why do alot of people not like lurkers?

debsavas

At the risk of being flamed, I am wondering this. I have not been much of a poster, but have "lurked" on this site for two years. I do not post because I have only been on a few cruises and do not have much to say that already has not been said.

I do read all posts because their is so much information when planning a trip. I have made alot of my decisions based on info supplied by you all. So as a "lurker ", i appreciate the help!

The first line of your post pretty much says it all- people are just uncomfortable posting in what they percieve to be a hostile enviroment. I think their perception is a little off as there seems to be far more nice and helpful people than nasty people. Lurker is a slang term with a not so nice connatation, I prefer board reader or observer. Maybe I've missed something but I have not seen "lurkers" being attacked. You have been on cruises, I have no doubt you could add to these boards. If the truth be known there are areas on these boards where people who have not cruised could add their knowledge and experience. I haven't been on a cruise in 12 years (going next week) and I've learned quite a bit from the people who post both questions and responses. These boards are not as nasty as some of the land based vacation boards I've been on:) .

I did not mean lurkers get attacked. I just noticed reading some posts That "lurking" was brought up and it seemed that people had a problem at times with that.

I do admit I have refrained from posting sometimes because i see nasty responses. I as I said before, Ii love reading posts and have gotten alot of valuable help by doing so. So thank you all for that. If I have anything to pst that will help people, i will post in the future.

You can't see them if they are lurking...So..you don't know they are lurking..SO,theres really no problem with lurkers.:D

I know there is a lot of talk about negative posts,and slamming newbies.But that really is not the case.Newbies are welcomed,embraced and are the life-line of the board.With-out them,the board would die.It's like someone said earlier.When someone registors and makes their first post a hyper-complaint,then that fair or not,is going to draw some ney-sayers.

I think its great to have some checks and balances.There are all kinds of bizzare and false things that are posted on these boards.There is also,some outright lies,and things that need to be called on when they are posted.No need to get everyone in a uproar,when its just someone with a vendetta.(SP)?

I,personally do not have a problem,when someone questions a persons 1st post,when it is filled with inaccuracies.To me,the problem lies when others jump in,and start "flaming" if you will,the person who questioned the post.That starts more wars,than anything,in my opinion.I mean,if it is an out right ugly post,then the mods will take care of it,or the OP is free to respond.

Alot of times,these first posts are very sparatic,and hard to follow,so some follow-up questions are needed.

I don't have an objection to someone "respectfully disagreeing" with a post,but if it is not directed to you personally,its usually best to leave it alone.

Happy Sails

My name is froggie Q and I've been lurking for the last month - since I booked my first cruise. I find that I've become quite addicted to the boards. It helps me wait 13 (more) months for my cruise. These boards have been so helpful and I've wanted to say thanks for a long time now but I must admit I've been a little afraid to join after reading some posts.

At this point I feel that I must confess that I have children and I do plan on cruising with them.:o

There, I am no longer a lurker. Now all I need is a countdown clock!

That is a Horrible term for people just checking in and reading valuable info or anything that may help them in even the smallest way. I wish that term was never implied to these boards.

So I suppose the people that read the daily newspaper, or any magazines would be considered "lurkers" because they did not send in an editorial article to the paper/magazine? :eek:

To all supposed "lurkers":

We feel blessed that you would give us the compliment of reading our posts. Makes us all feel like celebs! :)

Cheers!

• Administrators
To all the lurkers out there.....

Hello and welcome to Cruise Critic :)

I have no problem with lurkers, cruise critic is about sharing information. If a lurker is reading it, then to me it is worth the time it took me to post.

Bobbie

This is just what I needed after a long day at the 'puter! What a very nice thing to say....

Laura

Hey, I was a long time lurker. Although, I'm obviously not anymore.:D I think most people are in the beginning. The only problem I've ever seen with "lurkers" has been what was already mentioned about starting your first few posts flaming something and then never posting again. So you're inclined to think it's just someone looking to stp.

I'll second the lurker post. I just booked my first RCCL cruise today on Sovereign of the Seas. I have cruised before on Carnival but am trying something new.

I think I might be becoming addicted to this board too. As soon as I check my email I start reading the boards looking for new stuff and new reviews.

Keep the info flowing.

When I post and mention lurkers it is a ploy to get them to join in the fun. To get out there and meet people. A cruise is a wonderful thing and we have met many wonderful people on these boards that have made that experience even better. So to all the "lurkers" join in and have some fun.

Oh, alright......My wife and I have been lurking for a couple of months now. Actually, I was trying to wait until our countdown clock was measured in days, rather than years:D DW is making a list of questions to start either searching for answers, or post for answers. We'll "get out there" and "get in here" eventually!

Honestly I think part of the problem is that it's not the Lurkers themselves, its that some of the people that just come on here, and post a few times are extremely negitive and in some cases untruthful.

You can often spot them because it seems as if they have NOTHING positive to say about anything at all, and complain about stuff that everyone else has found more than acceptable. Some of the people never help anyone, give positive advise, but the only time they post is to complain!

What we're all talking about is the difference between lurkers and trolls (now that I've spelled them both, they do sound equally nasty). I was a lurker for about a year before I signed up. We love new people here. Sometimes I just check things out to see if someone is looking for information I just may have, and I love sharing it with them. While I lurked around, I found and used great information. And that's what this board is all about. I find useful information here everytime I log on.

Have you ever said a word so many times that it really sounds weird???

lurker, lurker, lurker........

Anyway, welcome to all those who want information from the vast knowledge base on these boards......don't ever feel like you don't have anything to add or have a dumb question. If you think it is dumb, I am sure many others have had the same question......

Hey hoop, I wanna do what you do to cruise so much... :D

Archived