Atlantis or RSVP

Oslo Dutch

With a QE2 Norwegian fjords cruise booked for May 28th, I am alredy looking into next year and seen Atlantis/RSVP schedules on line.

Which one do you prefer? Atlantis of RSVP. Do they cater for different crowds? Or are they more or less the same but just different ships.

Right now i'll be going by myself. Can you give me your experiences about roomsharing? I did it once on Oriana in 1999 which was not terribly succesfull (I can send you the gross details by email...:-))

Can you share you experiences about travelling on your own? What was it like?

Is it worth considering B2B or is it just too long (ThuleX)

And last I have seen pics of a dancing crowd on deck at 10 am. I think I would have dropped dead hours beforehand, so were these people saliing on Crystal cruise lines instead?

I would love to hear about your experiences. And actually hope to be convinced to try it out :-)))

Reint

I have been considering a gay cruise for a while now but CANNOT get past the idea that its nothing more than a "floating bath house"! Can someone please tell me this isnt the case? I have been on nothing but straight cruises and though i have had fun, is an all gay cruise better?

Yes, it is worth it

Meeting different gay people, entertainment which is gay friendly (gay comedians), not feeling out of place on the dance floor

It is not a bathhouse:) :mad: :p

Yes sex is available is there , if you really go looking for it,

But you could spend the whole cruise and never find it - if you wished:eek: :cool:

Also, there is a different groups

who attend some of the larger cruises (2000 people) (more a party )vs some of the smaller intimate cruises like RSVP Caribbean and Prague & Budapest, Greece

My partner and I have been on several RSVP cruises and the recent Atlantis Caribbean cruise. The Atlantis was much more dancing and a somewhat younger crowd. But in many ways they are similar. If you enjoy a bit of dressing up in nice clothes and are no longer a circuit boy, you probably would enjoy RSVP more. But we found Atlantis to be lots of fun even though we don't do the party all night.

One reason we liked RSVP better is that we find the food and ambiance aboard HAL ships nicer than RCCL. A different ship and Atlantis might have come out on top.

We've been on 9 RSVP cruises between 1993 and 2001 - mostly the Caribbean (Eastern and Western), once in Alaska and once in Greece. We enjoyed them all very much - the first being the best (our frist cruise also).

The atmosphere is not a bathhouse although I don't doubt you could find it if you were looking for it (the steamroom tends to get a lot use ;-). There is no public nudity - RSVP keeps tabs on that. We're not party people but enjoyed the tea dances, pool games, dancing under the stars, bingo, game shows, etc. There were some inconsiderate boobs as you'd find anywhere but for the most part, people were very nice and well behaved.

We've not been on Atlantis but from what I hear from friends who have been, they seem to cater more to the circuit party, buff body boy types than RSVP. If you look at the ads from Atlantis, you don't see women and all the guys are buff and shirtless. I've had very good reports of their product but it just doesn't seem to be us.

I would suggest that if you do book either RSVP or Atlantis, pay close attention to where your stateroom is in relation to where they have their parties (your TA or Atlantis/RSVP should be able to tell you where they set up their outside disco). Since the music will be LOUD - even if outdoors - it will carry into the halls and staterooms anywhere near the music will hear it. On the Maasdam, we were in veranda cabin 180 which is one deck down and more towards admidships and we still heard the music from the pool area aft when people came in/out. You also want to stay away from public bathrooms near where the parties are held as people will be in and out of them at all hours. This all assumes you want a quiet stateroom!

We haven't booked RSVP in 3 years or so because they don't have any itinearies that appeal to us. We have met many people and kept in touch with some and enjoyed all our trips with them. The staff on board is excellent and always available and helpful. We sailed with Pied Piper twice and had one great and one not so great experience. I think we're more into the smaller groups than full ship charters at this point in our lives but that may change.

If you're outgoing and like to travel alone, you'll have a great time. Lots of people travel with friends also.

Enjoy

Thanks for all your input. I appreciate it!!

Point taken about stateroom location. I think I will take the cheapest inside anyway as I will hardly stay in my cabin. But don't really know where they are going to put me up as far as cabin share.

Did you hear stories about people who shared cabins? Were they good or bad?

I am also trying to find a good reliable TA who can book and charge this in US Dollars and not the over expensive Euro rate which for example the Atlantis London office charges.

If you have a recomendation please email me at reintvandijk@hotmail.com

Thank again

Reint

With a QE2 Norwegian fjords cruise booked for May 28th, I am alredy looking into next year and seen Atlantis/RSVP schedules on line.

Which one do you prefer? Atlantis of RSVP. Do they cater for different crowds? Or are they more or less the same but just different ships.

Right now i'll be going by myself. Can you give me your experiences about roomsharing? I did it once on Oriana in 1999 which was not terribly succesfull (I can send you the gross details by email...:-))

Can you share you experiences about travelling on your own? What was it like?

Is it worth considering B2B or is it just too long (ThuleX)

And last I have seen pics of a dancing crowd on deck at 10 am. I think I would have dropped dead hours beforehand, so were these people saliing on Crystal cruise lines instead?

I would love to hear about your experiences. And actually hope to be convinced to try it out :-)))

Reint

OsloDutch - go for Atlantis. It's a real blast. I just checked your Gaydar profile. Hey, you would love it!

OsloDutch - go for Atlantis. It's a real blast. I just checked your Gaydar profile. Hey, you would love it!

thank you Philip !!:-))) Do I look like a party boy??? :-) Ask Ernie, we were on the QE2 together !!!

I am waiting for the Atlantis 2006 to come out with a European sailing. Bearing in mind the health of my father I don't want to plan a trip to far away.

When will they be released. RSVP doesn't have a proper European cruise.

Reint

Ok, being up front, I've never sailed RSVP and only speaking from the Atlantis experience...

Atlantis is what you make of it. I've done four cruises in the past two years with with them. The first one I went on, on NCL Dawn, was a party cruise more than anything else. It was designed to be that way. All Caribbean cruises are meant to cater to the circuit crowd, although you most certainly will find older people on board, the average age is very young, upper 20s. I've done two Caribbean cruises and will not sail with them again on one because of the high drama levels the younger crowd projects while on board! I'm 23 so that should tell you something if I'm saying that! :)

Now Atlantis for cruises outside of Mexico and the Caribbean has been fantastic. Remarkable combination of cruising with parties and elegance of ships chosen. I was on the Celebrity Millennium for my last gay cruise and it was incredible! It was also the Olympics cruise that went through the Greek Isles and stopped in Mykonos, Greece. The average age on board was about upper 30's, much less drama, very friendly, half couples and half singles. It was a blast and I enjoyed it very much, it redeemed itself from the Caribbean cruise in January 2004, which stunk because they wouldn't corral the drama queens!

The parties are the same on just about every sailing: White Party, it's their staple! Mardi Gras, another staple with elaborate costumes warn by almost everyone! Island Fever deck party, just wear your swim trunks, you'll be fine. Dog-Tag T-Dance, get to know people and also show your availability for fun and frolicking, generally military themed but not strictly observed unless you are a real partier (I've got my fatigue pants). Disco T-Dance, by this time most are just wearing swim trunks, some get elaborate with a pair of lightweight tye-dyed pants. As you see there are parties galore, one per night that goes very late! It's a blast if you want to be partying! :D

If you don't want to be partying the night away, my recommendation is do not stay the deck or two decks down from the dance floor, you will NOT get any sleep until that party is over. The subwoofers they bring on vibrate the heck out of the rooms beneath them!! :cool:

~Jake

Archived