Flying into FLL, embarking at POM. - Where to hotel...Ft. Lauderdale or Miami?

pitterpattershoppe

I can't quite figure out what might be the best thing to do. We are flying into FLL March 5 (arriving about 5 p.m.) and embarking at the Port of Miami the following day. We will be using SAS shuttle service to get from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami.

Since we're arriving in Ft. Lauderdale so late in the day, should we just stay at a Ft. Lauderdale airport hotel with free shuttle service and then take SAS to the POM the next day?

Or, would it be better to go ahead and take SAS directly from FLL to a Miami hotel and take a taxi to POM the following day?

Here's the thing, there are eleven other family members who will be cruising with us. We're not all taking the same flight, etc., but some have expressed interest in staying at the same hotel as us. So, we need to be more price-conscious than we might normally be.

Which city would have the cheaper, safer hotels?

Thanks so much for your help...I greatly appreciate it.

Best Wishes,

-pitterpattershoppe

PS - In case some might be wondering why we aren't flying into MIA, it's because Southwest only flies into FLL.

It's probably easier and cheaper in the long run if you all meet at a FLL hotel and combine your shuttle services to the pier the morning of the cruise, assuming you are all flying in to FLL. Heck, we took a limo on Saturday that holds 22 people, so you could probably get that and all go together in style. http://www.southfloridatransportation.com and ask for the Escalade. It was $145 from Port Everglades to West Palm Beach airport, so I'm assuming something similar for FLL to POM.

In your situation staying in Ft. Lauderdale and shuttling to Miami might be the best option especially with a late day arrival. There are many hotel choices near the Ft. Lauderdale airport and are probably cheaper than staying in downtown Miami. Good Luck! :D

I usually don't recommend booking a hotel based on a shuttle, but I would book a 17th Street Hotel that has an airport shuttle. That way you are within walking distance to tons of dining, shopping, and attractions in Fort Lauderdale.

Thanks, everyone! I spent 5-6 hours on this board and tripadvisor.com yesterday reading everything I could that pertained to Ft. Lauderdale hotels, etc.

I think we've decided to stay at Sleep Inn and then shuttle via SAS the next day. (If someone has another hotel recommendation that beats $140 a night and has a free airport shuttle in a safe area, I'm all ears.)

I did check into an SUV limo. I was quoted $240 for a one-way trip from Ft. Lauderdale to POM. I assume you would tip a limo driver, no? So, if you figure in a tip, SAS would be cheaper.

Best Wishes,

-pitterpattershoppe

The people I talked to said the tip was in the quote, but I'm sure the driver would take extra LOL. I didn't feel at all pretentious when we rolled up to the airport in this and the 4 of us got out... LOL

DSCN6975.jpg

Holy cow! That's quite the stretch. LOL!!

Thanks for the tip info...I did think that it would be a little odd to tip a limo driver. Then again, you do have to pay on the spot, so maybe not that odd.

-pitterpattershoppe

The people I talked to said the tip was in the quote, but I'm sure the driver would take extra LOL. I didn't feel at all pretentious when we rolled up to the airport in this and the 4 of us got out... LOL

DSCN6975.jpg

Archived