to add the exact non-refundable lodging (it makes no sense to pay for insuring lodging that you can cancel to practically the last minute).

ken

Archived