Is it common to miss Tracy Arm/Sawyer Glacier?

Tapi

Hello!

We're sailing on the Sapphire Princess in september. We've read several times that Tracy Arm is a narrow passage and challenging to navigate. We've read that its very hard for the ships to make it to the face of Sawyer Glacier, but we are wondering if Tracy Arm is a place that is likely to be missed altogether, specially in September.

This is our first Alaska cruise! Can't wait!

Hello!

We're sailing on the Sapphire Princess in september. We've read several times that Tracy Arm is a narrow passage and challenging to navigate. We've read that its very hard for the ships to make it to the face of Sawyer Glacier, but we are wondering if Tracy Arm is a place that is likely to be missed altogether, specially in September.

This is our first Alaska cruise! Can't wait!

The larger ships frequently miss getting to Sawyer Glaciers but I don't think they miss cruising Tracy Arm often. On our first AK cruise we were on the Diamond (sister to the Sapphire) and were not able to get as far as the glaciers. There is a big bend and the big ships can't get around it if there is a lot of ice which is common in Tracy Arm. Just cruising TA is beautiful though even if you don't make it to the glaciers.

We are doing our 5th AK cruise in May.

It is "common" to not, make the full transit. Tracy Arm is a dead end, 30 mile fjord with the twin Sawyer Glaciers at the end. On average only about 25% of the ships make the full transit, with glacier viewing. You can solve this problem with the GROSSLY superior add on Tracy Arm shore excursion which in my opinion, I find "necessary".

A bigger concern is your Juneau port time, which it will be dark by 7pm second week of Sept, and limited tour offers.

Miss is a relative term, even on the so called smaller excursion you can still end up very far away. The picture attached is taken with a 450mm effective focal length zoom in July on the smaller boat excursion.

If beautiful glacier viewing is what you have Tracy Arm shouldn't be your choice.

Not to say the fjord sailing isn't beautiful, but the iconic pictures of cruise ships next to glaciers aren't the ones from Tracy Arm

109526940_318AscloseaswecantoSawyerGlacier.jpg.4fba7f203235a05e80dc68fbab380e8f.jpg

1537474926_316AscloseaswecantoSawyerGlacier.jpg.e40c3ddcaeb150574058e030ee13f70d.jpg

Miss is a relative term, even on the so called smaller excursion you can still end up very far away. The picture attached is taken with a 450mm effective focal length zoom in July on the smaller boat excursion.

If beautiful glacier viewing is what you have Tracy Arm shouldn't be your choice.

Not to say the fjord sailing isn't beautiful, but the iconic pictures of cruise ships next to glaciers aren't the ones from Tracy Arm

So in your opinion the excurision in the catamaran isn't worth the money? I'm booked on it for $169 because I'm assuming I will get a way better look than from the cruise ship...

So in your opinion the excurision in the catamaran isn't worth the money? I'm booked on it for $169 because I'm assuming I will get a way better look than from the cruise ship...

You should get a better experience from the catamaran. You will be much closer to the icebergs, wildlife and some waterfalls. You also, most likely, will get much closer to the glaciers. There are no guarentees though.

I'm with BQ, worth every penny. The time in the fjord are great, you get great views, far better than the ship on most days ( on our sailing that was for sure ). Most of the family on my cruise didn't choose to do it as you missed lunch on the long trip back to port.

They take you side to side and up close to the many waterfalls and cliffs. We were lucky and saw some wildlife up close. The minus it makes for a long day either line trip from port or back to port.

1770104364_335GoldenPrincess.jpg.38cca7c9fd023e55b1b234c78c6f947a.jpg

1340252063_305SealonTracyArmExcursion.jpg.da865d7fc3709e3e2fe8a907a6cfb77e.jpg

1893339651_375WaterfallinTracyArm.jpg.5e8dfe61dbb5b6b09d196bd9b2e56c16.jpg

837272055_380WaterfallinTracyArm.jpg.40fdf494dab9c10ac0eedcbec6a72db3.jpg

1515025487_385WaterfallinTracyArm.jpg.8ce874430d53ed52013a4a0049fcffc6.jpg

End of May last year on the Sapphire we took the add on excursion, not getting very close to the Sawyers, but in view, but on the way to Juneau saw a bear on the shore, eagles everywhere, & followed several humpbacks, & a pod of orcas. This would not have been possible from the ship. Any time I have a chance to get closer to wildlife I think it is worth the extra money.

I've sailed into Tracy Aram a half dozen times with different degrees of success. Only once did we get past the "Y" split at the Island, and in that case we actually went to the North Sawyer Glacier. On the others we turned around at the split and really only got a glimpse of the glaciers.

Like the others I recomemnd the small boat experience, I've not done it from the cruise ship (wasn't offered) but twice with Adventure Bound out of Juneau. This is a much different experince and I'll repeat it every time my schedule permits. Here are some photos from my last visit, we had a spectacular day up close and personal with the glacier.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1274880&highlight=tracy+arm+photos

We missed Tracy Arm/Sawyer Glacier when we sailed Rhapsody of the Seas in June 2009. Instead we sailed to Dawes Glacier at the end of the Endicott Arm instead. Have a good trip.

Anne:)

If people miss the announcement and have never been there before, it is possible that they may not even realize when Endicott Arm is substituted for Tracy Arm.

I learned that on a cruise where I overheard a conversation at the Dawes Glacier by an excited couple saying that their friend didn't know what he was talking about when he told them there was a good chance they would not be able to get to the end of Tracy Arm so early in the season. They kept saying they were glad they were taking lots of pictures of "Tracy Arm" and the "Sawyer Glacier" so they could show him how wrong he was.

I didn't have the heart to tell them the truth and just kept my mouth shut.

On average only about 25% of the ships make the full transit' date=' with glacier viewing. [/b'] You can solve this problem with the GROSSLY superior add on Tracy Arm shore excursion which in my opinion, I find "necessary".

What would be the probability of missing Tracy Arm entirely and having to go to Endicott Arm? We really want to do the excursion, but BQ once commented that the smaller boat doesn't make much difference in Endicott Arm. Since the excursion is expensive, I'm wondering how much of a gamble we'll be taking if we book it.

What would be the probability of missing Tracy Arm entirely and having to go to Endicott Arm? We really want to do the excursion, but BQ once commented that the smaller boat doesn't make much difference in Endicott Arm. Since the excursion is expensive, I'm wondering how much of a gamble we'll be taking if we book it.

In May I will speculate it's an even chance the cpt will opt for Endicott Arm, due to passengers wanting to see glaciers. I don't hear of Endicott Arm being used after about mid June.

I've been to Tracy Arm twice. The first time was in September and we cruised right up to the last Sawyer Glacier. We stayed for what seemed like an hour and a half watching huge chunks 'calve' away from the main body. It was a beautiful morning. The crew said it was the closest the ship had been all season. We were about 1/4 mile and it seemed very close.

The next cruise we took to Tracy Arm was in July. We could only get close enough to see the first glacier in the far distance but the cruise into Tracy Arm itself is dramatic. We realized then how special our first cruise up Tracy Arm was.

If you're going in Sept, you might get lucky enough to cruise up to Sawyer Glacier also.

In May I will speculate it's an even chance the cpt will opt for Endicott Arm, due to passengers wanting to see glaciers. I don't hear of Endicott Arm being used after about mid June.

We'll be cruising Tracy Arm on June 6. If it were you, BQ, would you gamble on the Tracy Arm small boat excursion, considering what you said earlier about small boats in Endicott Arm? HAL hasn't listed it yet, but I expect a high excursion price. I'm leary about booking it if the chances aren't good that we'll get to do Tracy Arm.

We'll be cruising Tracy Arm on June 6. If it were you, BQ, would you gamble on the Tracy Arm small boat excursion, considering what you said earlier about small boats in Endicott Arm? HAL hasn't listed it yet, but I expect a high excursion price. I'm leary about booking it if the chances aren't good that we'll get to do Tracy Arm.

Then I suggest you wait until you are on board, and ask the shore excursion desk, what transits they made the prior weeks. Also, ask the people coming off the ship. :)

I've only gone on the NCL add on excursion and it was over $200pp.

Then I suggest you wait until you are on board, and ask the shore excursion desk, what transits they made the prior weeks. Also, ask the people coming off the ship. :)

I've only gone on the NCL add on excursion and it was over $200pp.

Thanks, BQ. You seem to be giving me advice about every aspect of our cruise. I hadn't thought about asking about transits the previous week. That sounds like the best way to be fairly safe in betting we'll at least get into Tracy Arm. Now I just need to come up with back up plans for Juneau. I'm not good with spontaneous decisions, so I need to plan, plan, plan.

Have done Alaska cruise annually for last 8 years, 3 times to Tracy Arm (twice in May, and once in September). Only saw the glaciers in September, however, the fjord cruising itself is very beautiful and dramatic. If you're going in Sept, you should be fine for glacier viewing, as well as exceptional scenery.

I'm booked to do this tour with Carnival for $169 pp and am thinking about cancelling it since will be there May 12th. I'm afraid to spend almost $350 if Endicott Arm is not that great... I would rather use the money for a different excurision.

We are on the same excursion, same date, and I am having the same concerns. Have seen lots of pictures of both and Endicott seems not to hold a candle to Tracey Arms. But the small boat is just that- small- and I am concerned about not getting on it they do. And we are 3- that is pricey for a not so great excursion.

We are on the same excursion, same date, and I am having the same concerns. Have seen lots of pictures of both and Endicott seems not to hold a candle to Tracey Arms. But the small boat is just that- small- and I am concerned about not getting on it they do. And we are 3- that is pricey for a not so great excursion.

It is Tracy Arm, and you are both asking a question that can not be answered. PAST access in this mid May timeframe is not favorable, and rare for full access to the twin Sawyer Glaciers. 50/50 chance it will be diverted, per the CPT, to Endicott Arm. All that can be said.

Archived