EAST COAST vs "That other Coast"

BEAV

Two posters from the East Coast complained on another thread how they're upset that Celebrity (and others) are shifting ships away from Florida and the Atlantic Coast in general. I wanted to reply on that thread, but it was actually off-topic to the OP's message (The open letter to Jack Williams thread).

So, perhaps this subject merits it own thread, huh?

I don't understand why seemingly so many from the East Coast complain when ships are positioned to other parts of the country or the World. Do ya'll hold some sort of decree that says ships MUST be based along the Atlantic coast? Don't worry, East Coasters, you'll always have far more ships home ported in your neck than the West Coast ever will. Let's not get too greedy here, but realize instead there IS civilazation, not to mention population, west of the Mississippi! Here on the West Coast, we're thrilled that cruise lines are finally basing some (not all!) of their ships in our area.

A few years ago, a woman on the HAL board, who lives in New England, asked about all these "coastal" cruises she had been hearing about. When it was explained that they were Pacific Coastal cruises, she replied "oh..that's too bad..they sounded so nice." Upon further questioning, she said she would NEVER consider flying to the West Coast to board a cruise ship, as if California were in Siberia!

It's nothing for us Left Coasters to fly to Florida to board cruises. So tell me why, in general, do so many (not all) of you East Coasters never even consider making the pilgrimage out West to board cruise ships?

Nothing like a good little dose of healthy Bi-Coastal rivalry here, huh?

Personnally, I've no desire to ever cruise in the Caribbean again (well, maybe to pass thru on my way to somewhere interesting). It's crowded, it's filled with pushy, noisy, obnoxious people (both on the ship and on the islands) and offers very little that I'm interested in.

That said, it would be fine with me if Celebrity sailed all of its ships in the Caribbean 12 months of the year - there are certainly enough other cruise lines going to enough interesting places that I'll never be at a loss of somewhere to spend my vacation dollars...

I can’t agree more with the op. the West Coast gets neglected all the time. So when we finally get a bone tossed our way we get to hear all these Floridians and Easterners whine and cry about how their ship has left. With regards to the Summit being on the West Coast, it’s great to have her here. I have personally booked a cruise to Hawaii, and for once I don't have to fly to get to a nice destination. But hay lets kick the Westerners again and move the ship to the Asian Pacific. So once again we are left with nothing. I like the new itineraries and I am used to traveling to get to nice destinations so the Summit moving won’t bother me too much. I just don't want to hear the Easterners whine because they now know how the rest of the U.S. feels.

P.S. Bring on the heat I can take it.

I'm from the east coast and I'm glad they are doing cruises from the West coast. First, I'm tired of the Carribean especially as I don't like to lay out in the sun,secondly as I'm from NJ I spend almost the same amount of money on airfare as I do going to Florida and last but not least I get to cruise down the Pacific while seeing family at the different ports. Imagine being able to combine a cruise with visiting family.

I am from Phila. and have only taken one cruise from the east coast and that was to Bermuda from Philly the other three have been from the west coast,Seattle , San Fran and LA next Oct. we are leaving out of Galveston. We prefer to leave from places that we would not have traveled to had it not been for the cruise. I am sure that a lot of west coasters feel the same way. :D

A few years ago, a woman on the HAL board, who lives in New England, asked about all these "coastal" cruises she had been hearing about. When it was explained that they were Pacific Coastal cruises, she replied "oh..that's too bad..they sounded so nice." Upon further questioning, she said she would NEVER consider flying to the West Coast to board a cruise ship, as if California were in Siberia!

I am also a person from NE ,but was very glad to find California Coastal cruise:) . We never had an opportunity to visit so many cities in CAL during the same week... and we are happily flying to SFO in April to do so.:D

I certainly don't need East Coast cruise.;)

We've cruised East Coast and West Coast...being from Calif. any time to cruise from the West Coast is an stress-free experience for us. We always have to fly to Florida at least a day before, and flying home was a full day venture also. Not that I was complaining!! But since Celebrity has broadened their cruising destinations, we have loved it! Leaving in May out of San Francisco-Mexico Riveriera will be vacation heaven...Next Jan. out of Los Angeles-Hawaii will also be wonderful. All of you on the East Coast...join us for fun!!

Karyn

Archived