Everything Silhouette thread.

derf5585

It's all about the money. Obviously there is no money to be made in presenting a glassblowing show.:mad:

After sailing Solstice, Equinox and Eclipse, it will be nice to have some new venues on the last two S-class ships. IMHO, you can only watch someone blow hot glass so many times before it becomes a banal experience. Just because it is "free" doesn't make it more appealing. For those who wish to see the HG show, there are three ships to choose from, and for those who wish a different experience, there will be two ships to choose from. X is providing something for everyone. :)

After sailing Solstice, Equinox and Eclipse, it will be nice to have some new venues on the last two S-class ships. IMHO, you can only watch someone blow hot glass so many times before it becomes a banal experience. Just because it is "free" doesn't make it more appealing. For those who wish to see the HG show, there are three ships to choose from, and for those who wish a different experience, there will be two ships to choose from. X is providing something for everyone. :)

We've been to Corning twice and seen the show and glass museum. The point is that free activities are being replaced with ones that you pay for. Eventually the only thing that will be included in your fare will be your cabin.

We attended the glass blowing show aboard the Eclipse and certainly enjoyed it; however, we would not have needed to see it again should X have decided to keep it going on the Silhouette. Don't forget - the glass blowing show is being replaced not only by the new alternative dining venue (albeit extra $), but also a new "lunch" spot (with no fee). I think after three ships with identical layout/venues, they need to add a little variety.

From a business stand point, I can only imagine how expensive it must be to keep the glass blowing show/museum/equipment maintained. Not to mention the guest artists aboard each ship - I am sure the were being paid as well. Who knows, maybe Corning no longer wanted to lend their name to the attraction.

We've been to Corning twice and seen the show and glass museum. The point is that free activities are being replaced with ones that you pay for. Eventually the only thing that will be included in your fare will be your cabin.

Perhaps the activities being added that generate revenue are helping to keep down the fare of your cabin?

And besides, people have a choice to not use (and therefore not pay) for the new activities.

We attended the glass blowing show aboard the Eclipse and certainly enjoyed it; however, we would not have needed to see it again should X have decided to keep it going on the Silhouette. Don't forget - the glass blowing show is being replaced not only by the new alternative dining venue (albeit extra $), but also a new "lunch" spot (with no fee). I think after three ships with identical layout/venues, they need to add a little variety.

From a business stand point, I can only imagine how expensive it must be to keep the glass blowing show/museum/equipment maintained. Not to mention the guest artists aboard each ship - I am sure the were being paid as well. Who knows, maybe Corning no longer wanted to lend their name to the attraction.

It wasn't entirely Celebrity's choice to replace the HG show on the new ships. The staff (artists) from Corning have to be away from their real jobs for long periods of time which they said was difficult, and not necessarily a good thing for them from a business stand point.

I agree - I wouldn't be surprised if we are soon expected to pay to attend the evening shows.

Perhaps the activities being added that generate revenue are helping to keep down the fare of your cabin?

And besides, people have a choice to not use (and therefore not pay) for the new activities.

You raise an excellent point and one that I think about quite often. People want a champagne cruise at beer prices. I have no problem with paying more for the cruise up front rather than being nickled and dimed to death on board. Yes, things such as internet access which may have a limited appeal should be extra charge items, but restaurants and "quiet areas" should not. When we first started cruising in the mid 70s, the only extra charge items were alcohol. Now you can add things such as "gourmet" cakes, Ben and Jerry's ice cream and designer coffees to the list of extras.

When we first started cruising - there were not nearly as many options as today. You had the main dining room and the buffet, that was it. I appreciate at least having the option of a more personalized dining experience or specially brewed coffees - even if I have to pay. I enjoy cruising and know what I signed up for prior to boarding. I've personally never felt nickled and dimed because all the "freebies" available in the "good ole days" still exist today.

I mean, has anyone checked out the awesome ice cream options & toppings in the buffet on X??? No charge for that!

You raise an excellent point and one that I think about quite often. People want a champagne cruise at beer prices. I have no problem with paying more for the cruise up front rather than being nickled and dimed to death on board. Yes, things such as internet access which may have a limited appeal should be extra charge items, but restaurants and "quiet areas" should not. When we first started cruising in the mid 70s, the only extra charge items were alcohol. Now you can add things such as "gourmet" cakes, Ben and Jerry's ice cream and designer coffees to the list of extras.

Our experiences appear to be different, as I have never felt "nickled and dimed" to death on any X cruise. And as far as paying more up front for the cost of a cruise, not everyone has the finances to do so. I would think they would appreciate having a choice of which extra charge items they would like to splurge on.

I too like the current system of keeping the base fare reasonable, having the cruise fare cover the basics, and then having the options to spend on whatever enhancements you feel to be important/worth it to personalize your cruise experience. I just personally do not view it as being nickel-and-dimed.

For me, the most attractive pay-venue is specialty restaurants; on land I love trying out different restaurants (even ran an ethnic dinner club for a while) so for me a huge draw of Celebrity is the vast number of different specialty restaurants to enjoy. I certainly understand that for many the included food is good enough and think it is great that those of us who want an enhanced dining experience can pay up for this, but those that enjoy all meals in free venues do not have to pay more in their cruise fare for the specialty restaurants to be no charge. Also, by charging for certain venues, you keep them from being over crowded.

I too like the current system of keeping the base fare reasonable, having the cruise fare cover the basics, and then having the options to spend on whatever enhancements you feel to be important/worth it to personalize your cruise experience. I just personally do not view it as being nickel-and-dimed.

For me, the most attractive pay-venue is specialty restaurants; on land I love trying out different restaurants (even ran an ethnic dinner club for a while) so for me a huge draw of Celebrity is the vast number of different specialty restaurants to enjoy. I certainly understand that for many the included food is good enough and think it is great that those of us who want an enhanced dining experience can pay up for this, but those that enjoy all meals in free venues do not have to pay more in their cruise fare for the specialty restaurants to be no charge. Also, by charging for certain venues, you keep them from being over crowded.

Once again Gonzo - my sentiments exactly!

Also agree with the above. Cruising is excellent value for money and if you attempted the same itinerary on the European cruises for instance, it would cost you so much more in airfares, hotels, food etc. The extra $35 service charge in the Specialty restaurants is an absolute bargain and I have no hesitation in paying it. Frankly the whingeing that goes on about extra Celebrity costs is tiresome as you have plenty of other choices.

My point is that there is a constant downward trend in the quality of the food served on cruise ships industry-wide. The extravagant parts of the menu have been moderated and some of those choices have been migrated to the "specialty" restaurants. At one time, there was at least one night when you could get a whole lobster for dinner. That has been replaced by half of a lobster tail. Surf and turf night is shrimp and steak. The prime rib in the QM2 dining room was not nearly as good as that in the Texas Roadhouse.

Don't get me wrong, I'm for moderate prices too. If, however, prices need to rise to keep a certain level of quality, then they should. Some of the cruises are going for less per night than you would pay to stay at a decent hotel. It would be interesting to track the increase in cruise fares versus the increase of other items.

Photo and Interview Opportunities Available

Who/What:

On Tuesday, March 1, Celebrity Cruises will celebrate the arrival of its newest and most innovative ship, Celebrity Silhouette, to the tri-state area with an event outside the New York Stock Exchange. Celebrity Cruises has commissioned world-renowned inventor of 3-D street painting, Kurt Wenner, to create a one-day only art installation beneath the NYSE façade in honor of Celebrity Silhouette, scheduled to arrive at Cape Liberty in Bayonne in November 2011.

Photo Opportunity:

See Wenner’s depiction of Celebrity Silhouette’s industry-first Lawn Club, a half acre of real, growing grass on the top deck, with the industry’s first outdoor, interactive grill restaurant.

Interview Opportunity:

Artist Kurt Wenner will be available for interviews.

When/Where:

Tuesday, March 1, 2011, 8:30am – 2pm

Beneath NYSE Façade on Broad Street

Press Arrival: NYSE Security Checkpoint/Tent at corner of Exchange Place & Broad Street

NYSE Contact:

Media wishing to access the event and/or schedule an interview MUST contact Judy Shaw at 212.656.4290 or jshaw@nyx.com.

Social Media:

Connect with NYSE Euronext on Facebook (NYSE Euronext-Official Site), Twitter (@NYSE_Euronext) and YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/nysetv1).

Photos:

Photos available via Associated Press/New York (212.621.1902), Reuters America (646.223.6285) and Bloomberg Photo (212.617.3420).

from

http://www.nyse.com/about/newsevents/1298460494132.html

New details about the renovation of the Celebrity Summit

After the Celebrity Infinity Celebrity Cruises, reveals the details of the renovation of the Celebrity Summit, which gets a makeover in January 2012, following the example of the elegant Solstice class.

Under the motto "Solsticize it" was last year were already equipped with the Celebrity Constellation, the first ship of the popular Millennium-class with stylish and modern elements of the Solstice class.

Since its founding in 1989, Celebrity Cruises has remained true to its original philosophy to combine the best aspects elegant cruises with modern lifestyle.

What makes Celebrity Cruises other cruise companies, our goal is to do everything that our guests experience with us on a cruise that will exceed their expectations. "Designed for you" has become the hallmark of Celebrity Cruises: first-class service, exquisite food and wines, unique room design, total comfort and special discoveries.

Under the banner of Celebrity Cruises Celebrity Eclipse with the new services are currently ten vessels, which together drive over 200 destinations around the world. Two more ships will follow: the Celebrity Silhouette 2011 and a fifth Solstice-class ship in 2012 will increase the fleet.

The brand new world standards in the areas of elegant furnishings, large space, first class comfort and excellent cuisine. The wellness program is very diverse: with their fitness, health and beauty care services, the AquaSpas are among the best-equipped spas at sea.

Celebrity Cruises was also in 2009 again received numerous awards and honors. For example, the readers of the prestigious Condé Nast Traveler's "Celebrity Cruises as the best cruise company in the category of" mega ships "was selected - a clear recognition for the outstanding service and wide variety of travel packages

We’re so excited for Celebrity Silhouette’s November arrival in nearby Cape Liberty (Bayonne), NJ that we wanted to spread the word to everyone in New York’s financial district with a banner across the NYSE’s façade. The banner lets all passersby know that an escape to the Caribbean is just 13 miles from Wall Street.

from

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/celebritycruises

Celebrity Cruises commissioned Kurt Werner, the inventor of 3-D street art, to create an innovative art installation at the New York Stock Exchange Tuesday. It was all to celebrate the arrival of the cruise line's newest Solstice-class ship Celebrity Silhouette.

from

http://www.gadling.com/2011/03/02/celebrity-cruises-to-wall-street-brings-caribbean/

2021971970083315880S600x600Q85.jpg

Archived