Weather in June for Explorer

saleaaway

Leaving on the explorer on June the 23rd. Have never sailed out of any place else but Florida. I was wondering if anyone could give me a hint on how rough the ocean was going down to Bermuda that time of year... Understand its a crap shoot but was hoping that we we would be able to enjoy that first day at sea.

Thanks

We sailed on the Explorer out of Bayonne on June 10th last year to Bermuda.

No problems with the seas. We don't use the pool so I can't say if the first day was pool weather or not. Our weather was almost perfect, only rained one day, in Nassau. Don't remember it being uncomfortably cool, and that's coming from a Texan, where it is usually in the 90's by June.

You shouldn't have a problem based on our experience.

Saleaaway,

We did this cruise on June 24, 2010 and will be on the same cruise as you this year too. We had great weather. It was warm from day 1, but the pools were cool the first day.

Be sure to join in our Roll Call and sign up for the RCI Meet & Mingle for this cruise. We have a great bunch and an active Roll Call with fellow CC members for the June 23, 2011 Explorer cruise. I hope to see you on the Roll Call too. Here's the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1188453

Eric

Leaving on the explorer on June the 23rd. Have never sailed out of any place else but Florida. I was wondering if anyone could give me a hint on how rough the ocean was going down to Bermuda that time of year... Understand its a crap shoot but was hoping that we we would be able to enjoy that first day at sea.

Thanks

Previously sailed to Bermuda towards end of May in 1990. Afterward DW and I decided this was too early to go due to cool sailing weather and active seas on way back.

Sailed from New York last year June 19 on HAL. Weather was sunny and high 70's-80 when leaving. Live in NY/NJ, pretty typical for this time of year. T-storms don't start until late July-August.

Make sure you're out on deck to enjoy going under the VErrazano Bridge - clears it with only 20 feet to spare!

Sail down to Bermuda the ocean was calm and flat. Sometimes the first night out can be slightly bumpy but not this time. People were out enjoying the pool deck with absolutely no problems.

Anytime you cross the Gulf Stream life can get interesting on the water but not this time.

The arc course they sail going down gets you out into open water quickly.

Last year during the sail back the ocean was also flat and calm. We zig-zagged around some rain squalls the captain encountered along the way. He said that was pretty typical for this run.

Coming back you get into the Gulf Stream a little more so if you're going to rocked around this is the time you may get it.

In 1990 we were on Nordic Prince which was 23,000 GRT. We got knocked around pretty good on the way back. Explorer is 138,000 GRT, 6 times as large!! Compared to Explorer we were on a row boat!!

In 2010 the ship DW and I were on was 1/3 the size of Explorer so you will certainly get an even better and more stable ride.

Of course people who sail during prime hurricane will experience a whole different ride on occasion.

Weather in Bermuda was absolutely amazing outstanding ranging around 80 with water warm enough to be enjoyable and cool enough to be refreshing.

My prediction: beatiful weather and sailing. Sit back and enjoy.

Happy cruising.

P.S. If you get a chance to see New York for a few days that would be great. We can certainly use the business!

Archived