PVSA confusion

Starshine95123

My head is spinning because I've been looking at September 2011 b2b cruises for the last 3 days. The first cruise I wanted was: b2b Van-Whit-Van (Sept 10-17 and 17-24), and then taking the coastal from Van to SF Sept 24-26, all on the Coral. I suspected that was illegal, called Princess, and unfortunately, the coastal part would be illegal. So now the plan is: b2b Van-Whit-Van Sept 7-14 and 14-21 on the Island, spend 3 days in Vancouver, then take the Coral coastal from Van to SF Sept 24-26. This would be legal since I'm staying in Vancouver between the b2b and the coastal, right? I just wanted to run this by the CC experts before I start researching hotels and what to do in Vancouver. :D I hope I finally got it right!

I'm with Paul -- that first itinerary looks perfectly legal to me, too. There's no substantive difference between a Vancouver-Whittier and a Vancouver-SFO journey -- they're both traveling between close foreign port to US port. Could it be that the Princess person was just uneducated/misinformed/flat-out wrong? (What?! A Princess CSR who gives out wrong info? Can't imagine such a thing . . . !) If it's your first choice, I don't think I'd give up on #1 quite yet, if I were you.

Princess was incorrect. We are on the Coral Princess September 10th Vancouver/Whittier, September 17th Whittier/Vancouver and September 24th Vancouver/San Francisco b2b2b and so are lots of our friends. I suggest you contact your TA or call Princess again. In the eyes of the PVSA it is a long cruise from Vancouver to San Francisco.

But doesn't Princess consider these three individual voyages? I talked to a friend at Princess and he said the OP's first itinerary is illegal. He tried putting it into their system and the coastal cannot be linked to the Whittier to Vancouver leg.

Largin, I suspect they'll figure it out and cancel that portion of y'all's cruise... :(

Ah, I get it. You'd think there's be some way to override that, though, since it's obvious that the passenger would be starting the b2b2b in what would be a legal embarkation city.

Can the Alaska portion be booked as one 14-day cruise? That would be a possible solution.

But doesn't Princess consider these three individual voyages? I talked to a friend at Princess and he said the OP's first itinerary is illegal. He tried putting it into their system and the coastal cannot be linked to the Whittier to Vancouver leg.

Largin, I suspect they'll figure it out and cancel that portion of y'all's cruise... :(

Nope.. In 2008, I did the same b2b2b in reverse.. SF/Vancouver, Vancouver/Whitter, Whitter/Vancouver. Your friend was correct that he could not link the Whitter/Vancouver to the Coastal to San Francisco but if he would plug in the Vancouver/Whittier first then the Whitter/Vancouver second and the coastal third, it will work. I had a long discussion with a Princess Supervisor on the matter and after elevating again she told me I was correct.

Ah, I get it. You'd think there's be some way to override that, though, since it's obvious that the passenger would be starting the b2b2b in what would be a legal embarkation city.

Can the Alaska portion be booked as one 14-day cruise? That would be a possible solution.

Personally, I don't think that Princess would have a problem doing that, it's the government who considers the voyage illegal (pesky law! :p).

Nope.. In 2008, I did the same b2b2b in reverse.. SF/Vancouver, Vancouver/Whitter, Whitter/Vancouver. Your friend was correct that he could not link the Whitter/Vancouver to the Coastal to San Francisco but if he would plug in the Vancouver/Whittier first then the Whitter/Vancouver second and the coastal third, it will work. I had a long discussion with a Princess Supervisor on the matter and after elevating again she told me I was correct.

Okey-doke... good luck! He did say that once the Whittier-Vancouver leg and the coastal were linked, dire warnings appeared on the screen... I'm not sure if he tried the whole itinerary...

Okey-doke... good luck! He did say that once the Whittier-Vancouver leg and the coastal were linked, dire warnings appeared on the screen... I'm not sure if he tried the whole itinerary...

There is no question that Whittier - Vancouver - SF is illegal. Passenger would be taken from one us port (Whittier) to another (SF) without visiting a distant foriegn port.

Largin, your exact itinerary is what I want!

I was on hold for a few minutes while the CSR went to "another department" to get the answer. He said the department said no way could I do Van-Whit-Van-SF. I'll try calling again tomorrow and ask to speak to a supervisor in whatever department is supposed to "know".:D

I'll keep you posted.

The CSR checked with "another department" and said my first choice itinerary was fine. :D So, now I hope to book it tomorrow. Hopefully we'll be cruising with LARGIN and Cruisin Sal in September. Will talk to hubby when he gets home and share the news.

Thanks everyone, I'm sure glad you guys had me check again!

The CSR checked with "another department" and said my first choice itinerary was fine. :D So, now I hope to book it tomorrow. Hopefully we'll be cruising with LARGIN and Cruisin Sal in September. Will talk to hubby when he gets home and share the news.

Thanks everyone, I'm sure glad you guys had me check again!

Will be nice meeting you & hubby.

Archived