Passport for Austistic Son

lauraleigh9mm

So we got our son's passport app returned saying he needs to fill it out and sign it himself. He is 16 but profoundly autistic. He can not read or write. The gal who accepted our application noted that on the application, but they still sent it back to us. When I called they said to take my son back there and then just put my hand over his and "sign" for him. So they want me to lie to Federal Government. Then I find out that the passport people aren't really the passport people. It is a call center, like calling Directv or something. Does anyone have any experience in this? I can't hink he is the first human that can not sign his passport application.

So we got our son's passport app returned saying he needs to fill it out and sign it himself. He is 16 but profoundly autistic. He can not read or write. The gal who accepted our application noted that on the application, but they still sent it back to us. When I called they said to take my son back there and then just put my hand over his and "sign" for him. So they want me to lie to Federal Government. Then I find out that the passport people aren't really the passport people. It is a call center, like calling Directv or something. Does anyone have any experience in this? I can't hink he is the first human that can not sign his passport application.

Here is the government website that gives you the instructions about this:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_830.html

It appears that you cannot apply by mail, but instead have to apply in person (This is his first passport, he is 16), AND since he is disabled and cannot sign, you have to sign for him and present ID. So no, you don't "lie to the federal government", but you DO sign for your disabled son..

but you have to do this in person.

Hi,

I would get a Note from the Doctor stating that your Son has a Disability and that is is unable to sign the Application himself. Make a Copy of it for yourself and send in the original. Fill out the Paperwork for the Passport and sign it yourself in front of the Clerk at the Post Office. Be sue that you show him the Letter from the Doctor also. Let me know if it helped. Good Luck and happy cruising!

It appears that the reason for returning your son's aplication was incorrect or may not have have followed their own rules.

•An assistant to a disable applicant who witnesses the signature or signs on the disabled applicant's behalf must present a photocopy of his or her ID

If your ID copy was not included, send that in. If it was included, send back the application with another cover page explaining your son is disabled and cannot sign his name. Double check that your signature for him took the correct form. Print his name, sign your name, print Disabled Assistant next to your signature.

It appears that the reason for returning your son's aplication was incorrect or may not have have followed their own rules.

If your ID copy was not included, send that in. If it was included, send back the application with another cover page explaining your son is disabled and cannot sign his name. Double check that your signature for him took the correct form. Print his name, sign your name, print Disabled Assistant next to your signature.

My husband and I were both there, both signed for him, and sent in copies of our photo IDs. The lady at the office noted that he was handicapped and unable to sign. But still we got it sent back. We would have gladly gotten a letter from our Doctor if we knew we had needed one in advance. But it does not say that anywhere.

Here is the government website that gives you the instructions about this:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_830.html

It appears that you cannot apply by mail, but instead have to apply in person (This is his first passport, he is 16), AND since he is disabled and cannot sign, you have to sign for him and present ID. So no, you don't "lie to the federal government", but you DO sign for your disabled son..

but you have to do this in person.

We did all that, but they still sent it back, both myself and my husband signed for him, as his guardians.

We did all that, but they still sent it back, both myself and my husband signed for him, as his guardians.

Where did you go to apply? Courthouse? Post office? There are several places where you can apply, and it sounds like wherever you went, they don't know their own rules. You could print out the rules, highlight those pertinent to your situation, and return everything with the rules highlighted. It could be simply that they missed that important piece of information.

Where did you go to apply? Courthouse? Post office? There are several places where you can apply, and it sounds like wherever you went, they don't know their own rules. You could print out the rules, highlight those pertinent to your situation, and return everything with the rules highlighted. It could be simply that they missed that important piece of information.

I did call where the passport was accepted (City office) and she was able to call the TRUE passport office, and they gave her two options, the Doctors note, and to do the whole thing over again, which we can't since they kept his Birth Certificate, which I only have one copy, which I do not live in that state anymore. The whole thing is ridiculous.

Have you and/or your husband been legally appointed as your son's guardian(s)? If so, sending along the court order appointing you may help.

It sounds to me as if whoever processed the application (not at City Hall, at State Dept) did not read the part about your son being disabled. As a 16 YO, you are his parents and guardians whether or not he is disabled. Being disabled is another level that they apparently overlooked. Call your congress member's office, ask for constituent services and explain what has happened. If the entire application was returned, it is likely the the BC will be in the mail in the next day or two. Tell your congressperson that you would like their assistance in getting the application re-submitted without having to pay for an entirely new application, particularly since it sounds if you had it done correctly the first time. AFAIK, the disabled statement does not have to come from a doctor; you can make that declaration on his behalf as his parent.

I did call where the passport was accepted (City office) and she was able to call the TRUE passport office, and they gave her two options, the Doctors note, and to do the whole thing over again, which we can't since they kept his Birth Certificate, which I only have one copy, which I do not live in that state anymore. The whole thing is ridiculous.

You can get another birth certificate rather easily. Some states have all those offices on line; in any event, you just call the courthouse of the county where your son was born, and after paying a fee (which sometimes can be handled over the phone) you can get another birth certificate.

I have two disabled kids, and got both of them passports when they were 18 & 19 yo respectively in 2010. We are not their guardians, and my oldest has Down syndrome and cannot write. We had no problems and went to our local post office. We just had to give our passports as ID (we already had them), sign that we could verify who they were and gave the birth certificates, etc. that were required. We got the new passports back within 2 weeks. My son who cannot sign just made his mark (series of vertical lines) on both the application and the actual passport. It sounds to me that whoever put the application together did not do it right. I agree with others that say you need to contact your congressmen and/or senator to enlist their help. Good luck!

We contacted our congressman, and very suprisingly got a call back from the office girl. They called the passport office, and we got a call from the passport agency within an hour or so. Since Mason is autistic, he did not "look" handicapped in his picture. Really. They also sent us the wrong letter, not to redo the entire passport, but just get a note from our doctor. This has been entirely frustrating, but hopefully, it will be done on Monday. I hate that I know this entire could have been solved with a simple phone call, but since you can't call them, I Have to go through all this.

So here is a little more irony: I had emailed the passport website saying I needed help, and got and email, saying his passport was "in process"

Archived