ROLL CALL - Amadolce Romantic Danube 11-10-11

cruisingmad

Hi Sergio,

Welcome to river cruising. I'm sure you will love it as most of us on this board do. You will find many people who will give you great advice. In the meantime, why don't you check the "Roll Call" section of this board. Just scroll up to "Roll Calls" and hit on "All River Cruise Roll Calls" and you might find others who are on your river cruise.

Sheila

Hi Sergio,

Welcome to river cruising. I'm sure you will love it as most of us on this board do. You will find many people who will give you great advice. In the meantime, why don't you check the "Roll Call" section of this board. Just scroll up to "Roll Calls" and hit on "All River Cruise Roll Calls" and you might find others who are on your river cruise.

Sheila

Thanks for the tip, Sheila. As much as I love ocean cruising, I have a feeling that exploring river cruises will be a wonderful adventure.

I'll open a Roll Call thread on the board you mentioned. I didn't see that option at first.

Any general advice for a novice?

Sergio

Hi again Sergio,

First of all, you have picked a good company for your first river cruise and a new ship (2009) and a great itinerary. If you haven't been to the first port or the last, I suggest you go in earlier to sightsee. The ship holds 148 passengers so you will get a chance to meet everyone on your cruise. The people who river cruise are usually well traveled and interesting. You said you were traveling alone, but that shouldn't be any problem since people are so friendly. I suggest you spend some time going through some of the threads on this board and you will have a chance to obtain some good info.

Happy crusing.

Sheila

Hi again Sergio,

First of all, you have picked a good company for your first river cruise and a new ship (2009) and a great itinerary. If you haven't been to the first port or the last, I suggest you go in earlier to sightsee. The ship holds 148 passengers so you will get a chance to meet everyone on your cruise. The people who river cruise are usually well traveled and interesting. You said you were traveling alone, but that shouldn't be any problem since people are so friendly. I suggest you spend some time going through some of the threads on this board and you will have a chance to obtain some good info.

Happy crusing.

Sheila

Thanks, Sheila. I'm going with AMA's Prague 3-day package to start the tour, and an additional night on Budapest on my own. I was in both cities 20 years ago and always wanted to return.

I'm also trying to "educate" myself on everything river cruise as I plan for my trip. This board, as you well suggest, is a tremendous resource.

Regards,

Sergio

Hi Sergio,

I don't know if you've seen a AMA video of their cruises, but if you go to youtube.com and put in European River Cruises, it will bring it up. It's a very good video of several of their ships and the sights you will see along the way.

Sheila

Hi Sergio,

I don't know if you've seen a AMA video of their cruises, but if you go to youtube.com and put in European River Cruises, it will bring it up. It's a very good video of several of their ships and the sights you will see along the way.

Sheila

Thanks, Sheila. Researching for a trip is at least half the fun, at least for me.

Sergio

• 1 month later...
Sheila:

Hi. We finally booked our first riverboat cruise. Any suggestions? By the way, every time I eat at Becco's I remember that evening that we met you.

Roberta

Roberta,

I opened a thread on the Roll Call forum for this cruise. Are you booked on this November 10 trip?

Sergio

Hi Roberta,

Yes, that was a great evening. Good food and a wonderful musical performance!! I am going to tell our Florida kids about the restaurant. They are going to NYC for their 10th wedding anniversary.

You will love River Cruising! We did our first one this past July with Tauck Tours -- we did the Rhine/Moselle Rivers and are taking AMA's new ship the AMAKatarina from St. Petersburg to Moscow. With a small amount of well-traveled people, you will know everyone aboard the ship in no time at all. Do to the limitations of the airlines, my husband did NOT take a jacket for dress. It was 95 degrees in Switzerland and Germany when we were there. I wore my Chico clothes for dinner. They travel so well. He just wore dockers and a long sleeved printed dress shirt. AMA's getting good press and good comments from past travelers.

Sheila

• 8 months later...

Has anyone ever taken the optional bike tour from Durnstein to Krems as scheduled on this trip (Nov 11, 2011)? I was wondering how difficult it was, whether a guide accompanies us, etc. Any comments will be appreciated.

There is also another optional bike tour of Passau, instead of a walking tour. Any thoughts on this one as well?

Thanks,

Sergio

Hi cruisingmad,

Our friends did a bike tour between ports with AMA in September and said it was great. I'll try to find out where they did it. In the meantime, why don't you start a new post and entitle it something like "Has anyone done the bike tour between ports on the Danube with AMA?"

Sheila

Hi cruisingmad,

Our friends did a bike tour between ports with AMA in September and said it was great. I'll try to find out where they did it. In the meantime, why don't you start a new post and entitle it something like "Has anyone done the bike tour between ports on the Danube with AMA?"

Sheila

Thanks, Sheila, I'll try that.

Sergio

Archived