Sorrento to Pompeii tour guide

JBVols

We heard about this man on a Rick Steeves special. He was a bit expensive, but well worth it. Our experience was first rate.

http://pompeiitourguide.com/

We had him for our guide last April. We read about him in Rick Steves' book. He highly recommended him. The tour of Pompeii with Gaetano was a highlight of our trip. I agree with jjeffjb, he was excellent!!!!!:D

Just a note: Since, in your subject title, you noted it as "Sorrento to Pompei", please be aware of an important distinction when touring in Italy:

There are "guides" who are actually unlicensed drivers...and there arer "licensed guides"...

In Italy, unlicensed "drivers", who often hold themselves out as "guides" CANNOT lead you on a narrated tour within any archaeological or historic site (ie, Pompeii, the Vatican, etc.)...They can only provide narration while driving...

So, if you hire any guide for the express purpose of guiding you through Pompeii, make sure he/she is licensed...

(I am pretty sure Gaetano, recommended here IS licensed)

If you have hired an unlicensed "driver", you will need to hire, or have the driver hire, an additional licensed guide to take you through the site.

It appears that Gaetano will arrange for a driver to pick you up at your ship and take you to the site--where he will meet you for the tour...

Probably best to find a guide who will take care of all of the arrangements--both transportation AND the licensed tour.

BTW, most unlicensed drivers will push the "Amalfi Coast" tour...Why? Because most needed narration can be given while driving the route...Of course, it does not make that a bad option--it's a scenic and enjoyable tour...We did it and enjoyed it...but, Pompeii is SPECTACULAR and must be seen...

Enjoy...

We had a wonderful tour out of Sorrento with Marcello of seesorrento.com. He arranged for a wonderful guide to take us through Pompeii. We've toured with Marcello twice and wouldn't hesitate to use him again.

Joan

I'll make that 3 - simply outstanding! I took the 3 hour tour with him and couldn't believe how fast 3 hours blew by.

If your issue is getting from Sorento to Pompeii the easy answer is take the train which is 3.5 euro rather than several hundred euro for someone to drive you there.

We had him for our guide last April. We read about him in Rick Steves' book. He highly recommended him. The tour of Pompeii with Gaetano was a highlight of our trip. I agree with jjeffjb, he was excellent!!!!!:D

I highly recommend Lucia. We arranged to have her meet us at the car park and she gave us a private tour. Well worth every penny. 3hr private tour was 130E.

luciapompeiiguide@yahoo.it

We also toured with Lucia and she and her driver were professional, accommodating and flexible. She is licensed (Bruin Steve's comment above). We wanted to visit Pompeii, Herculeneum and climb the volcano. But it was raining the day we were there, so the volcano park was closed. She brought umbrellas for us, did NOT push us to eat or shop at family stores to fill time, rather she suggested the historical museum to replace the volcano. Really, she rounded out the day beautifully with her thoughts, as the museum was also fascinating, with some of the original pieces that have been copied in Pompeii, and some really fine samples of work to delicate to remain uncovered.

BTW, I recommend you see Herculano too. It is very different from Pompeii, and the juxtaposition with the existing city over the top is really interesting to think about.

Good luck. Have a good cruise. Kay

I'm sure all these guides are excellent. We opted for a leisurely, less expensive option. The train station in Sorrento is two blocks from where the ship's shuttle bus stops...the train is simple and easy (buy return)...and takes you right to the gate of the Pompeii site. After admission, we used a $2.95 audio tour we had downloaded on our iPods. There were so many guides giving tours in English, that we could always stop and listen to their stories. ;)

At the end of the tour route, still inside the site, is a nice outdoor cafe where we lingered over snacks & Peroni's. :D

Enjoy !

B&B :cool:

We are on the Nautica sailing from Rome to Athens departing on June13, 2011. Could someone recommend a tour guide for an excursion to Pompeii?

We had a wonderful tour with Mariano from pleasantravel dot com I would highly recommend him. He arranged a guide for us at Pompeii who is a professor at a local university and it was a treat to experience the guide's love and knowledge of Pompeii.

If you are savy in shape and want to save a lot of money; take the train and hire a guide at Pompeii. We walked from the cruise ship approx.15 minutes to the train station. When we got to the station, looked around and some teen's shouted Pompeii and pointed us to the train to Pompeii. It's clean & faster than auto. Plenty of guides outside Pompeii to hire.

The best part is that on the way back we could see the traffic crawling along, as we sailed along. Many who hired tours at the ship dock had trouble getting back on time.

Make sure you have good walking shoes etc.,. for the tour. and when in the city shopping women leave handbags on the ship or you might loose it or what's in it.

Remember to be on deck as you leave, hopefully at dusk to see the glowing lava on the Volcano. As good as it gets. It's a great port/tour.

We had a wonderful tour out of Sorrento with Marcello of seesorrento.com. He arranged for a wonderful guide to take us through Pompeii. We've toured with Marcello twice and wouldn't hesitate to use him again.

Joan

Ditto, except we have only had the pleasure of utilizing his services once.

Another vote for the marvelous Marcello :D

And by all means let him pick the restaurant for lunch- You'll be amazed!

I certainly was! Thanks again for making my birthday the most memorable one of my life. This year we will be on Marina for my birthday!:D

However, for just going to Pompeii for the day, I recommend the train (runs every 30 minutes at least) and then using the excellent extensive booklet included in your entrance fee keyed to more than 80 stops on your map (or audioguide if you prefer) for a lengthy visit at your own pace.

Archived