iPad 3g?

Rally

There are threads and posts regarding the use of Apple's iPad 3g, but I can't find an answer to this question: Using the 3g, is it possible to bypass the ships wifi service (and thus the connection fee? When I have used my Kindle onboard I have connected without logging into the ships system, so don't see why it shouldn't also work with the iPad, but wonder if anyone has had experience with this. Thanks! =)

Using the 3g, is it possible to bypass the ships wifi service (and thus the connection fee)?

3G service for iPad and iPhone are delivered over the celular network. If the ship is in port, you should be picked up by the local cellular network. Be advised that the international roaming rates for 3G data are nothing short of ridiculous which is why data roaming is off by default (on the iPhone...I'd expect the same on the iPad). If you enable it and use your iPad much, expect $100's in roaming charges. The newer Kindles provide free "global" (most of Europe...not necessarily everywhere) coverage which prevents these surcharges when overseas which may explain your experience. Still will only work when near shore.

For an iPad/IPhone, if you have data roaming turned on and are at sea, it may or may not be picked up by the ship's cellular-at-sea capability. I don't know whether this is the case, but if so then expect the $2-3/minute cell fee on top of the extreme roaming fees.

Bottom line is that if you are in port in a native service area for your iPad (I assume AT&T meaning the US), no problem. If at sea then the ship's wi-fi is likely to be your cheapest (but not cheap) option. Just one more reason I like Regent's free Internet after 20 nights policy.

Archived