Jew of the Seas - March Cruise

zonki

Hi all,

We'll be going on the Panama cruise in March, with my 2year old son, DH, and both sets of grandparents. Any recommendations for motion sickness remedies for the baby and adults? Thanks for your help.

Zonki

Oh dear- you need to be careful with your titles! Certainly caught my eye!:eek:

As far as sea sickness- ginger pills can be very helpful and there are many sea sick remedies out there that work well. Do you have a particular reason to think that your 2 year old will be sea sick? Does he get car sick? Many kids take to the sea without any problems at all.

That title threw me for a loop as well -- oops!:D

My DD had issues with winding roads (never got sick, but very cranky!) and even now has issues. She never had problems on the ship but does have some issues on tenders and other smaller vessels. So each person is different.

Ginger is a good remedy for minor motion sickness -- for the 2YO you could bring some ginger snap cookies (just make certain they contain REAL ginger, not just ginger flavored) when DD was young we also found some non-carbonated ginger beer (think root beer) that we had success with (watered down 50-50). As she's gotten older, candied ginger nips (see The Spice House's on-line site for some really good quality candied ginger "nibs")

For those in the over 12YO set bonine is the best OTC remedy. For the U12 (and particulary for your 2YO) I'd double check with their pediatrian before even trying an OTC remedy.

Most children under the age of 5 or so... they say that their sense of balance isn't mature enough to get confused by the rocking of a boat... so many sources will say that motion sickness won't be an issue for toddlers.

That being said, the only pharmaceutical OTC remedy for motion sickness for kids under the age of 12 is a drug called dimenhydrinate (aka. Dramamine Original Formula in the US or Gravol in Canada)

http://www.dramamine.com/chewable-formula

To prevent motion sickness, the first dose should be taken ½ to 1 hour before starting activity.

To prevent or treat motion sickness, see below:

• adults and children 12 years and over 1 to 2 chewable tablets every 4-6 hours; do not take more than 8 tablets in 24 hours, or as directed by a doctor
  • children 6 to under 12 years ½ to 1 chewable tablet every 6-8 hours; do not take more than 3 tablets in 24 hours, or as directed by a doctor
  • children 2 to under 6 years ½ chewable tablet every 6-8 hours; do not take more than 1-½ tablets in 24 hours, or as directed by a doctor

Bonine (meclizine) is a GREAT remedy for kids and adults over the age of 12, but nobody ever did any research on whether it is safe and effective for kids under 12 (since it was originally a prescription drug called Antivert for the treatment of vertigo in adults)

Bonine for Kids is not on my list of things I like to recommend in the pharmacy. It's cyclizine. Same family as dimenhydrinate and meclizine but I feel it causes more drowsiness than Dramamine and normal Bonine.

Ginger works. Altoids even has a Ginger Altoid!

ginger.jpg

and Sea Band makes a ginger gum

200.JPG

One thing I also haven't mentioned in a while is the wonders of Benadryl.

Yes, it's an anti-histamine marketed for the treatment of allergies... but you can ALSO use it for motion sickness (but it really konks you out)

http://www.drugs.com/benadryl.html

Benadryl is also used to suppress coughs, to treat motion sickness, to induce sleep, and to treat mild forms of Parkinson's disease.

This is because Benadryl (diphenhydramine) is ALSO in the same family as the motion sickness medicines. It's actually closer to Dramamine (dimenhydrinate)... but that's a whole medicinal chemistry lecture... and I blocked those nightmares out of my memories of pharmacy school.

I haven't seen ginger Altoids in the markets for a couple of years now. I was able to buy them online, though.

I take less drowsy Bonine and I find that it works, plus it lives up to its "non drowsy" title. I would second the motion to check with your pediatrician for remedies for your little one.

I'm surprised you haven't gotten more responses with a thread title like that!:p;)

I haven't seen ginger Altoids in the markets for a couple of years now. I was able to buy them online, though.

First time I ever saw it was at a Trader Joe's... and I immediately thought to myself 'Where was this when my wife was pregnant!?!?'

I think they're great, now.

Archived