trip advisor adds airline ratings...

smeyer418

Trip Advisor is already starting off on the wrong foot by "seeding" the reviews. Plus, I would rather rely on more objective statistics than travelers' subjective opinions.

Skytrax (www.airlinequality.com) has had travelers' ratings of airline and airports for several years. Still anecdotal evidence, but could be useful. Hopefully airlines are big enough that company owners won't feel compelled to post fake reviews (seems especially common for B&Bs), with hyperbolic praise.

Actually it is very common for hotels too on Trip Advisor. It has become such a problem that hotels are considering a lawsuit in both the UK and US against Trip Advisor. Most travelers rely on Trip Advisor's reviews as the holy grail and it is unfortunate. Many, many reviews are bogus. And some that complain too much about a lodging establishment get bullied into removing their review under threat of a lawsuit (see the Help Us Make Trip Advisor Better forum for some clues and examples). And some people expect 4* service from a 2* motel then give it a low rating because their expectations are way out of line.

Skytrax (www.airlinequality.com) has had travelers' ratings of airline and airports for several years.
But Skytrax is notoriously unreliable because of the editorial control that they notoriously exercise over what's published and Skytrax's aim of, um, making the final ratings commensurate with the airlines' advertising spend.
Hopefully airlines are big enough that company owners won't feel compelled to post fake reviews (seems especially common for B&Bs), with hyperbolic praise.
Not just hyperbolic praise. There are plenty of TripAdvisor reviews I've seen that are clearly fake dings, intended only to damage the establishment concerned.

Despite what it says, TripAdvisor is really not good at weeding these out. Someone I know runs a B&B and makes much of the high rating on TripAdvisor. But virtually all of the contributors are "1 contribution" wonders, which I find suspicious - particularly as they don't write like TripAdvisor newbies.

Archived