QM2's Autumn Getaway, question

CruiseAdict218

Just wondering does this cruise sell out quickly or is it possible to wait a while before booking. Never sailed with cunard which is why this question may sound silly.

Hi CruiseAdict. I just looked at cunard.com and "autumn getaway" shows as being the 5 night July RT NY Canada cruise (a/k/a the 4th of July cruise)...is that the cruise you are asking about?

Just wondering does this cruise sell out quickly or is it possible to wait a while before booking. Never sailed with cunard which is why this question may sound silly.

Not always and yes it is possible to wait although it may or may not be advisable as pricing remains very flexible. If you see a deal that you think is good, I would advise you to grab it.

CruiseAdict, I agree with Capn's advice. I took that cruise in 2008 and 2009. Having booked well in advance, the fare I paid was obviously higher than those who got a flash fare. So in 2010, I decided to try and ride the fare down...to make a long story short, the fare didn't really decline that much and the category I wanted sold out before I booked. If you have a good travel agent, I suggest you discuss your booking options (and cancellation policy) with him or her since you might not have much to lose by booking in advance. -S.

On the 9-night version of the cruise in September, the other two couples at our table had both booked within about 3 weeks of the cruise. I had lunch with another guy who booked last-minute - he had paid about $750/pp for an inside.

I booked about 45 days out and paid roughly half of the brochure rate.

On the 9-night version of the cruise in September, the other two couples at our table had both booked within about 3 weeks of the cruise. I had lunch with another guy who booked last-minute - he had paid about $750/pp for an inside.

I booked about 45 days out and paid roughly half of the brochure rate.

Thanks Underwatr, that is good to know. Seems that the "Autumn Getaway" a/k/a Fourth of July cruise carries a hefty premium. But, by contrast, the September cruise has a very interesting itinerary and yet a more moderate fare. Someday, I'll have to try an inside cabin...maybe on the short "Autumn Getaway" ;) -S.

In 2011 the September cruise is a couple of weeks later which will mean cooler temps but possibly more color. Plus an overnight in Quebec.

This is one day longer than the Sept 2010 cruise due to the Quebec overnight but otherwise the same itinerary. I'd expect balcony (B) fares to drop to the $1500-2000 range by ~July 2011 as a guess. Roughly the same as Cunard's current fare for the 5-night "Autumn" cruise in July.

Archived