Concierge offerings drink/food

pandi77

We were on the Mariner week before last in a GS. Wonderful Cruise, Wonderful Suite.

Breakfast - With the "gold card", we were able to use Chops for breakfast in the morning. They actually prepared some hot breakfast items - fried or poached eggs, bacon or ham, toast, bagles - along with the continental items. Also, fresh squeezed orange juice versus the awful orange flavored water that they were trying to pass off as orange juice in the windjammer. So, we were able to bypass the crowd in the Windjammer for the most part.

On the Concierge Lounge, the only time kids were not allowed was 6:00 to 9:00 when alcohol was being served. We used the lounge every night at 10:00 to get our 8 year old daughter hot tea before bed. I honestly could not stand the 5th floor promenade deck crowds around the coffee area - they would literally push her out of the way when she was trying to get a tea bag! We also would get her a snack from the lounge during the day.

Other perks that we loved - ice show tickets in advance, reserved seats at the pool area, priority debarkation, Luca, Joseph and David!!!.

We were very disappointed with the wine choices during the first half of the cruise. For some reason, the only wines that were available the first part of the cruise were mainly US wines. Half way through, they brought out a better wine list with wines from Italy and France. So, for the beginning of the cruise, instead of buying a bottle of wine with dinner like we normally do, we had a glass before dinner and a glass after dinner in the CL lounge.

We are the highest level with Carvinal, and just about there with Princess.

For the "platinum", diamond, and frequent cruiser levels with other cruises, we really thought RCCL ranked very high on their level of service for suite and loyal customers. It's been many years since we cruised with RCCL (late 90's), so we were very pleased with "most" of the cruise, and would love to book a RCCL suite again.

Patti

P.S. They had "sweets" every night. Chocolate covered strawberries, cookies, and other light desserts. I was stuck on the strawberries!!

Yes, the GS and above gratuities (room) are more than JS and below.

Actually, we have always stayed in a JS, and the recommended gratuity are the same as for all other suites. The 'cut off' is below JS, which is, I imagine, why they continue to call it a suite. I'm guessing it's because the bigger room equates to more for the steward to care for.

It's neither here nor there for us, because we've always had great service that prompted us to give over the minimum.

But this tip schedule *does* help contribute to the confusion, IMO.

Actually, we have always stayed in a JS, and the recommended gratuity are the same as for all other suites. The 'cut off' is below JS, which is, I imagine, why they continue to call it a suite. I'm guessing it's because the bigger room equates to more for the steward to care for.

It's neither here nor there for us, because we've always had great service that prompted us to give over the minimum.

We have sailed in both JS's and a GS and we have NEVER had to pay the higher gratuities when staying in a JS. I don't know if this policy has changed in the last two years, but I haven't heard that the JS has to pay the higher priced tips.

Sorry, but you are mistaken and if you were to prepay your gratuities or have them added to your onboard account, you would find that RCI charges you the same rate as the other regular staterooms and not the higher rate suggested for suites. About the only advantage to being in a junior suite, besides the larger space and the bathtub and perhaps a walk-in closet, is the double points you will get from Crown and Anchor. A junior suite will not entitle you to access the concierge lounge or to sit in the sections of the theater and by the pool that are reserved for suite guests. The tip schedule does not help contribute to the confusion, but posts which incorrectly state that the junior suite tip levels are the same as those for full suites certainly can.

Sorry this is wrong info. Just off the Oasis in a JR. Suite and gratuities were NOT for a suite. Standard room rate applies.

We were on the Mariner week before last in a GS. Wonderful Cruise, Wonderful Suite.

Breakfast - With the "gold card", we were able to use Chops for breakfast in the morning. They actually prepared some hot breakfast items - fried or poached eggs, bacon or ham, toast, bagles - along with the continental items. Also, fresh squeezed orange juice versus the awful orange flavored water that they were trying to pass off as orange juice in the windjammer. So, we were able to bypass the crowd in the Windjammer for the most part.

On the Concierge Lounge, the only time kids were not allowed was 6:00 to 9:00 when alcohol was being served. We used the lounge every night at 10:00 to get our 8 year old daughter hot tea before bed. I honestly could not stand the 5th floor promenade deck crowds around the coffee area - they would literally push her out of the way when she was trying to get a tea bag! We also would get her a snack from the lounge during the day.

Other perks that we loved - ice show tickets in advance, reserved seats at the pool area, priority debarkation, Luca, Joseph and David!!!.

We were very disappointed with the wine choices during the first half of the cruise. For some reason, the only wines that were available the first part of the cruise were mainly US wines. Half way through, they brought out a better wine list with wines from Italy and France. So, for the beginning of the cruise, instead of buying a bottle of wine with dinner like we normally do, we had a glass before dinner and a glass after dinner in the CL lounge.

We are the highest level with Carvinal, and just about there with Princess.

For the "platinum", diamond, and frequent cruiser levels with other cruises, we really thought RCCL ranked very high on their level of service for suite and loyal customers. It's been many years since we cruised with RCCL (late 90's), so we were very pleased with "most" of the cruise, and would love to book a RCCL suite again.

Patti

P.S. They had "sweets" every night. Chocolate covered strawberries, cookies, and other light desserts. I was stuck on the strawberries!!

Patti.......I'm glad that you brought up the fact that on The Radiance Class and higher, those that have "Suite" cards, do have a special place for breakfast.

Sometimes we would grab a quick plate from the WJ, and then proceed, either to Chops or Portofino's, depending on the ship, where there would be berries, and juices, and special yogurts.......and, yes, they were bringing us special egg dishes, omelets, etc.

A very nice touch, with tablecloths and silverware, and glasses.

Same space for lunch.

A nice touch in addition to the Concierge lounge.;)

Rick

I have never seen "dessert" in the CL.

There is often cheese, and some fruit. To some, that can be dessert.

:)

They usually have chocolate covered strawberries -that's fruit but it's YUMMY fruit. I love 'em. Actually I would be happy with a few little chicken wings and the strawberries. Who needs dinner? :D

No, you are not permitted to take drinks out as a rule but YMMV depending on the concierge.
100% not true, we did this all the time. We usually order a Brandy for a nite cap later in the evening and he gave is at least a double.

Archived