Itinerary Change

RWayne

Caribbean cruise in two weeks was changed last week to reflect new ports of call. On shore itineraries were changed arbitrarily - we have $1200 in scuba trips reserved since August, timed to coincide with what we wanted (afternoon dives). Instead, the dives have all been changed to accommodate the cruise line. After three exhaustive attempts to speak to customer relations for some kind of resolution, I met with an attitude that Princess was doing me a favor by providing the boat. This is our first family cruise, and the "last hurrah" before our son leaves for college. No apology, no accommodation, no attempt to mollify us. The way we discovered the itinerary changes was due to a chance look at our internet account. "Either take it or leave it" seems to be the consensus with the people at Princess with whom we've spoken. I'd leave it, if it wasn't already paid in full. We're off to an abysmal start, and haven't even left the house yet. Thus far, the kudos I've read about the service from Princess certainly doesn't seem warranted.:mad:

Let me be the first to say how sorry I am your trip is starting like this BUT......I wish you had been reading the cruise critic boards prior to this as it is very common to have changes either before or while on the cruise. Just like you have to roll with the waves on the ship you also need to roll with the changes. I am sure if you can get beyond this you will find a great vacation awaits you..........................good luck.

I am sorry that you are disappointed - but if you have read the cruise boards for awhile - you would probably be aware that the cruise contract states that they can change any port or times in port whenever they want. Princess isn't the only line that does this - they all do. I was just reading the Celebrity board and on very $$$ European cruises, ports have been dropped and times rearranged drastically.

As far as notifying you - Princess ususally faxes the Travel Agent when times have changed. I am not sure who you booked with but you may want to contact them. Also, changes are displayed in the Princess Personalizer.

Cruising is an excellent vacation for many of us but if you require/want guarantees - you may want to look at land vacations instead.

I also believe once you get on the ship - you will be have a great time.

I was on the Star two weeks ago and our itinerary was changed. I took my whole family on this cruise because the kids wanted to see certain places. We didn't find out until we got on the ship that it had changed. Yes, we were disappointed but we had a great time and I had a vacation I'll remember forever.

Cruiselines reserve the right to change ports and times and you've got to remember when you book a cruise you might not end up where you think you are going.

Scott

This seems to be a more common occurrence recently. Itineraries are published months and even years in advance, so as conditions change there can be changes. The charitable part of me thinks that this is caused by local authorities, tight schedules, and the glut of ships that are competing to dock at the same ports on the same day. The suspicious part of me wonders if this is just an excuse to discourage people booking independent excursions.

One thing about cruising is that if you are dead set on being in a certain place at a specific time, you are destined for disappointment sooner or later. It pays to be somewhat flexible.

I definitely agree with Spongerob. In this life you have to learn to be flexible or there will be many disappointments and frustrations to put it mildly. Sorry to hear though that things were changed on you. That is one of the risks a person takes when they book excursions ahead of time. I am always a bit leary to do that for this very reason. But the islands you do visit will be a wonderful experience also and I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised if you just steer a new course so to speak and rearrange the best you can. Don't let this ruin your vacation. Make the most of it.

Caribbean cruise in two weeks was changed last week to reflect new ports of call. The way we discovered the itinerary changes was due to a chance look at our internet account.

You need to take serious issue with your TA.

Our Grand Princess itinerary was recently changed. Princess sent an "EMERGENCY NOTIFICATION" fax detailing the changes to our TA within a day or two after the decision to change was made.

I'd wager your TA got one for your cruise as well.

We took the Barcelona to Venice cruise in May of 2003.

Istanbul and Ephesus were the ports we really wanted to see most of all.

Due to the war, we received advanced notification (about 2 weeks before we departed) that we would not be stopping at the Turkish ports.

We were so disappointed, but vowed to have a good time anyway and make future arrangements to see Turkey.

Well...much to our great surprise..when we boarded and got to our cabin there was a notification on our bed that the ports had been reinstated!

We were the first cruise ship to hit Turkey since 9/11.

So, my advice is the same as everyone elses..you have to be able to go with the flow....but sometimes things can change for the positive!

Archived