Arriving to ship early/what to do with carry on....

BOBFudge

We only have carryon. We didn't need to find a "special" door to get to our cabin. We just took the elevator to our deck and opened the hall door. We walked to our cabin and dropped off the luggage , putting it under the bed.

We said "Hi" to the steward and went up to lunch.

We didn't "sneak" anything and we were more comfortable at lunch. IF the door had been locked then we would not have done it.

This is what we did on our first cruise. The stewards just looked at us, and when they saw we were just dropping off went about their business. We didn't do anything to get in their way.

DW, knowing we planned on boarding as early as possible, announced that DH (me - the pack mule) would be shlepping ALL the carry-on until our cabin was available. Therefore I got a backpack with wheels, which I really like. I drug it all over Key West also, collecting swag from all the shopping stops. "Jeep" brand backpack from Walmart, $34.

Its not "sneaking" if you walk to your cabin and there is no one there and you put your carry on in the room!!!

But if you want to think of it as "sneaking" that sounds more dangerous and exciting!!! lol

If you are opening the CLOSED DOORS, you are sneaking!!! They are closed for a reason. Sorry, but I totally feel that if the door is closed, you aren't meant to be there.

DH and I usually grab a table on Lido and do the "I'll sit with the stuff while you go get food" thing and then switch. Then, depending on the time, we'll make our way down to the cabins. If the fire door is still closed, we find somewhere to wait.

I would be thrilled to be the first person on the ship. However, I've always arrived at the port around 10:30 am or 10:45 am and been onboard by noon at the latest. Probably more like 11:30. Typically, we'll grab a table on lido deck and take turns at the buffet so that we don't have to carry our bags with us. Then we'll sit and have a drink until the cabins are ready. Last time, we (Mom and I) had between us a rolling bag with the heavy pop and wine, over the shoulder bag with our clothes and we each had a purse with our valuables/money/id. We also had a flat of water that we toted on the rolling bag. Most of the stuff was easy to get around. It's just the water that was a pain.

I guess its all in the mind. If the signs state cabins wouldnt be ready until 1:30 pm they post .. but you know there has to be a door open for the baggage handlers .. and you know how to find it .. some dont think its sneaking to use the luggage handlers door.

To me its imposing on others, which I try not to do in life in general. Each to their own.

OP as you can see, many think the signs dont mean them. Its up to you.

You know you really shouldn't do this. Between the room stewards trying to clean the rooms, the carts/vacuum cleaners in the hallway and maintenance workers doing their thing, the last thing they want to see is you and your bag. At the very least it indicates you are inconsiderate of others and feel the rules are for someone else.

I completely agree! The room stewards already have to work a miracle to get those rooms ready for a new set of passengers. Why would I make it harder for them? They close those fire doors for a reason. They don't want you down the halls or in the cabins!

What if everyone took the attitude of "well, they won't mind!" Then we would have everyone in the way, wouldn't we. Why not just follow the rules, and then everyone will be ensured a good cruise, including the staff and crew!

To the OP: you need to keep your carry on(s) with you until the cabins are ready to be occupied.

I must say that when we sailed Holland, they offered a service that was wonderful! They roped off the stage area of the lido deck, you could drop off your carry on with them, and pick it up by 2 pm. I wish all the lines would do this!

If you're going to your stateroom before the communicated time to drop off whatever it is you carried on, other passengers are doing the same thing. I'm not going to take a chance leaving my irreplaceable and expensive meds, toiletries, etc., and have them stolen before I even set sail. I don't care where you hide them in your stateroom, all the stateroom doors are propped open for easy cleaning and access by the room stewards. Don't think for a minute that your Room Steward is going to make sure your personal belongings are safe, they bear no responsibility for personal belongings left in staterooms before the established and communicated time clearly stated on notices that all passengers receive when they check in. The fire door in the hall is closed for a reason, they don't want passengers coming into that area, case closed. It amazes me how people can justify their actions and proud of the ways they can circumvent the sytem and the established rules and regulations.

If you're going to your stateroom before the communicated time to drop off whatever it is you carried on, other passengers are doing the same thing. I'm not going to take a chance leaving my irreplaceable and expensive meds, toiletries, etc., and have them stolen before I even set sail. I don't care where you hide them in your stateroom, all the stateroom doors are propped open for easy cleaning and access by the room stewards. Don't think for a minute that your Room Steward is going to make sure your personal belongings are safe, they bear no responsibility for personal belongings left in staterooms before the established and communicated time clearly stated on notices that all passengers receive when they check in. The fire door in the hall is closed for a reason, they don't want passengers coming into that area, case closed. It amazes me how people can justify their actions and proud of the ways they can circumvent the sytem and the established rules and regulations.

Well said. I agree with you 100%. Either the rule breakers don't realize how ridiculous they look to many of us who do follow the rules, or they don't care because they're arrogant.

BTW, I think it was a good question by the OP (not ridiculous or arrogant at all), and I like the idea of the baggage check on the Lido deck. For those of us with small children (and therefore more carry on items) that sounds nice! :)

Here's another twist to the early drop off scenario.....your steward may not realize that it's "new" luggage and not left behind by the previous passenger...and out goes your stuff.

If I can wait until 1:30 while schlepping carry on luggage for a family of 5, trust me it's not that bad. :D

I barely like to carry my purse, let alone a bag...lol. I've started checking everything in....if my bag's not there in time for dinner, I'll wear what I have on. No more lugging stuff around for me..I'm on vacation!!!..:p

This is what we do also....no need to carry anything when you can check it........meds and valuables go in my handbag.....

I totally agree with janjrun.

We sailed on HAL a few years ago and they announced the "Carryon Corral" as we got on the ship. You took your carryon to the roped off area of the LIDO, you got a claim ticket similar to a coat check and you left your bag locked with the attendants.

When you were done with lunch and the rooms were ready you turned in your ticket, picked up your carry on and didn't have to schlep it all over the ship.

Great idea, It made the first day so much more enjoyable. Still kept money id etc in my Ameribag over my shoulder so my hands were free in buffet, but DH was happy not to have to balance carry ons and Bud Light at same time.

DH and I usually grab a table on Lido and do the "I'll sit with the stuff while you go get food" thing and then switch. Then, depending on the time, we'll make our way down to the cabins. If the fire door is still closed, we find somewhere to wait.

This is what we do also. We love getting there early and we do not mind packing our stuff around until the rooms are ready.:D

We always take our carry on to lunch. I get the table while DH gets his lunch. I like to be 2nd getting the lunch as I can take my time and look at everything. DH feels bad that I am sitting there and he hurrys getting his.:D

I think I've read the word "schlep" in this thread more times than I have in my entire life.:p

I carry a large handbag with the laptop and camera and DH carries(rolls) the rolling backpack with the 2 bottles of wine and energy drinks. Never been a huge deal for us.

I don't think its that bad. Most people are carrying around something with them. I could see where it might be hard with families with children though. I think the key is just to grab a seat and wait if you don't want to carry stuff around.

On my last cruise. Mom and I did the take turns watching the luggage...we ate...we got out of the buffet area so other people could sit and eat and I took mom down to the promenade, found some seats and took a load off until 1:30pm. You don't really know how fast the time flies when you start getting herded onto the ship, eat, walk a few places. Bam! Time to go to the room.

Just think of it as a bit more exercise before the food fest commencing. lol :D

Then how do you get into the public restrooms?

Good one!

What's the big deal?

Just give the carry on to your wife.

For the families.

Just give them to your kids.

That's what kids are for :-)

I will have three laptops, my allotted 12 non-alcoholic beverages, and a 750 ml bottle of a very nice cab in my back pack. You can bet that I will immediately find my room upon boarding. If it has been cleaned, I will drop my stuff off (and leave a note for the steward notifying him/her of this). I would never think of putting any of my belongings in the room before it has been cleaned, however. Ewwww.

Archived