Cruise Travel Insurance

NHNEV2003

I tried to do a search for this topic but I couldn’t find specific information that I need.

For our last cruise, we purchased cruise insurance from Carnival at the time of booking.

I’m looking at alternatives for our next cruise.

How does Carnival’s insurance compare to 3rd party insurers? Do they offer the same coverage? How is their pricing compared to outside companies?

Is there any one outside insurer that’s better than the others as far as cost, coverage, ease of claims, etc?

Thanks

I use http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/ as Steve and his bunch are easy to get ahold of with questions.

I'm glad I dug into this-- I have learned a ton in the last week.

Like any insurance, each individual has to decide A) Do I need it? B) How much do I need?

I answered to myself-- yes I need it--- and I need this much coverage.

Which product/ vendor is another question that needs to be looked at-- there are numerous companies offering differing plans/ levels of coverage. The plan that is right for one person may not be the right plan for the next person.

We have picked a coverage that is reasonable in cost, and compared to the potential financial risk of injury, illness, trip cancellation, etc, it is well worth it for total peace of mind---both before, and during our next cruise.

I want to thank all who have posted here, and to all who have posted in the "Insurance" section on this website--it truly has been a wealth of very, very important information.

Appreciate the help!

...........The plan that is right for one person may not be the right plan for the next person....EXACTLY!!!!!.......

Appreciate the help!

Out of curiosity, which Policy did you decide on??? It's OK to post that info here! Ken

Out of curiosity, which Policy did you decide on??? It's OK to post that info here! Ken

Ken--

We're going with TravelSafe

Plan name is: "Vacation Insurance"

We're adding the "Cancel For Any Reason" coverage.

Thanks again for your help!

Ken--

We're going with TravelSafe

Plan name is: "Vacation Insurance"

We're adding the "Cancel For Any Reason" coverage.

Thanks again for your help!

I've looked art them, but for whatever reason never paid too much attention to them. The seemed a bit pricier than others but on the other hand have very high Missed Connection and MedEVAC coverages, include some AD&D coverage, and have a very detailed, explicit Policy. IMO you're WELL Covered. ken

We are blessed to have excellent health care coverage through hubby's work that covers us where we are in the world...but I double checked with them about EVAC....

we are covered for a medical evacuation IF there are no sufficient health facilities to handle the injury.

For example: If I have a heart attack on the ship, the ship is not a "sufficient health care facility" to handle that....so our policy would pay a medivac off the ship.

However, IF we were in Cozumel....they do have hospitals which are considered "sufficient health care facilities". So it would NOT pay for a medivac back to the US. Now do I want open heart surgery in Cozumel?????

These are the things that people have to think about even IF they have excellent health care coverage through their employment.

We are blessed to have excellent health care coverage through hubby's work that covers us where we are in the world...but I double checked with them about EVAC....

we are covered for a medical evacuation IF there are no sufficient health facilities to handle the injury.

For example: If I have a heart attack on the ship, the ship is not a "sufficient health care facility" to handle that....so our policy would pay a medivac off the ship.

However, IF we were in Cozumel....they do have hospitals which are considered "sufficient health care facilities". So it would NOT pay for a medivac back to the US. Now do I want open heart surgery in Cozumel?????

These are the things that people have to think about even IF they have excellent health care coverage through their employment.

...and...most policies are written that, if for instance you were aboard ship, you'd only be MedEVAC'd to the nearest adequate facility, which would be a hospital on mainland Mexico or on any of the popular Islands (all of which have "adequate" hospitals for most medical cases), but not to the US.

I believe There IS at least one, more expensive, Travel Insurance Policy that allows you to elect to be transported to the US. I believe there are several Trip Insurance Policies that will further pay to have you subsequently transported to US if treatment the nearest adequate hospital isn't working.

So, MORE considerations in shooping Trip Insurance Policies!

ken

...and...most policies are written that, if for instance you were aboard ship, you'd only be MedEVAC'd to the nearest adequate facility, which would be a hospital on mainland Mexico or on any of the popular Islands (all of which have "adequate" hospitals for most medical cases), but not to the US.

I believe There IS at least one, more expensive, Travel Insurance Policy that allows you to elect to be transported to the US. I believe there are several Trip Insurance Policies that will further pay to have you subsequently transported to US if treatment the nearest adequate hospital isn't working.

So, MORE considerations in shooping Trip Insurance Policies!

ken

WOW...I did not realize that even travel insurance that you purchase does not guarantee medical transport back to the US.

That was an "assumption" that I was making !!!

Thanks Ken for all the hardwork in helping us through this insurance MAZE...

YOU ROCK!!!

It might be kind of irrelevant anyway - if the situation is serious enough to be MEDEVAC'd off the ship it might be that immediate "adequate" medical attention is more important than (maybe impractical) transport to the US. ken

USAA members are redirected from the USAA site to Travelex which offers primary coverage at attractive rates. :)

I get re-directed to TravelInsured. Only the Gold Policy is Primary, remainder are Secondary. When I last checked, they offer some expanded coverages for USAA members and are priced a bit less than equivalent Policy on the Internet, and USAA doesn't charge the $6 or $7 service charge when purchasing. ken

I get re-directed to TravelInsured. Only the Gold Policy is Primary, remainder are Secondary. When I last checked, they offer some expanded coverages for USAA members and are priced a bit less than equivalent Policy on the Internet, and USAA doesn't charge the $6 or $7 service charge when purchasing. ken

Oops, you're right Ken. It's been months since purchase.

Archived