Sapphire Princess and Tracy Arm

Tapi

Hello! We'll be taking our first cruise to Alaska aboard the Sapphire Princess in September. We've read that Tracy Arm is a narrow passage and challenging to navigate. We understand that ships the size of the Sapphire Princess have a very hard time making it all the way to Sawyer Glacier, but we want to know if Tracy Arm is a place that is often missed altogether, specially in September.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello! We'll be taking our first cruise to Alaska aboard the Sapphire Princess in September. We've read that Tracy Arm is a narrow passage and challenging to navigate. We understand that ships the size of the Sapphire Princess have a very hard time making it all the way to Sawyer Glacier, but we want to know if Tracy Arm is a place that is often missed altogether, specially in September.

I can't speak specifically to September, but we went on B2B cruises last May-June on the Sapphire to Alaska and Tracy Arm fiord. Tracy Arm is beautiful!! It was a tight squeeze, but wonderful. I especially loved the fact that we went in May, since the two weeks had very different views. The first week it was very ice-covered in the water still, saw lots of icebergs. The second week, we could see how much had melted in a week (we had very warm weather too) and we got much farther in. I did check out the webcam for a number of weeks after we got home and each week they got further and further in. Enjoy it! Very, very beautiful. And, to my knowledge, I do not know of them missing it in Sept, since there is obviously way less ice than when we went in May and we made it in both times. And, actually saw the glacier (or some of it) each time too.

We were on the Sea Princess in late September of 2010 and missed the Tracy Arm due to a huge storm. The other ports were OK. We hit a little rain and some snow in Skagway. If you are into shopping the last cruise of the season is the time to go. Everything was on sale.

Tracy Arm is really spectacular you will love it. Every time you think you are at the end there is another corner to navigate an amazing experience. We were fortunate to have beautiful weather, not a cloud in the sky and little wind. Wrap up warm and get yourself a good position at the front of the ship and you will have a real treat. There were about a dozen of us there at 6am when we entered and but most people waited till we were at the end before joining us.

We went in May on the Star, first ship in that season. There were quite alot of bergy bits floating around, particularly near the end, but we were able to make it all the way. It is my understanding form what the naturalist said that it can be more of a problem a little later into the season - June perhaps? when the rise in temperatures causes there to be too many bergy bits meaning the ships can't go as far. I Imagine that by September than problem would have passed as they will have dissipated by then.

Enjoy!

I four trips, we've made it all the way up twice, and once just within viewing distance and once not at all. There seemed to be less ice than the others on the day we gave up too soon. I think some captains are less confident in the ship's ability to handle the ice floes. Captain Calabrese was a veteran of Antarctic runs, I heard, and took us all the way up. Still, the captain has the ultimate responsibility and it is his decision. Safety trumps passenger desires.

I guess you just never know. We did the 14 day Alaska cruise on the small Royal Princess last May, and it seemed to us that we actually got closer to the glaciers when we were on the Diamond Princess a few years earlier.

I took a picture when we were glacier watching that shows a larger ship just behind a small island that couldn't go past that point for some reason...I'll see if I can attach it :-)

1742274056_BigShipCantMakeItIn.jpg.19c5ff2469385c0e706bcfc26ce54ea0.jpg

I've done this a half dozen times and the cruise ship has never gotten past the island "Y" split area. The Glacier is visible from this point but you are still a long ways away.

Highly recommended is the add on ship excursion or the all day Tracy Arm trip from Juneau with Adventure Bound if time permits. This is a spectacular trip. Here is a link to some photos I took on my last visit.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1274880&highlight=tracy+arm+photos

We've been twice, once on the Sapphire a few years (5?) back in July, and once on the Star two years ago in May. There was lots of ice in May, and we only got to the small island near the end. That Capt decided there was too much ice, and some was too large, so we turned back. You can just see the glacier from the island (Creates the Y channel that has been spoken of). We went almost all the way up to the glacier on the Sapphire. A little ice, and almost warm for that cruise. Lots of bears and eagles during both.

It's a really beautiful cruise.. you will enjoy it. For sure!

Here is a photo from our August cruise last year on the Sapphire. We enjoyed the cruise through Tracy Arm a lot. The glacier at the end was within clear viewing distance--although I sometimes wish we had spent the money for the up-close excursion.

We did not get a lot of time to view the glacier. The captain basically pointed the bow at the glacier and then turned the ship 180 degrees to start heading out. I felt sorry for the people with port side balconies. They did not get a good view.

When we were there on the Star Princess in 2003, the captain did a 540-degree turn so that everyone got a good view. Sawyer Glacier has receded a lot since we were then.

temp.jpg.a8ef163fef8256df87fbcf7fcde91aa2.jpg

Hi,

I've been on 8 Alaska cruises, and I have traveled to Tracy Arm on five of these cruises. (I have been to Tracy Arm on the Sun Princess, the Star Princess, and the Sapphire Princess.)

On these cruises, I have never been turned away from Tracy Arm:) The ships have traveled into Tracy Arm for various distances, but usually I have seen Sawyer Glacier. Even without Sawyer Glacier, however, Tracy Arm is a spectacular sight! A lifetime experience:) Don't miss it!

Take layers, a winter hat that you can pull down over your ears, and gloves, so that you can be out on deck or on a balcony, to see it. The Sapphire usually enters Tracy Arm about 6am, and it is definitely worth being up for it. Again, don't miss it!

I can't resist posting two pictures, below, of the Golden Princess in Tracy Arm, as photographed from E731, Sapphire Princess. Some of you will know that I have posted these pictures before, elsewhere, but I just can't resist! I love these pictures:) Please see below, enjoy, and please humor me by viewing these pictures: Thanks!

golden_princess_in_tracy_arm_4_.jpg

golden_tracy_arm_2.jpg

Thanks for ALL the responses and the pictures. They make our wait even longer!

One thing that I've learned reading these boards and researching about Alaska is that we will HAVE to plan another Alaskan cruise (and we haven't even taken the first one! ) There are so many wonderful things that I've read about places, excursions cruise tours, etc and we can't possibly squeeze all of them into one week!

Again, thanks to all!

Since we're going on with this a bit (all the pictures are great!) - I have to comment on how neat it was on the 14 day cruise to go to both Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay. Two totally different experiences and looks, like two different worlds and hard to tell which was the more beautiful! Tracy Arm was green and Glacier Bay was almost totally white. That last cruise convinced me to ask Santa for a new digital camera with more zoom - our old one had a 4x zoom and there were some things I wished I could get a better look at (eagles floating by on chunks of ice etc). Santa was good to me - now we have to go back to Alaska!!!

We did not make it to the glacier on my RCL cruise. The decision on how far is based on how much ice in the water. Too much ice and any ship will turn back (don't want damage to propellers or rudder ).

It is magnificent even if you don't make it all the way.

Hi' date='

I've been on 8 Alaska cruises, and I have traveled to Tracy Arm on five of these cruises. (I have been to Tracy Arm on the Sun Princess, the Star Princess, and the Sapphire Princess.)

On these cruises, I have never been turned away from Tracy Arm:) The ships have traveled into Tracy Arm for various distances, but usually I have seen Sawyer Glacier. Even without Sawyer Glacier, however, Tracy Arm is a spectacular sight! A lifetime experience:) Don't miss it!

Take layers, a winter hat that you can pull down over your ears, and gloves, so that you can be out on deck or on a balcony, to see it. The Sapphire usually enters Tracy Arm about 6am, and it is definitely worth being up for it. Again, don't miss it!

I can't resist posting two pictures, below, of the Golden Princess in Tracy Arm, as photographed from E731, Sapphire Princess. Some of you will know that I have posted these pictures before, elsewhere, but I just can't resist! I love these pictures:) Please see below, enjoy, and please humor me by viewing these pictures: Thanks!

[img']http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/data/522/golden_princess_in_tracy_arm_4_.jpg[/img]

golden_tracy_arm_2.jpg

Great Pictures. When were they taken? We were on the Golden last August and I remember passing the Sapphire in Tracy Arm. Thanks.

OP: Last August we got very close to Sawyer Glacier at Tracy Arm. We even saw a calving of which I was lucky enough to get a video of. As previous posters have said, it depends on how much ice is in the water, but in September you should be able to get fairly close. Enjoy your cruise.:)

Great Pictures. When were they taken? We were on the Golden last August and I remember passing the Sapphire in Tracy Arm. Thanks.

OP: Last August we got very close to Sawyer Glacier at Tracy Arm. We even saw a calving of which I was lucky enough to get a video of. As previous posters have said, it depends on how much ice is in the water, but in September you should be able to get fairly close. Enjoy your cruise.:)

Thanks so much for asking. Mine were taken last August 18th.

Thanks, all, for the nice comments about the pictures, and the nice comments generally, also. I liked everyone else's pictures and comments.

Tapi (OP) - You will definitely have to go again:) As I've said, I've been on 8 Alaska cruises, and I still haven't seen and done it all:) Enjoy! And please don't forget your layers:)

From mid June 2010, we got very close. Absolutely breathtaking in the surrealness of the misty rain. Even if can't get to the glacier it is still an incredible experience. Plus, the next stop is Juneau where you can walk right up to Mendenall Glaicer and spectaular Nugget Falls.

Picture084.jpg

Archived