when does NY/manhattan terminal "open"?

Sandyshore

I don't mean what time should we arrive....I mean literally, what time are the porters there & doors open? We board Jewel today in the snow and expect a real mess between the departing and arriving pax and the mess on the roads. I wouldn't mind waiting there for hrs if it would help to go as early as 8am. Anyone know? (i'm in a hotel 2 blocks from the pier.) Thanks.

I can answer my own question now. Porters are here at 8am. We arrived at 9. Too early to begin check-in but happy to be at pier. It wasn't easy getting a cab but the streets are driveable. Can't believe the sun is out! I thought I would get pics of a snow covered pool deck, but maybe not!

This off topic, but we are sailing on the Jewel this summer and are coming from Chicago. What hotel did you stay at and would you recommend it?

We have a hotel reservation, but it is near Wall Street and is not as close to the port as you were.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
This off topic, but we are sailing on the Jewel this summer and are coming from Chicago. What hotel did you stay at and would you recommend it?

We have a hotel reservation, but it is near Wall Street and is not as close to the port as you were.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi -- just back today. We stayed at The Skyline Hotel at the suggestion of others on our roll call. Had never heard of it before, and we were very happy with it. The rate was incredible for NYC (about $130 with tax!), the place was nice and clean, and it's at 10th Avenue and 49th -- just a couple blocks from the Manhattan pier. The rate was discounted for booking online.

You'll be much better off there than way downtown on Wall St. Enjoy your cruise - Jewel is beautiful! :)

NYC is always a fun port. Last spring we cruised out of the Hudson terminal on the Prinsendam and there were only about 70 passengers boarding the ship at the port. We arrived at about 12:05 pm, only to find another couple sitting on their luggage outside the terminal. They explained that the Longshoreman had lunch from 12 - 1 and would not move any luggage during that hour. They also would not allow passengers to carry their own luggage into the terminal (the Longshoreman said they would walk out) so anyone arriving during the lunch hour had to just wait outside (it was a nice day) until exactly 1pm when the workers came back to work. Only in New York :)

Hank

Archived