Helicopter in Skagway or Ketchikan??

emsachs

Hi! We are trying to decide on our excursions.

We are already booked for Whale watching with Capt Larry in Juneau.

We definitely want to do a helicopter/land on glacier.

Was wondering, is this "better" to do while in Skagway or while in Ketchikan??

Should we do a "pilots choice" or is there a "must do".

We are with our 82 yr old parents so I don't think a dog sled would be good.

Also, how many people can go in a helicopter tour? We are in a group of 5 and we would all want to be together?

Thanks for everyones help in advance.

I did a helicopter tour a couple of years ago (can't even remember which town it was out of but I remember it was ERA) and the helicopter held four passengers as well as the pilot -- two in front and three in back. I will warn you that you have to give your weight so they can balance the helicopter, so don't be surprised at that. Also they let the person in the middle in the back rotate with someone on the way back from the glacier so they could have a turn sitting by the window, although almost the whole helicopter is a window.

Good luck, it is a fabulous sightseeing opportunity.

Margie

So, if I read your post correctly, the 5 of us will NOT be able to be on the same helicopter, right??

Please forgive me, I am new to Alaska cruising, what do you mean by "ERA". Is this a company?

Hi! We are trying to decide on our excursions.

We are already booked for Whale watching with Capt Larry in Juneau.

We definitely want to do a helicopter/land on glacier.

Was wondering, is this "better" to do while in Skagway or while in Ketchikan??

Should we do a "pilots choice" or is there a "must do".

We are with our 82 yr old parents so I don't think a dog sled would be good.

Also, how many people can go in a helicopter tour? We are in a group of 5 and we would all want to be together?

Thanks for everyones help in advance.

Have you considered doing the helicopter tour in Juneau? Capt Larry can arrange that too. We went with Coastal in Juneau and there were 5 of us but it does depend on weight. We switched seats on the "inbound" part of the flight so everyone would have a chance for the best view.

There are no glacier helicopter landings in Ketchikan. It depends on the helicopter- ERA has the largest so you may want to inquire if they will direct book you? But by all means see what Coastal can offer. The problem with 5 passengers is the possible use of middle seats. I have flown with Coastal on the small helicopters with everyone having a window which is my only way of flying. :)

Thanks for reply BQ!

Do you or anyone know website of "Coastal"? or ERA

Is there a certain glacier or glaciers that we don't want to miss?

Are we better off just doing a "pilots choice"?

Last year we took Temsco Helicopter tours in Skagway for a glacier landing and 5 of us were on one helicopter (however, 2 were teenagers). You do get weighed before the flight. I was glad that my 85 year old grandmother decided not to go. The glacier is very slippery even with the special shoes you wear. Depending on the steadiness of your parents you may want to re-think a glacier-landing as an excursion.

My next door neighbor when on a glacier walk a few years ago. She was also 85 at the time. She loved every minute of it. She is a spunky thing for her age. She bought the house next door when she was 81 and has been on 7 cruises and numerous trips to foreign distinations since that time. When I "grow up" I want to be just like her. :D

Archived