Attire for the week.... carry on only?

1stTimer02/2011

It used to be that boys couldn't wait until they were old enough to wear long pants. I don't think wearing a pair of big boy pants to dinner is too much to ask. Shorts are for daytime; pants are for dinner.

Tell you what. If you ever invite me to dinner in your house, make the rules and I'll wear pants. Otherwise I will dress in allowable, comfortable attire.

Wow, just came back to the board after a couple of days away, and was blown away by how many people responded to my post!

I think I'm going to pull out the luggage and do a few dry runs... then ask myself if I'm really going to wear all of this stuff?!?!? Would anyone really care if I wear the same thing over and over again??

Pack light, then remove half of what you packed. :)

Would anyone really care if I wear the same thing over and over again??

NO! Absolutely not, and if anyone did say something they are very rude and don't deserve any acknowledgement from you.

Honestly, you might run into some people more than once, but I really question if they are paying attention to what you are wearing. Like Dee said, you are travelling to SEE and not to be seen. And wearing a 'clean shirt to dinner and then the next day as your daywear really isn't like wearing the same thing constantly. Besides mix it up, put a top in the closet to hang/air out and wear it again a day or two later, that way it won't seem like it is the same outfit over and over. ;)

Wow, just came back to the board after a couple of days away, and was blown away by how many people responded to my post!

I think I'm going to pull out the luggage and do a few dry runs... then ask myself if I'm really going to wear all of this stuff?!?!? Would anyone really care if I wear the same thing over and over again??

Trust me they won't. It is their vacation. Unless you stand out wearing the same yellow plaid shirt every day when you are lining up for excursions, no one will notice or care.:)

Like the previous poster I plan my days by my nights - I like having a fresh set of clothes for supper and then wear them the next day. I never wash any clothes but I do pack undies for all the days plus one. I wear everything twice in rotation - about 2-3 shorts, 2-3 capris, 2 pants and a black dress with various scarves, sweaters, jewelry. Don't forget you get your roll-aboard PLUS a personal item which for me is a backpack and holds my Kindle, camera, binocs and bible along with the quart bag of liquids and post it notes (leave notes for DH) and highlighter so I can highlight the daily news - thingy with where we want to go and do. I always have room for DH's extra stuff cause my clothes are so small and his so big. For shoes I wear crocs - they have some pretty sandles and are very light weight and comfortable - 2-3 pair. I roll everything up and usually have two layers of rolls in the roll-aboard. I often don't wear everything.

The only catch to all of this is that we live in frozen MN so I arrive at the airport wearing wool socks in my crocs (DD would kill me if she knew) and I wear a dressy fleece over a ls t-shirt, my heaviest pants and then I add my HUGE sun hat - because there's no place to pack it. I am quite the odd picture I'm afraid. I pretend not to care because it is so worth it to me and DH. Hope this helps.

DH is wondering what acceptable attire for the week would be...

We like the idea, and the challenge, of using carry-on luggage only to pack, as to cut down on time at the airport...

Is it possible to live out of carry-on luggage for 1 week??

Is there anything specific "clothing wise" we HAVE to bring with us, even though its "Freestyle" cruising??

Ideas and suggestions are welcome please!

Sailing on the Spirit 02/27 - 03/06

If you are only cruising for a week, and in a warm temp area (don't need sweaters and coats), you might be able to pull off surviving on carry on.

You would need to do some hand washing. We did some handwashing with Tide specifically designed for handwashing in the sink. Most NCL ships have a line in the shower that you can hang clothes on. Still, take another line of your own, and some small clothes pins. Also, you may use the bulk wash deal offered by NCL for $25.

One problem with only a carry on bag is the number of shoes that you bring. They take up a lot of space, and if you only use one pair of shoes on the trip, take some foot powder!

I used carry on only for a week cruise on Spirit in Oct. I had enough clothes for Canada/New England, but it was a hassle on the plane, because everyone brings a lot of carry ons and there is no room in the overhead bins. They had to take the 22" from me because of lack of space. In March on Jewel I am bringing a checked bag.

I used carry on only for a week cruise on Spirit in Oct. I had enough clothes for Canada/New England, but it was a hassle on the plane, because everyone brings a lot of carry ons and there is no room in the overhead bins. They had to take the 22" from me because of lack of space. In March on Jewel I am bringing a checked bag.

But since there was no room for it the airline didn't charge you for it. Why pay when it might go free?

Okay, you lost me with this one. Your CPAP machine has its own carryon allowance and doesn't have to go in your 1 +1.

I'm not talking about flying...just lugging the stuff around. I like to put it in a carry on when I'm cruising, and it leaves very little room for a lots of clothes and personal stuff, so I have to use a large suitcase that I give to the porter on the dock, and a carryon.

flying is a whole different ball of wax.....I have a carry-on (with CPAP) suitcase that I check, and a purse.

If you are only cruising for a week, and in a warm temp area (don't need sweaters and coats), you might be able to pull off surviving on carry on.

You would need to do some hand washing. We did some handwashing with Tide specifically designed for handwashing in the sink. Most NCL ships have a line in the shower that you can hang clothes on. Still, take another line of your own, and some small clothes pins. Also, you may use the bulk wash deal offered by NCL for $25.

One problem with only a carry on bag is the number of shoes that you bring. They take up a lot of space, and if you only use one pair of shoes on the trip, take some foot powder!

I've done carry-on-only for 10 days in Oregon and wore a dressy fleece and raincoat on the plane for the cold. As long as you have fresh undies every day and dressy t-shirts that take hardly any room you should be just fine. As I've mentioned, crocs are quite dressy these days and you can wash them out in the shower and they weigh hardly anything.

I've done carry-on-only for 10 days in Oregon and wore a dressy fleece and raincoat on the plane for the cold. As long as you have fresh undies every day and dressy t-shirts that take hardly any room you should be just fine. As I've mentioned, crocs are quite dressy these days and you can wash them out in the shower and they weigh hardly anything.

I haven't read all the replies so somebody may have already recommended this. Go to packinglight.com and watch their video of the "bundling" method for packing.This is how I pack and it really does work. Don't get frustrated and give up-it takes a few times to get everything to fit, but it will!

It took me several trips to become a believer in carry on only, but it really does make traveling easier. One of the benefits is that I am no longer anxious about whether my luggage has made it to the same destination (and in one piece) as me. I no longer have to worry about someone mistaking my luggage for theirs, or having to put out my luggage the night before disembarkation and all of the planning (and forgetting) that that entails.

For those who think that they can't pack light; the next time you are packing your suitcase to come home, make note of the number of outfits and shoes that you never wore and of those that you only wore once, could you have made do with rewearing something else? Accessories are great for changing up an outfit and are small to pack. If you are concerned about having a back up outfit, then you can always have one piece cleaned if it becomes stained or stinky.

Having travelled with two kids since they were babies has also made me realize that they don't need as much as you think they will. Yes pack lots of clothes, but those are small. Leave the diapers in the packaging as they are more compressed than you could ever squish into your luggage. Pack fewer toys and those that you do take should be small and lightweight. There are so many new sights and sounds on a big ship that they won't need many toys and most kids clubs have a toy library that you can borrow from for those that are too young for club itself. Don't forget a couple of small books and a favourite small stuffie for bed time. Having a couple of special things from home can make it easier to get them to sleep.

One of the best advantages to packing light is the peace of mind.

N.

I am assuming the Carribean: do not take any jeans unless you are going to Alaska - stick with dockers for dinner and cooler weather and shorts for warmer weather. Dockers and a shirt with a collar will get DH into any dining room on the ship. Jeans are heavy and do not compress as well as lighter materials. Take 2 pairs of shoes (one for evening and one to give your feet a break - sandals - as light weight as possible) and wear a pair (tennis shoes). 2 bathing suits, 4 pair undies, 1 sleep shirt (we wash out things like undies, socks, and anything else light weight during the week). Take a pair of black pants (something light and non-wrinkling-think chicos) and 2 nice tops (again light and non-wrinkling) for yourself.

This is not the whole list, but after 10 years of doing carryon (even to Europe in the winter and Alaska) we have taken it to a science. You CAN DO THIS - just keep in mind "if I may wear it" don't pack it - only the "for sures" get in my carryon:)

Archived