Which Ships go to Norway?

shops54

We really like scenery and would love to see the fjords. 2 questions: Is it as beautiful as Alaska? Which ships go? We'd like to watch our budget, have no great compelling interest in history, might even decide to take our two college aged daughters. Any ideas. Thanks!

We really like scenery and would love to see the fjords. 2 questions: Is it as beautiful as Alaska? Which ships go? We'd like to watch our budget, have no great compelling interest in history, might even decide to take our two college aged daughters. Any ideas. Thanks!

There are a wide number of options for scenic Norway and its great western coast. Some say Norway is better than Alaska, while others say that they are both roughly equal and comparable. As noted below, we did two weeks along the Norway coast up to the North Cape in early July 2010. It was super great and you can see below a blog/live posting with lots and lots of pictures and specific details. Have not yet been to Alaska, so I can't make that personal comparison. As friends have told me, where all your cruise goes makes a difference, plus the size and type of ship.

COSTS: Don't expect things to be cheap in the Baltics or Norway. They aren't. The season is "short" in this part of the world and things are fairly popular (because the sights are wonderful and unique.) And, labor costs and taxes are very, very high in Norway, making the ship pricing be higher than average compared to you pay in the Carib or Med.

TWO KEY ROUTE OPTIONS: Some of the ship cruises focus mainly in the southern areas of the Norway coast, offering up the fjords, Bergen, etc. That's all nice and wonderful. BUT, some other cruises (including ours) go farther north, above the Arctic Circle, seeing the fantastic Lofoten Island, North Cape, puffins, countrysides without trees, added fjords, etc. If you're just happy with some fjords, the southern part is fine. If you THE WHOLE DEAL, then you need to go farther north, see more, etc.

Lots of ships do these different cruises, including the higher-end lines with smaller ships or the more middle level lines, such as Princess, Costa, Aida, etc. Much depends on whether you want to be on a ship with 2000-3000 people versus those small and more personal ships with 200-900 passengers. Smaller and more personal costs more, but is nicer.

What's it worth to you on the "travel style" and type of cruise experience you desire and can afford??? What all do you want to see? Below are a few sample pictures on the north versus south areas of this beautiful Norway coast.

Reactions to these various ideas and options???? Look forward to hearing back from you with more details and specifics.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 29,500 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

You go on these Norway Coast cruises for the spectacular fjords. From the journey to Flam, Gudvangen and Sognerfjord, here is one picture giving you a sampling of the skies and views for these beautiful internal coast lines of the fjords.

FjordsDramaticClouds2.jpg

This is one of my puffin visuals, showing their bright orange feet, plus their cute and unique beaks. We chartered a small boat from the fishing village of Gjesvaer near the North Cape. We encountered a large herd of reindeer on the way to see millions of various birds at this wildlife island.:

BirdRockPuffinFeet.jpg

As we departed Svolvaer in the Lofoten Islands on a perfect, sunny day, these are two of the green, tree-covered mountains rising up from the sea that we saw with the small out-islands in the foreground.:

LofotenSlovDeparting.jpg

As we drive back on the Lofoten Islands along the western Norway Coast, here is a view, among many, we enjoyed.:

LofotenRockBoatsDramatic.jpg

At Flam, you can see some of the highlights from this day in the Sognerfjord that is rated as the best in all of Norway for these views. This includes a spectacular train ride up the mountain, seeing the valleys, waterfalls, etc.:

FjordsTrainViews2.jpg

From the portside control area, here is the view as our ship sailed up this narrow 300’ wide passage in the Trollfjord as a part of the Lofoton Islands. :

TrollfjordShipControl.jpg

Terry, I have looked over some of your other posts before I posted and your pictures are magnificient! You also include lots of important information that I've already found valuable. Thank YOU! This is the scenery I want but I'm not sure that I can afford. I wonder if other posters could fill me in on what the less expensive option has to offer and perhaps a comparison to Alaska? I can research the ships myself I guess on the ships' websites but 1st hand is always so much more interesting.

Terry, I have looked over some of your other posts before I posted and your pictures are magnificient! You also include lots of important information that I've already found valuable. Thank YOU! This is the scenery I want but I'm not sure that I can afford. I wonder if other posters could fill me in on what the less expensive option has to offer and perhaps a comparison to Alaska? I can research the ships myself I guess on the ships' websites but 1st hand is always so much more interesting.

Appreciate your nice comments on the pictures and other posted details/info. Understand the budget challenges, especially if you are going to bring along more family members.

You might check this website for Hurtigruten. This option is more "basic", but it gives you a chance to see lots and lots along this scenic coast. Have you considered this option?? Below is a visual for one of their ships while we were in port near the North Cape. See:

http://www.hurtigruten.us/norway

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 29,500 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

In Hammerfest, here is one of the older Hurtigruten coastal ship in port next to our ship.:

HammerHurtigInHarbor.jpg

This is the scenery I want but I'm not sure that I can afford. I wonder if other posters could fill me in on what the less expensive option has to offer and perhaps a comparison to Alaska? I can research the ships myself I guess on the ships' websites but 1st hand is always so much more interesting.

Hi There,

I haven't been to Norway (yet) but I've been doing a lot of research on the Norwegian Fjords lately and I've been to Alaska twice (RT Vancouver & RT Seattle). Have you been to Tracy Arm Fjord? From what I've read and the pics I've seen it sounds like Norway is like Tracy Arm fjord x 10 (or x 20??). Alaska has glaciers, snowy capped mtns in the distance, more open spaces and a lot more wildlife. Norway is greener, has mountains/fjords right up along the coast and quaint villages/towns you pass along the way (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

As far as prices/cruise lines (I've been looking at June & July)...Princess, Holland America (HAL) & Cunard have 7 day itineraries departing from Southhampton (Princess/Cunard), Dover (Princess/HAL) or Rotterdam (HAL). They are similar to the RT Alaskan cruises in that they have 1 sea day at the beginning & 1 sea day at the end and 4 ports visited. HAL & Princess mention scenic sailing time during 1 or 2 of the port days. Cunard's itinerary is vague (no port times - only says "full day" or "half day" and I haven't asked them about it). I was very surprised to find the prices about the same as Alaska and in some cases even less than Alaska (i.e. a balcony in Norway for the price of an oceanview in Alaska--not kidding!).

As I mentioned, I've only looked into June & July and the ships that go on these 7 day itineraries to Norway only are Princess' Ocean, Crown & Grand, HAL's Rotterdam & Ryndam, Cunard's Queen Mary 2, Queen Victoria & Queen Elizabeth. I was also surprised that Cunard is the same price as HAL (usually I take 1 look at Cunard's brochures and toss them out).

Hope this helps:)

Thanks Ms McDuffy! This is exactly the info I was looking for. Cunard for the price of Hal! WoW! I've never thought I could afford them! My daughter has such a restricted schedule with school and work that last night I just figured we were out of luck for this year - and maybe forever as her life gets busier! Maybe Cunard's schedule will work. Also, I agree that the scenery in Alaska is a bit far away - there is something in the large-ness of alaska that you likely couldn't appreciate if it were too close. but I would love to be close to the majesty as in Norway. Believe me we loved Alaska and wouldn't trade that trip in for anything but I would love to see the fjords. So today I will look up Cunard - just to see.

I forgot to mention that the Princess prices for these Norwegian Interlude cruises are quite a bit less than HAL & Cunard (by about a few hundred per person). I'm going to book something soon and it will probably end up being Princess just because it's more in our budget but the QM2 sure is tempting:p...I haven't ruled it out yet. It would probably be the only time we could go with them as we never do Transatlantic crossings.

Hopefully, you & your family can visit Norway some day soon.

:)

I noticed the price difference! Do you think the cruise is as beautiful? I'm thinking Cunard is too formal for us. Also we will try to do this carry-on-only (I'm pretty good at this but not with a tux). Princess is looking good. The dates on HAL don't work. Now if we can get everyone off work for the 10 days it will take. Thank you so much for all your info and thanks Terry for the breathtaking views!

I will start for a 12-day RT from Bergen to Kirkenes on Hurtigruten next sunday.

It´s much more affordable at wintertime but very expensive in summertime and I don´t have to pay a single supplement, it´s for an inside cabin just $1600.

It´s quite different to a summer trip, no long days but lots of snow, wonderful sights and beautiful northern lights.

http://www.hurtigruten.us/norway/ http://www.hurtigruten.no/Norge/

Archived