Fly Aweigh Program arriving 1 hour before boarding closes

Spudder

Carnival Fly Aweigh Program quoted us a price for a forced overnight in Miami, which included: return air, hotel, and transfer to the port. The price they quoted us was $300 better than we could do on our own.

The flights have now shown up on our account and we are arriving the day of the cruise at 1:27pm in Miami and boarding closes at 2:30pm, for a 4:00 sailing. The tickets have not been issued yet and when our TA calls, Carnival states they are "working on it". It has been a week and still no changes. Carnival also stated they are ensuring the day before arrangments are being made and wanted to ensure they had some flights booked.

I know I am going to get flamed for using the Fly-Aweigh Program but it was saving alot of money, and they quoted us an overnight.

Has anyone had their flights changed before they were ticketed? Anyone have issues arriving that close to embarktion?

Thanks in advance....

We did this in 2007 and I swore I would NEVER do airfare or transports with a cruise line ever. We arrived in time 11:00 so that was not a problem. They did not call our number for the bus for 3 1/2 hours. We did not get on the ship until 2:30! Due to the long wait, when it was time to get on the ship, we were more than ready. We were rushed and more than ready that we left behind our camera bag in the airport with 2 digital cameras in it. Of course there were never found. I vowed then, never to do it again.

• 1 year later...

First time cruisers leaving in a few weeks (Liberty out of Miami). Ironically signed up for Fly aweigh for piece of mind but now anything but--Just got our flight numbbers-our flight scheduled to arrive in Ft. Lauderdale at 1:56 for a boarding that closes at 2:30 and a ship that leaves at 4pm. We are also using Carnival transfers. I keep calling Carnival for reassurance since it does not seem to by physically possible to go from a seat on the airplane in Fort Lauderdale to the ship in 35 minutes and Carnivals Rose Marie told me to make sure I have trip insurance!!! Not exactly confidence building especially with all the carnival (Costa) ship issues lately. This may be our first and last cruise, if we make on the ship that is....:(

Any reassurance that others with similiar booking have made the ship would be appreciated..:(

I agree with PP, you need to keep calling the air department for Carnival - speak to a supervisor or higher position worker & make your concerns heard. That is unacceptable. We have used the fly aweigh program before three times and though we never had any real issues, we have stopped due to the airlines they choose and the many stops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wowsa! I would typically have been on the ship, had a couple of Funship Specials, eaten lunch, & be touring the ship by the time your plane lands.:eek: I would pursue this with Carnival as far up the chain as you can. That's crazy, and leaves NO room for any sort of delay.

While the advice to keep calling Carnival and pushing them is good, sounds like the OP did this through a TA and it's up to the TA to do the contacting/pushing.

That said, the sched is a bit too close to the edge for me. However, if there are delays in the flight Carnival will hold the ship for you.

We complained about the times and we have a GREAT TA, she had Carnival fly us in the day before, overnight us pre-cruise, and then overnight post cruise, and then fly home the next morning. It turned into a 9 days vacation with two overnights and flights.

Like I said we have a very good TA and she stayed on Carnival until they finally realized what they were doing to us...

Good luck....

That said, the sched is a bit too close to the edge for me. However, if there are delays in the flight Carnival will hold the ship for you.

There have been posts lately that this is not the case, if you miss the ship because of flight issues, too bad. I would not count on them holding up the ship for a few people with flight problems, even if you booked with Carnival.

I've never booked cruiseline air (It's never been cheaper than I can do)

I do use transers though. I still like the transfers.

However, arriving that late reminds me of my first cruise with mum - we must have arrived in the afternoon, right on the bus, right to the port, very very rushed feeling.... one of the LAST people to board...

we just got into our room, and they announced Muster...we were completely overwhelmed and disoriented and rushed completely...

Not a great experience... at least 1 of us was in tears (of pure frustration) add in the forced wearing of the SMELLY life vests (this is back in 1999) and at least 1 of us is claustrophobic, the other ashtmatic.... UGH

Not a great way to start the cruise. We still rarely fly in a day early especially flying from Miami or Ft Lauderdale (just something we are okay with) BUT we try to get on the first flight out for the day (typically around 6 am, 3 hour flight time puts us in MIA at 9 am...)

First time cruisers leaving in a few weeks (Liberty out of Miami). Ironically signed up for Fly aweigh for piece of mind but now anything but--Just got our flight numbbers-our flight scheduled to arrive in Ft. Lauderdale at 1:56 for a boarding that closes at 2:30 and a ship that leaves at 4pm. We are also using Carnival transfers. I keep calling Carnival for reassurance since it does not seem to by physically possible to go from a seat on the airplane in Fort Lauderdale to the ship in 35 minutes and Carnivals Rose Marie told me to make sure I have trip insurance!!! Not exactly confidence building especially with all the carnival (Costa) ship issues lately. This may be our first and last cruise, if we make on the ship that is....:(

Any reassurance that others with similiar booking have made the ship would be appreciated..:(

Not sure what this has to do with Costa, but I would agree with you 100% that you are not going to make it to the ship by 2:30. This being said, they will know that you are on the way and I would think would let you on as long as you made it by close to four.

Personally, if I were in your shoes I would get on the phone with Carnival NOW. Somebody with 1/2 a brain there should see the flight times and realize that the flight time simply does not work. Being that it is their program, they should fix it. Demand to speak to a supervisor if necessary. Don't just take what you get from the 1st person that answers the phone.

Please don't let this experience turn you off of cruising before you even get on the ship - that's overkill isn't it?

For those that asked carnival booked our flights not a travel agency. I was on the phone with them and delta two hours yesterday. What I learned is that carnival books seats on various flights including one that arrives 2 hours earlier into Miami. They are so bent on using their blocks they will not move us to the earlier flight. They even told me to call delta directly but I am not sure why because when I did and when I got to the delta person who manages all their groups, janessa, all she did was to call her contact at carnival and wait on hold 30 minutes with me on the other line waiting to be told that yes we will not make it to the port before 3pm. Apparently they do hold the ship and boarding for passengers like us. The things that bothers me are first, that there are lots of seats on the Miami flight that arrives two hours earlier, but no more in carnivals block, they could solve this problem that they created if they wanted too, Carnival does not want to. Despite never having cruised before we have done many all inclusive vacations before. So far I have a bad taste in my mouth. I Did fly aweigh because I thought it would offer piece of mind. No such luck. Regarding relevance of costa, carnival owns costa and has demonstrated a signicant lack of care for the welfare of their passenger. I live in Minneapolis where the two American who are still missing are from. Perhaps we are seeing more news coverage for that reason, but ultimately they are accountable for the passengers on all their lines. so far I am disappointed. It several weeks before my cruise, they booked a flight that is too late and while there are solutions available they are choosing to allow us to miss the ship.

I have spoken with rose Marie and angel at carnival. Angel was really helpful. Rose Marie told me to make sure I had trip insurance. No carnival supervisors will get on the phone. Janesse at delta went the extra mile too. Everyone at carnival agrees this makes no sense. Yet the powers that be are choosing to do nothing to fix it. If anyone knows the names of a supervisor I would be greatful to have it.

Guess I don't understand how it is cheaper to let someone else book airfare. Always have found it cheaper to book directly with airlines!

Never do I let someone else control when I'm flying. Too many BAD things can happen.

Sorry OP didn't read up on this board , as there are posts about that exact thing happening. A vast majority of times Carnival Fly-Away customers complain about it.

My wife thinks I'm crazy spending so much time researching things, but in fairness to me it usually pays off in the long run. LOL

For those that asked carnival booked our flights not a travel agency. I was on the phone with them and delta two hours yesterday. What I learned is that carnival books seats on various flights including one that arrives 2 hours earlier into Miami. They are so bent on using their blocks they will not move us to the earlier flight. They even told me to call delta directly but I am not sure why because when I did and when I got to the delta person who manages all their groups, janessa, all she did was to call her contact at carnival and wait on hold 30 minutes with me on the other line waiting to be told that yes we will not make it to the port before 3pm. Apparently they do hold the ship and boarding for passengers like us. The things that bothers me are first, that there are lots of seats on the Miami flight that arrives two hours earlier, but no more in carnivals block, they could solve this problem that they created if they wanted too, Carnival does not want to. Despite never having cruised before we have done many all inclusive vacations before. So far I have a bad taste in my mouth. I Did fly aweigh because I thought it would offer piece of mind. No such luck. Regarding relevance of costa, carnival owns costa and has demonstrated a signicant lack of care for the welfare of their passenger. I live in Minneapolis where the two American who are still missing are from. Perhaps we are seeing more news coverage for that reason, but ultimately they are accountable for the passengers on all their lines. so far I am disappointed. It several weeks before my cruise, they booked a flight that is too late and while there are solutions available they are choosing to allow us to miss the ship.

Understanding your frustration and agree 1,000,000,000%, however, your 'welfare' as you stated above, is not at stake. When calling Carnival, you can seven different people and seven different answers. Do not give up and you need to be persistent with the people at Carnival.

The other thing to remember, is you are asking advice from a gazillion people here. Unless someone has ACTUALLY booked their air through Carnival, and this EXACT scenario occurred, nobody can say for SURE what Carnival will or will not do.

That being said, I would absolutely be stressing about this. And this is the reason I do not ever use the air through the cruiseline ... done it once, stressed, and said never again.

It is unfortunate also that you didn't do some better research before making the decision to book the air through Carnival. I would either be persistent in getting them to change you flight, or find out what it would take to cancel the air through Carnival and book it on your own with piece of mind. I don't know if you can do either, but I would certainly ask!

Good luck.

Guess I don't understand how it is cheaper to let someone else book airfare. Always have found it cheaper to book directly with airlines!

Sometimes it IS cheaper. Especially from Canada. And the rates to fly from Minneapolis lately are crazy.

No one would expect such problems by going with cruise provided airfare. Why does Carnival mess this up so bad, so often? The little button on the booking site seems so helpful. It's terrible what Carnival puts people through.

Peg

Apparently they do hold the ship and boarding for passengers like us.

while there are solutions available they are choosing to allow us to miss the ship.

:confused:

It sounds like they are guaranteeing the ship will wait for Fly Aweigh passengers. So what's the problem?

There have been posts lately that this is not the case, if you miss the ship because of flight issues, too bad. I would not count on them holding up the ship for a few people with flight problems, even if you booked with Carnival.

Along these lines - the current "Fly Aweigh" page on the website now indicates "Carnival's Fly Aweigh® program arranges convenient flights to and from all our ports of embarkation. Our trained in-house team monitors flight operations for any delays or interruptions to ensure the coordination of your arrival to the ship. Should you experience a flight problem or delay, Carnival will be responsible for getting you to your next destination by securing flights, hotels and meals, if applicable, at no cost to you." ken

Peg

Agree 100 p/c. Have no idea why Carnival or airlines for that matter make it so difficult on people.

Have read way too many posts about the HORROR stories about it. I would be stressed also that's why I always fly in the day B/4. More relaxed that way.

There are no guarantees they will wait carnivals own reps think we will miss ship. I put our odds at 50 50. On top of which they will only catch you up to the next non us port. For us that is day 5 of cruise. By the way on hold, right now, again....,

There are no guarantees they will wait carnivals own reps think we will miss ship. I put our odds at 50 50. On top of which they will only catch you up to the next non us port. For us that is day 5 of cruise. By the way on hold, right now, again....,

Well, it's not like boarding a plane...if you get to the dock and the boat is still there, they WILL let you on. And you will likely have a number of other passengers racing with you, so that makes it even more likely the cheapskates at Carnival will wait a few minutes rather than have to pay to fly y'all to the first port of call and put you up.

Good luck!

Archived