Help needed selecting PFD/life vest for 20-month DS

GracieCat0_1

We are going to the Caribbean in May. DS will be 20 months and probably close to 30 pounds. He's 25-26lbs now. I'm having trouble deciding on which type of life vest to get. Type II with or without the neck float, or a more comfortable Type III. I want him to wear it when we are tendered one port, taking a boat to an island beach escape, and then playing along the shore. He was 10 months last beach trip and loved crawling the surf (well supervised). Now, he's much more independent and I want him to be safe®. It's not going to do any good if he refuses to wear the vest if it is too bulky.

Any one have an experiences to share or suggestions? Thanks!

I can't speak to the type of life vest, but with a little guy myself, I can say that their weight gain really slows down. I'd be surprised if he continues to gain at the rate of 1 lb per month. It could easily take him the rest of the year to gain 4 lbs, it tends to get to be more like 1 lb every 3 months.

My kids use the Kidder brand neoprene life jackets. They breathe better because of the neoprene and keep them cooler, and I think they are less bulky overall. They are a little costlier than the nylon ones, but they wear them without complaining, so it's worth it.

As far as size goes, only you can make that determination- of course they are rated as "infant" with the neck float until 30 lbs, and then "child" from 30-50lb. You could argue that the 30 lb makes more sense as an "investment" since you can use it longer, but if your child isn't 30 lb yet, he should really be in the smaller one. The Child size doesn't have the neck float, but does have the strap between the legs.

You don't say where you are, but if you go to a sporting goods store, especially the ones that specialize in boating stuff, or big ones like Cabelas or Bass Pro, they probably will have them in stock, even out of season, and you could try them on and see how he tolerates them. EM

This summer DS used a puddle jumper in our pool and at a water park. He was jumping in the pool and basically swimming around on his own. He will be 2 in March and just now weighs about 26lbs. The weight says they start at 30lbs but he wouldn't wear a regular life jacket and the puddle jumper worked really great.

Archived