Shore Excursion Advice

familycruiser2011

Hi everyone -

This is my first post to the board. I have been lurking for a while and soaking up all of the great advice! My DH and I are experienced cruisers but this is our first family cruise and our first cruise to the Southern Carribean. We are travelling on the NCL Dawn for the 9 night Southern Caribbean.

We are taking our DS 5 and DS & DD 3 so we are looking for the best family friendly experience off shore.

We are travelling to the following ports:

Samana

Tortola

Antigua

Barbados

St. Kitts

Any advice is MUCH appreciated!

Jenn

The first thing you should do is get a guidebook on your ports. Libraries have them or buy one at a bookstore. That way, you'll know everything that each place offers. Then, decide what interests you....the book will allow you to know if it's something you can do on your own, or if an excursion is needed. Then, check out the Port of Call boards and see which excursions are recommended...either ship's excursions or thru a private company.

A little research will truly enhance your time ashore!

• 2 weeks later...

I visited St Kitts with my son a couple of years ago when he was 3 1/2. We took the excursion train that circles the island, which he just loved. There were many breathtaking views as well as some simpler sights like pigs and goats. It was really a nice experience for both of us. It is a double decker train. You can sit either below or up above. The lower story is completely enclosed. The top just has a railing and a canopy. They serve complementary drinks on both levels. They also had a local singing group come aboard to serenade us. Basically, it was a really great way of seeing the island with a small child.

When people ask my son about the trip, he always talks about two things--the chocolates that the steward left in our room and the train on the island.

Be warned however it is not cheap for what it is. It was $99 for me and about half that for my son. Also, the bus ride to get to the train took a while and the narration was not exactly scintillating. It may be a problem keeping two small kids amused on that portion of the trip. The ride was shorter on the way back and less of a problem.

Ginger (Sean's Mom)

We did the NCL Dawn last January when DD was 13 months. We had a great experience. I highly recommend checking out the port of call boards and using your judgment. Only you know your kids, and what they are capable of. I would be doing different things now (at 25 months) than I did then (at 13 months) just because her tolerance and interest have changed. I have previously posted our experience, but feel free to ask if you have any specific questions.

Archived