Disney Fantasy vs. Allure/Oasis or Freedom of the Seas for Family Cruise?

quadman

Do you suppose they will install Fastpass machines outside the entrance to the Aquaduck?:D For those of you familiar with WDW, I just could not resist this comment.

It's actually probably a really good idea. Put your room key in, choose an hour, and get one Fast Pass a day per guest, standby as much as you want. Personally it's nothing I plan on doing. I suspect my husband will want to give it a try, but possibly not if he has to wait in line for an hour or longer.

I have to strongly disagree with you Iceman.

I can see why, based on the experience you had! It sounds like that Club HAL counselor really needs to find another line of work.

While I'm truly sorry your one HAL experience was so poor, I can only offer that my daughter has now sailed on the Rotterdam, Maasdam, Ryndam, Westerdam, and Amsterdam and has loved the kids' programs (and counselors) on all of them. And it doesn't have to do with numbers, as the sailings we've done, which tend to be longer ones, have never had even the 20 kids that were on your sailing. A good counselor, who truly enjoys being with children, can come up with creative and fun activities whether there are 1 or 100 kids, it seems to me.

I have been one Carnival and two Disney cruises, so can't do the comparing you are requesting. I would like to say though, that you really should try Disney Cruise Line if you have not already; you will not be sorry, and it is a very unique experience compared to cruising other lines. Plus, it is consistently rated the best cruise line for families. We are a family group of 13 that sailed last October on the Wonder. There were 5 kids, ages 7, 8, 9, 10, & 11 and they all loved each and every thing about the cruise (we all did). We did the late dining, and every evening there was our table for 13 all ready for us along with the same smiling waiters. They took great care of us, entertained us and the kids, and even cut the kid's meat for them and served their ketchup in a Mickey Mouse design! Everything about the cruise is top notch, and you are not nickel and dimed. Plus, you will get to visit Disney's private island, Castaway Cay - one the highlights of both Disney cruises we have taken. Since you have kids, you really should just take a deep breath, stop the comparing, and book the Disney cruise! ;)

Going to try to throw in my .02, for what it's worth.

We sailed on the Disney Magic when DD was 5 months old. Freedom of the Seas when she was 18 months old. Oasis when she was 2 1/2 and just did a preview of the Disney Dream and she is not yet 3.

We had started to go with RCCL because they offered stuff for Toddlers, while DCL did not (but that doesn't really apply to you).

On Freedom and Oasis I also had my nieces who are 17 and 12 (so 16 and 11 when we did Freedom). They had tons to do on both ships. They did not participate in the kids areas, so I can not speak on those. Between mini golf, the pools and H20 zone, flowriding, rock climbing and just exploring both ships they had a blast. On Oasis they took part in decorating cupcakes, scavenger hunts (with provided video cameras), and the Live the Oasis activity book and contest, not to mention getting to ride a carousel.

The Disney Dream has great areas for all the different age groups, with lots of planned activites for families and each age. They also have interactive art that could keep the kids busy for hours playing detective (Midship Detective Agency), as well as just exploring. There is the Aquaduck. Great interactive entertainment in the diningrooms during dinner. Pirate deck party with fireworks. Lots of character experiences!

I found the food better on Disney when eating in the dining rooms, and when it came to "other" food options. Freedom and Oasis have Sorrentos for Pizza and the Cafe for cookies and sandwiches. Disney had Flo's which is broken down into numerous windows for burgers, grilled chicken or chicken fingers, pizza, salads and fruits. Much more options. After 2 RCCL cruises, I was missing cookies- but I am sure my waist was not :-)

Of course, Oasis had more options for places to eat in general (with surcharges for many).

Entertainment wise, Disney shows are of course Disney character driven. Oasis and Allure had AMAZING shows. I would pick Allure over Oasis when it comes to the shows. Actually, due to the little extras that Allure learned from Oasis, I would pick Allure in general. Freedom shows were typical cruise shows.

If you have any specific questions- I will be happy to try to answer.

Good Luck with your decision!

• 2 months later...
Going to try to throw in my .02, for what it's worth.

We sailed on the Disney Magic when DD was 5 months old. Freedom of the Seas when she was 18 months old. Oasis when she was 2 1/2 and just did a preview of the Disney Dream and she is not yet 3.

We had started to go with RCCL because they offered stuff for Toddlers, while DCL did not (but that doesn't really apply to you).

Hi, I am trying to decide between Oasis and Disney as well. We will have an 18 month old when we sail, and since you have been on both with a child of similar age, what cruise line would you go with?

RCL seems to have a better infant program, with longer hours and the bonus of in-room babysitting. This is my main priority, finding good child care for my 18 months old, while still having some "adult" free time. Of course Disney seems to have a good program also, but I am worried that you can only pre-book 10 hours of infant care before you sail, and there is no in-room babysitting if you want to go out once your child is asleep.

Please help me decide? We are first time cruisers and this whole process is very over whelming!

Archived