Is Carnival really patting down passengers at embarkation?

marne001

Airlines provide transportation and so have to endure TSA.

One of the first things they might hand you on a cruise ship is a steak knife. :eek:

But they took my two wine openers from Intercontinental, because of the tiny little blade for the foil.

Gave me a hard time about my $1 scissors from the dollar store. A airplane where you cant get to checked luggage or silverware, this makes sense. It makes no sense on a ship. makes them look foolish to me.

And I want someone to tell me before they touch me. It wasnt in Jamaica. It was Cozumel I believe. Or ask me whats in my pockets, which they have done before.

I was on the Conquest on 12/12/10 and I saw a man getting patted down.

It was one particular xray man who was making people take off their shoes, belt, patted down, and wanded passengers.

I went through a different line and had no problems at all.

If so, then there is no reason that they could not place a note in their Funtimes stating the possibility of a pat down when reboarding the ship.....they would only be covering their *** and pax would know in advance what may or may not occur !

And the first time they made a mistake some sue happy lawyer and passenger would be waiting in the wings. Why should they open themselves up to something like that?

But they took my two wine openers from Intercontinental, because of the tiny little blade for the foil.

Gave me a hard time about my $1 scissors from the dollar store. A airplane where you cant get to checked luggage or silverware, this makes sense. It makes no sense on a ship. makes them look foolish to me.

And I want someone to tell me before they touch me. It wasnt in Jamaica. It was Cozumel I believe. Or ask me whats in my pockets, which they have done before.

Who is they? TSA, Carnival, or some Cozumel authority?

And the first time they made a mistake some sue happy lawyer and passenger would be waiting in the wings. Why should they open themselves up to something like that?

If the pat downs or extra screenings are occuring by the authorities of the port of call being visited, they have no worries of liability and sue happy folks....But, they have a responsibility to advise pax that this could occur... I believe they are opening themselves up just as much as you seem to believe by not disclosing the possibility when it concerns passengers reboarding their ships. Sounds like you are nothing but a cheerleader and defending them !

I say just like at sporting events or theme parks, all places that you expect to relax feel safe and not have to constantly look over your shoulder for someone with intent to hurt, the company in charge should be expected to provide that security. i.e. x-rays and pat downs. Not a problem for me. I have no issue with a pat down, it gives me some relief that the security detail is taking their jobs seriously.

I say just like at sporting events or theme parks, all places that you expect to relax feel safe and not have to constantly look over your shoulder for someone with intent to hurt, the company in charge should be expected to provide that security. i.e. x-rays and pat downs. Not a problem for me. I have no issue with a pat down, it gives me some relief that the security detail is taking their jobs seriously.

Well stated, I completely agree!

Yes, I too have seen the pat downs. Call me cynical, but I don't think it's because of security. It's to prevent people from bringing on alcohol.

I saw someone who was allowed to bring KNIVES onboard at embarkation (LA - San Pedro) but alcohol is confiscated. It's all about the $$.

If the pat downs or extra screenings are occuring by the authorities of the port of call being visited, they have no worries of liability and sue happy folks....But, they have a responsibility to advise pax that this could occur... I believe they are opening themselves up just as much as you seem to believe by not disclosing the possibility when it concerns passengers reboarding their ships. Sounds like you are nothing but a cheerleader and defending them !

Nah. I just don't care and have nothing to hide.

:cool:I have been on the Conquest twice in the past 2 years and I have never been patted down!!:rolleyes: I have been thru airport security and never been patted down!!!:rolleyes: Even while coming back from excursions never patted down!! But once I went to a KC Chiefs game I was patted down!!:eek:

I was on the Conquest on 12/12/10 and I saw a man getting patted down.

It was one particular xray man who was making people take off their shoes, belt, patted down, and wanded passengers.

I went through a different line and had no problems at all.

So it is true......

Sounds like Jamaica and they were looking for drugs.

I'd give her $20 for a happy ending. :D

We were recently on the conquest and had absolutly no problem with the employees of Conquest, but in Jamaica my husband was patted down by the customs officers in their little "compound". They found his chapstick and wanted him to open it and prove it really WAS chapstick. After the day we had lived through, with police officers forming road blocks wtih machine guns.....this fittful end did NOT suprise me at all. Carnival Conquest was wonderful...Jamaica UGGGGGGG!:mad:

On our two previous cruises, we were asked to turn our pockets inside out. No one patted us down and we we turned our pockets inside out ourselves and we were waved through. There was no hands on, but we did have to turn our pockets inside out. This was in Long Beach as well as Port Canaveral.

Archived