Any movement on Caribbean Princess?

RachelNYC

The movement you feel will depend on two things, the condition of the seas when you sail and where your cabin is located. NO ONE can predict what mother nature has in store so there is not a way to tell you how much movement you will encounter. Also, book a cabin mid ship lower down and there should also be less movement down there.

Yes, there will be movement. To what extent will depend on the sea conditions.

If you were bothered by the movement on your last cruise that make sure you bring Bonine or whatever you use to prevent seasickness.

Scott

The movement you feel will depend on two things, the condition of the seas when you sail and where your cabin is located. NO ONE can predict what mother nature has in store so there is not a way to tell you how much movement you will encounter. Also, book a cabin mid ship lower down and there should also be less movement down there.
This is exactly right. So much depends on the sea and wind conditions and that's impossible to predict ahead of time.

I haven't been on a cruise in a few years and I'm nervous about the movement factor..... Is there much movement (swaying and/or up/down) on the Caribbean Princess?

-Rachel:confused:

Yes, alot.

I'm a 37 yr old female. I was on her last week. I'm not going to sugar coat my words. I'm going to be very honest with you.

I have owned two boats. I'm fine in the bay but can't handle the lake when it gets rough.

I was concerned about motion since this was my first cruise, so I prepared myself.

I do have problems with motion at home. (backseat of a car, amusement rides, even going in reverse in a car)

We got a cabin midship, with a balcony, for fresh air.

I put the patch on many hours before getting on the ship.

I also wore the sea bracelets 24/7.

I also took bonine twice a day.

I also ate apples.

A lady gave me ginger on the tender to Princess Cays.

Yet, I was still seasick the whole time on the ship.

It was not as bad during the day when the captain seemed to go slower.

I was fine on land at every port and had a great time.

I only went to the Neptune pool in the middle of the ship during the day.

Try that if you have a rough time.

I only made it one and a half hour out of Ft. Lauderdale before throwing up.

I saw the towels swaying back and forth in our bathroom.:(

I'm not sure I could have done anything differently. (I'd love any suggestions!)

I tried to make the best of it.

I did have fun despite that.

I talked to many people who gave different reasons for the roughness:

Wind, waves, captain going faster at night, after effects of the Tsunami, the ship has an extra deck so the wind whips it harder.

You name it, I heard it.

Some said it was the worst motion they have felt, some said it was fine.

The good news is everytime we roamed around the ship there were thousands of people having fun.

So...in other words...they were NOT sick.

It was better on the way back the last couple days.

I stopped taking the bonine.

The waves seemed calmer, it seemed the captain was going slower and the winds had calmed down.

I'm still trying to figure it out. I would like to cruise again, but I can't figure out how.

I do suffer from migraines. I read that you have 5 X's more of a chance of getting motion sickness if you have them.

I don't know if that's true.

My bf has cruised before and said that was the most motion he felt, but he was fine and took his patch off the first day.

I was told it happens because of the inner ear.

I guess the other people had better ears than me.

Kristal

Hi, Kristal. Hey, you said you felt better when you started drinking ;) :p . I know that's no help to whoever started this thread, but I had to get it in there.

If you're concerned about motion, come prepared. That's all you can do and all you can rely on once they untie her from the dock. If the seas are "rough" the first 2 days, it should calm down from Monday night to Thursday morning. That's when you're out of the Atlantic and have moved south into the Caribbean. I believe it's generally calmer in the Caribbean Sea than it is in the Atlantic. You might make a note of that, Kristal. If you're brave enough to give cruising another try, you might consider a southern Caribbean itinerary originating out of San Juan.

Kristal. The flat hull design and extra decks of the CB makes for a exciting ride in rough seas.. As for your seasickness, a quick trip to the medical facility for a shot would have eliminated your problem.

Crossing the Gulf Stream (Florida Current) can be notoriously rough. We bounced quite a bit soon after we left FLL on Caribbean Princess. One of our group was an experienced boater in the area and said it wasn't unusual to get rough seas there even when the weather seems nice. Personally, I don't think Caribbean Princess moves around any more than the other Grand-class ships.

Some people are much more sensitive than others. Like Kristal said, all it took was the sight of towels swaying to make her ill. We are fortunate in that we like having some movement. It serves as a constant reminder that we are at sea.

Archived