Wuestion about medical facilities and Norovirus?

burnsie

It has occurred to me that all who have talked about visiting the medical facilities on the ship and who were ill with the norovirus have never commented about the expense of going to medical.

Considering cost is usually the first thing everyone mentions I was wondering if they charge for a visit to medical when it has to do with norovirus. It is in the best interest of the cruise line that those affected seek medical attention if for no other reason for them to track and quarentine as needed. But there are some that would avoid seeking medical attention due to the cost of using the medical facility.

We have taken trip insurance just in case but I was wondering what the cost was for thier visit to medical?

My husband and I both contracted norovirus on our November cruise on the Liberty. We both we very ill-at different times. We both went to the medical clinic and received a medication for vomiting and diarreah. I also had to have an IV inserted because I was so dehydrated. We were not charged at all. However, because we went to the medical clinic we were told to stay in the cabin for at least 24 hours. We were called repeatedly by guest relations and the medical clinic to check on our condition but I also think to check that we remained cabin bound. We were told we had free movies and mini bar but were charged for both (they eventually took them off the bill) I am not sure I would go the clinic again because of the constant phone calls we received. Believe me when you get the virus you don't feel like leaving your cabin anyway. We missed a total of 4 1/2 days of our cruise and my husband missed all the ports. This was our 37th cruise and the first time we were ill. We are constant hand washers and I wipe the cabin down with clorox wipes before we unpack. So sometimes you just get it no matter how many precautions you take.

If you get norovirus just stay in your cabin to prevent the spread of virus.. Nothing you can do will help it , it just has to run its course. This is assuming you are healthy and don't have other health issues.

Sometimes the vomiting is extreme and prescription medicines are required. Even young and healthy patients will sometimes need to be given IV fluids if they get too dehydrated from vomiting and/or diarrhea. So it's not really true that "nothing" will help if you get it.

Sometimes the vomiting is extreme and prescription medicines are required. Even young and healthy patients will sometimes need to be given IV fluids if they get too dehydrated from vomiting and/or diarrhea. So it's not really true that "nothing" will help if you get it.

Very true! It was my 20 year old, very healthy, son that required medication! Fortunately, he didn't require an IV.

Not usually a worry wort but the last two times I got the stomach flu I ended up dehydrated. We sprung for the insurance yesterday so I am sure we will be fine. lol I was thinking of bringing a couple bottles of diet dr pepper for the cabin but maybe I will throw in some Gatorade.

Not sure if it is good or bad that we are going to a port so close to home I'm to tempted to pack to many things. :)

Somewhere in your cabin or the day 1 compass they talk about going to clinic if you think you have NORO and they check you out at no charge. They don't want cost to be a barrier to someone getting checked out. For one if they DX you then can sequester you (give you full time room service) and help you feel better....all ideally to help prevent the spready of the bug to others.

Not usually a worry wort but the last two times I got the stomach flu I ended up dehydrated. We sprung for the insurance yesterday so I am sure we will be fine. lol I was thinking of bringing a couple bottles of diet dr pepper for the cabin but maybe I will throw in some Gatorade.

Not sure if it is good or bad that we are going to a port so close to home I'm to tempted to pack to many things. :)

Diet Ginger Ale can be helpful also!

TnT

Is there anything you can take before you leave for your cruise either over the counter or from your doctor to try and keep you from first getting it and if you do get it, it won't be so bad. I know wash your hand many times but I'm looking more towards pharmisutical :eek:

Thanks

Mark

Is there anything you can take before you leave for your cruise either over the counter or from your doctor to try and keep you from first getting it and if you do get it, it won't be so bad. I know wash your hand many times but I'm looking more towards pharmisutical :eek:

Thanks

Mark

No. There is nothing to prevent it pharmaceutically. It's a virus and washing your hands is less about protecting you, and more about protecting others from you. It's like those surgical masks you see people wear. It does less for them than it does for others. What I still don't think people understand is that all the alcohol sanitizers in the world won't keep you from catching a virus. They work great against bacteria, but do little to viruses. The best thing to do besides washing your hands is to always use utensils when you eat and keep your hands away from your face unless you have just washed them. The use of hand sanitizers in the food areas is great for preventing e-coli and other bacteria based illnesses but don't ever think it stops noro or any other virus.

If you get norovirus just stay in your cabin to prevent the spread of virus.. Nothing you can do will help it , it just has to run its course. This is assuming you are healthy and don't have other health issues.
I knew someone would want to have an argument. I though things such as dehydration would be covered under other health issues. Most folks should know when they need to see a Doctor and yes sometimes other related problems can be helped. However I still stand by my statement that Norovirus cannot be cured by a pill, shot or OTC meds. such as Imodium® in fact the OTC mentioned will prolong the illness!

I knew someone would want to have an argument. I though things such as dehydration would be covered under other health issues. Most folks should know when they need to see a Doctor and yes sometimes other related problems can be helped. However I still stand by my statement that Norovirus cannot be cured by a pill, shot or OTC meds. such as Imodium® in fact the OTC mentioned will prolong the illness!

When our son came down with noro we had no idea what he had. Yes, we had heard of the disease but had no personal experience with it. He became violently ill. When we took him to the ship's physician, we certainly got the impression that they wanted those that came down with noro to visit the medical facility. That way they would have some way of knowing the number of people that became ill and could respond accordingly. Also, they were very good about checking in with him to see how he was doing. I suspect they also alerted his cabin attendant because she took certain precautions and disinfected the cabin at different intervals. When his symptoms subsided, she removed all bedding, comforters included and replaced it.

I agree that there isn't much that can be done to "cure" noro, there are prescription medications available that can make the patient less miserable.

Based on our personal experience, I would not encourage someone to not visit the medical facility. If in doubt, make a phone call from your room. While it might not hasten recovery, the staff can help to make you more comfortable.

No, it's not "other health issues", it's often a direct effect of noro. Vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration can all be a direct result of this virus, and any of those can require a trip to the infirmary for intervention. No one has argued that a pill, shot or OTC meds can cure noro, but that doesn't mean those interventions cannot become very necessary.

It has occurred to me that all who have talked about visiting the medical facilities on the ship and who were ill with the norovirus have never commented about the expense of going to medical.

Considering cost is usually the first thing everyone mentions I was wondering if they charge for a visit to medical when it has to do with norovirus. It is in the best interest of the cruise line that those affected seek medical attention if for no other reason for them to track and quarentine as needed. But there are some that would avoid seeking medical attention due to the cost of using the medical facility.

We have taken trip insurance just in case but I was wondering what the cost was for thier visit to medical?

How do I get medical insurance for a cruise? I bought the cruise insurance but I think that just covers me if I have to cancel? This is my first cruise & I'll be on the Radiance in 2 weeks, concerned now that the norovirus has hit.

No, it's not "other health issues", it's often a direct effect of noro. Vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration can all be a direct result of this virus, and any of those can require a trip to the infirmary for intervention. No one has argued that a pill, shot or OTC meds can cure noro, but that doesn't mean those interventions cannot become very necessary.
Ok I'll agree with that.

The fact is a lot of people get norovirus ashore and would never think twice about it and would assume they had a typical stomach virus (which is what noro is anyway) or food poisoning and never go to the doctor or er unless they got dehydrated. Quite a few people have had noro while not onboard a ship and just chalk it up to something going around, which it is. Noro is more common in nursing homes and schools than it is on ships.

Back to what the OP asked, I have seen many posts from people who had noro while onboard and remember reading that they weren't charged for visiting the facility.

Archived