Is Carnival really patting down passengers at embarkation?

marne001

When people mentioned seeing others being patted down, they did not mention whether or not those people had gone through the metal detector.

Typically passengers who go through the metal detector will be patted down only if they set it off. But there are also the passengers who always get patted down upon boarding the ship because they are not allowed to go through metal detectors at all.

I've never been patted down at a cruise terminal, that I can think of but at the courthouse where I live yes, and as well at the airport in Cincinnati. I'd rather know they are trying to keep us safe. If I were patted down at a cruise terminal, I wouldn't mind. I'm on the fence though if they really are looking for rum runners. I know it's prohibited and all, but really? Do you know how much time it would take to really start looking for those?

When people mentioned seeing others being patted down, they did not mention whether or not those people had gone through the metal detector.

Typically passengers who go through the metal detector will be patted down only if they set it off. But there are also the passengers who always get patted down upon boarding the ship because they are not allowed to go through metal detectors at all.

No they did go threw the metal detectors. I even had one lady behind me in line to get our S&S cards and she was making fun of her hubby saying I guess you just look guilty of something for them to pat you and check you so well. They were checking men and women.

On our two previous cruises, we were asked to turn our pockets inside out. No one patted us down and we we turned our pockets inside out ourselves and we were waved through. There was no hands on, but we did have to turn our pockets inside out. This was in Long Beach as well as Port Canaveral.

Looks like they are onto rum runners in our pockets. Back to drilling and tapping the suitcase frames. :D

I've never been patted down boarding or reboarding a cruiseship. I have metal in my body and almost always 'bing' the metal detector at airports. Almost never on ships.

At airports, I am always wanded and thoroughly searched at times. I tell them where to find the metal and it buzzes the wand, but I still get a jaundiced look from security.

There is a new name for the airport pat downs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

FREEDOM FONDLES!:D

We were on the Dec. 12th sailing of the Conquest and had no problems boarding the ship in Galveston. But in Montego Bay, when we were returning from our beach day at Doctor's Cave, DW, Son, DIL and I all went through security at the pier terminal. There were 2 lines to go through the metal detector and to have your bags go through the x-ray scanner machines. All of us made it through fine except our 30 year old son. He didn’t set off the metal detector but the female Jamaican security agent pulled him aside and gave him a very personal pat-down (rub-down) and after the shock – he said it was enjoyable. :D

The DW and I were in the other line and we didn’t see the security pat-down – but our DIL saw it and she said it was entertaining!! I absolutely want to be very clear that this was not part of the Carnival’s Conquest shipboard security – this was in the Montego Bay pier terminal and done by the terminal security personnel.

Everyone at the table enjoyed his telling of the story at dinner that evening! :)

It stands to reason that whatever is being done to airline passengers at security should also be done to cruise passengers.

When you think about it, a cruise ship is a much bigger target than an airliner.

As long as this is not being done just to enhance bar revenue, I am in favor of it!

I agree if it were about SAFETY but it's not. You can get your bag checked and not make the cruise because of documentation (I'm not EVEN trying to get into that debate) which I would think would be a GREATER security risk. So if this were just about safety, then they should adhere to ALL airport safety rules - which means we couldn't cut our steaks, open our own wine, etc.

Archived