Walk off disembarkation at Barcelona, anyone has experiences to share?

nho9504

Hi all,

When we sailed Princess we always used Walk-off disembarkation. Last time in Barcelona Emerald docked at 6AM and we were out at the pier at 6:30AM with plenty of taxi there.

We will be on Neuw Amsterdam which is scheduled to arrive Barcelona at 7:00AM. Can any of you been on a HAL ship with disembarkation at Barcelona before provide some inputs that normally when one can be out at the pier?

We have been in Barcelona too many times and we will do something different this go round - that we will do our usual post cruise land trip in Spain, Italy and France - eventually fly home from Paris about 3+ weeks later.

I saw there is a 12:xx Vueling flight to Granada from Barcelona - since it is domestic flight, the security should not be as strict as international flights back to US. We have only 20" and 21" rolleraboards with us and of course the tote and camerabag, but that would be IT. So I feel we can make this flight instead of the one 2 hours later, as long as we can be out not later by 8:30AM. Taxi ride usually is only 30 minutes. Apr 18 is a Monday so probably is a bit longer.

Thoughts and opinions are very welcome and truly appreciated.

I was in the last group to disembark in Barcelona back in October. One thing I'd warn you about is the line for the taxi is LONG. We waited over an hour to get a taxi as everyone has the same idea. So, the advice i'd offer you is to arrange transportation from the port ahead of time and skip the taxi line.

Maybe it's not as long early in the early AM but somehow, I doubt it.

We will take walk off disembarkation so we should be in the FIRST group to get off. Last time we had done so, there was absolutely no line at the taxi stand.

My understanding is HAL offers Walk Off disembarkation, No? In April last year we disembarked at Civit from Eurodam also took the walk-off option. We actually walked to the train station with our rolleraboards - easy walk along the seaside, done it multiple times.

Without the need to look for the luggage, I would think we have the advantage to be ahead of most passengers by at least an hour.

We too left the ship in Barcelona in October. We were not in any rush and did not do self disembarkation. There was a wait of about 10 minutes for a cab when we got off. We have only used self disembarkation once and it was a disaster, primarily because of the passengers. Many attempting it with luggage did simply not have the physical ability to do so and as HAL advises there are no porters there to help. Think of a person in a wheelchair with luggage attempting to do this on their own and you get the picture.

Gary

I agree with you about those who should NOT be doing the self-disembarkation. Even the able bodies if they have 2 26" suitcases, they should NOT try the self-disembarkation as their suitcases alone would take up 1/2 of the elevator space!

We have only 2 rollers, a tote and a camera bag - that would be it.

What time was your disembarkation when you said it was only 10 min wait for the taxi?

I am hoping we can take the 12xx pm Vueling flight which would let us into Granada in early afternoon versus the flight 2 hours later.

I can't remember exactly as we were in no hurry as we were spending 3 more days in Barcelona. Probably around 9-9:30.

We just had carryons for this trip like you folks, but I did not want to fight the crowd.

Gary

On Holland America it's called something like "Express Disembarkation" where you are first off if you carry your own bags. Unless the ship is late into port for some reason, you should have plenty of time to get a cab and get to the airport for a 12 noon departure.

One thing we learned about European low-cost airlines -- baggage weight limits per bag at significantly less than the US and even carry on luggage has weight restrictions, so you may want to check that out with the carrier.

On Holland America it's called something like "Express Disembarkation" where you are first off if you carry your own bags. Unless the ship is late into port for some reason, you should have plenty of time to get a cab and get to the airport for a 12 noon departure.

One thing we learned about European low-cost airlines -- baggage weight limits per bag at significantly less than the US and even carry on luggage has weight restrictions, so you may want to check that out with the carrier.

I know the restrictions. Our bags usually are below the allowed weight. One time we flew ClickAir (now part of Veuling) from BCN to VCE to our Emerald Princess Westbound home, I thought I needed to buy one checked bag and paid online was a lot cheaper so I bought one. It turned out both our bags were below the allowance. So I paid an extra 10 Euro for an unnecessary checked bag.

Vueling allows 10kg for carryon, and 23kg for checked bag between 9 to 16 euro depending on destination.

I think our bags last time weighed between 16 to 18 lbs respectively, that were way below the 10kg allowed for free.

You`ve done your research on the airlines...so let`s get back to the question.

definitely HAL allows a `walk off`if you can manage your own luggage (and you can).

I don`t see you having any issues at all. Just register for it at disembarkation and you will done.

as to taxis at Barcelona...at 6:30 a.m. I don`t really see you having a long wait - especially with the disembarkation you have chosen. there aren`t a lot on HAl that do that.

Maybe you should start a separate thread on how to pack...we could all use the tips,.

back to your question, we have docked several times in Barcelona and not too many people get off on their own - I think you should be fine.

You`ve done your research on the airlines...so let`s get back to the question.

definitely HAL allows a `walk off`if you can manage your own luggage (and you can).

I don`t see you having any issues at all. Just register for it at disembarkation and you will done.

as to taxis at Barcelona...at 6:30 a.m. I don`t really see you having a long wait - especially with the disembarkation you have chosen. there aren`t a lot on HAl that do that.

Maybe you should start a separate thread on how to pack...we could all use the tips,.

back to your question, we have docked several times in Barcelona and not too many people get off on their own - I think you should be fine.

Not 6:30am - Neuw Amsterdam arrives at 7 am so I think we would be at the pier the latest at 8:30am.

For packing, color co-ordination, mix and match, anything has to be able to pair with 3 other pieces. Pick the clothes made of Silk, lightweight wool, and cotton with a touch of spandex. Use ROLL method instead of fold method to eliminate 95% of the wrinkle appearance...

Believe it or not, SILK is a wonderful material for travel clothing - it is good for both cold and warm climates, extremely light weight, hardly wrinkle if you know how to pack, comfortable yet elegant.

We often do 4 to 6 weeks trip that involves many flights, some ferries and some trains - so travel light is a MUST for us. DH even wants to ditch his 20" and goes for a 19". I told him it is not practical because 20" is the minimum length to use in order to properly pack trousers. We got the packing down to the point that we often dont pack until the night before the travel. I am truly amazed by many starting their packing weeks ahead of their trip... If we do that we will be constantly packing!

I believe we got off the ship around 930am maybe 10am, and the taxi line was over 1 hour, so i'd beware. And our ship had gotten into port the day before, so it wasn't like we weren't already there...lol

To be honest, if the taxi line is over an hour wait (by assessing the length of the line), I think I would just tow the carryon and walk the bridge over to town - it takes no more than 20 minute walk and hail a taxi once near Plaza Colon.

On our last port day there in April, there were so many folks queuing for the shuttle to Plaza Colon, we walked to the next terminal where an Intra-Europe cruiseship just docked. Lots of Europeans disembarked and many of them simply started walking. We took the shuttle from that terminal and found we were not much faster than those who walked because the shuttle did not immediately leave the port area.

I can't remember exactly as we were in no hurry as we were spending 3 more days in Barcelona. Probably around 9-9:30.

We just had carryons for this trip like you folks, but I did not want to fight the crowd.

Gary

We will be getting off in Barcelona from the Ryndam in Sept, and spending a few extra days too and also wonder if we can catch the metro that leaves from the dock area with our rollaboards, to go to our hotel at the upper end of the Ramblas at Catalayna Square?

Hear the dock area is where most of the pickpocketers are - so are tourists with luggage struggling to get on the metro too easy of pickings in this area?

We will be getting off in Barcelona from the Ryndam in Sept, and spending a few extra days too and also wonder if we can catch the metro that leaves from the dock area with our rollaboards, to go to our hotel at the upper end of the Ramblas at Catalayna Square?

Hear the dock area is where most of the pickpocketers are - so are tourists with luggage struggling to get on the metro too easy of pickings in this area?

Sounds like this would be your first time to Barcelona.

There is no metro at the port area. The nearest metro station is near Plaza Colom which requires to take the shuttle / short taxi ride or walk. The distance is not long but involving going up a bridge if the ship docks at the far end of the terminal complex. I dont think it makes sense to walk 20 minutes to get to the metro when cab is very inexpensive.

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/transport/barcelona-cruise-port.html

A taxi is the most convenient way and is not expensive. I say it would be no more than 20 Euro to get to Plaza Catalunya. Once you settle in, go to the metro station to buy a T10 which is a ticket good for 10 rides, and can be used by more than 1 person. It is good on Bus and short distance train as well. The ticket has memory strip that can correctly subtract rides and "forgive" mistakes. We one time entered a wrong station - the train and the metro was side by side, the ticket did not subtract the 2nd time when we got out of the train station and entered the metro station right next to it within 5 minutes.

I would suggest you download a Barcelona map to take a good look.

This site has helpful information.

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/maps/barcelona-metro-map.html

Been at Barcelona 6 times in past 2 years. No, the dock area is NOT infested with pickpocketers. In fact there are not very many pedestrians along the street.

I would say Rome and Athens, especially Athens, are far worse than Barcelona regarding the pickpockets. DH caught the thieves 3 times in Rome, including one time on the bus waiting at the depot and not crowded at all, a group of 3 young girls "worked" together with one asked him to give up his seat because she was "pregnant" while her hand extended to DH's out jacket's pocket.. All the attempts in Athens were made on the metro going down to Port. 0 incident in Barcelona, i.e. we were not targeted, even on a very crowded La Rambla at night.

As with any big city in the world, including those in US, stay alert and mind the surroundings are the key.

We watched the entire disembarkation process in Barcelona as we were one of the last off the ship. From our balcony we could see everything, and as others have said, if you are among the first groups off the ship you'll have no problem getting a cab. The problem was later, when we got off. We waited in an enormous cab line for about an hour, having been lulled into complacency by the speedy exits we watched earlier in the morning.

Should be pretty quick, and taxi from the cruise pier to El Prat airport takes about 20 minutes. As long a you are entering the airport 45 minutes prior to departure with bags you'll be fine.

Regarding the question about walking to the metro, I wouldn't recommend it with bags, as has been said you have to go across a bridge along a narrow footpath and it will take about 20 - 30 minutes walking slowly. Although for anyone who is healthy and is in Barcelona during a cruise, you can walk from the pier to the Ramblers in about 25 - 30 minutes (without bags).

Pickpockets are mostly around the Ramblers, and particularly at night. Barcelona is a real hotspot, and I'd be very careful with wallets, phones and watches.

The metro is very cheap, taxi's are fairly reasonably priced, but they have been known to overcharge cruise ship passengers.

Archived