Restaurants on NCL Spirit

Hi all,

Wife and I are about to take our first NCL cruise.

She wants to know your rankings for the restaurants on the NCL Spirit considering quality and value. Keeping in mind the fact we don't have unlimited funds (but enough to pay for, we'll say two speciality meals) what would be your ideal dinner schedule?

Thanks in advance!

Hi all,

Wife and I are about to take our first NCL cruise.

She wants to know your rankings for the restaurants on the NCL Spirit considering quality and value. Keeping in mind the fact we don't have unlimited funds (but enough to pay for, we'll say two speciality meals) what would be your ideal dinner schedule?

Thanks in advance!

We were on the Spirit recently and had a wonderful dinner in Cagney's and the teppenyaki restaurant. The dinner in Cagney's was invisibly attentive. Plates were whisked away so subtly. And it was a delicous meal.

The dinner at the teppanyaki restaurant was very fun. I shot an edamame into the slipped-off shoe of the diner next to me. What a gracious lady. She extracted the offender and we continued with a very entertaining meal. :)

Taste of India!

20 course family style Indian dinner. It was held in the back of Shoguns, tables of 8 mainly I think. It was $15 I think and only held one night.

Great evening of food and conversation.

We were on the Spirit in December and ate at all of the speciality restaurants. We had dinner at Cagney's twice and would rate Cagney's first with Le Bistro a close second. The food and service were great and well worth the upcharge. You may also want to consider the Taste of India dinner offered one night in Shoguns. Enjoy your Spirit cruise. :)

Pat

We've been on the Spirit twice and tried all but Le Bistro. Our Fav's were Cagney's and Teppanyaki, and if they still do it the Jazz Brunch. Sorry, I know that's three. Cagney's is a very good Steak house style restaurant. Teppanyaki is lots of fun, good food and if you get with a good group of people can be even better. The Jazz Brunch tops the list of the three for me. If you go try the Chateaubriand and fresh made omelets.

The other special offering was the enchanted evening. We didn't do this one, but if you are celebrating a special occasion this would probably be amazing. It was held in the art gallery, with just a very limited number of guests. Very intimate, I think. It was a bit pricey at $65 (I think) but included the wine with each course, so if you are a "food and wine-y", you might really enjoy it. Thursday night, if I recall correctly.

I also second the jazz brunch endorsement. The jazz was a little low key for me in Dec. but the food was excellent. It was held on the last sea day.

We love Le Bistro. If you are on the Feb. 13 sailing please join our roll call - we have a fun group. I'm hoping that Le Bistro will offer the Special Valentine's Dinner again this year - don't miss that one!

Another vote for Cagneys. We had a seperate room for our family party of 8; the service and food were beyond excellent. My son highly recommends the crab stuffed portobella and crab cakes, the shrimp cocktail was absolutely colossal and the brownie sunday with macadamia nut ice cream well worth the too full feeling after dinner. Yes, we are "foodies".

Now here's another one, in your view, are the specialty restaurants worth it?

On the mainland I can have a nice meal for for two for about $80+ tip (often there is wine in addition but since wine would be an equal cost at MDR I've left it off).

In your view, is Cagneys worth the additional $50 from the fare offered in the MDR?

Obviously this is very subjective but I'd like to know this forum's thoughts.

The answer to the question "is it worth it" I think depends on what is important or pleasurable for you. We usually do 1 or 2 special restaurants because we enjoy the different experiences, and the venue is usually a bit more intimate, which makes it a bit more special. The main dining rooms are fine for food, but it is a large room. We like to mix it up a bit.

Remember, the first night out, they give a discount in the specialty dining areas. Last trip we did Cagney's twice and Shogun twice.

Thanks for the tip. Is that a discount in all specialty dining or do they focus on one or two? I am assuming the only time to take advantage of this is day-of.

I've also noticed people talking about booking dinner for the Epic pre-cruise. Since I haven't figured out how to do that on ncl.com I've been asuming the Spirit is not equiped with that ability. If I'm wrong it would be nice if somebody would pipe up.

Cagney's is very good and the service that we had there was excellent, but my husband can make a mean steak on the grill cooked just the way that I like it. Would I eat there again? Yes, if friends wanted to - I would join them.

Le Bistro is my favorite because they offer things that are not readily available in our hometown and that I might not take the trouble to prepare at home. The service there is also excellent.

When service and quality are compared to similar restaurants in our area, both are a very good buy.

I am so glad someone mentioned Shogun. Although we have always enjoyed Cagneys and LeBistro on NCL, the asian restaurants have always been a favorite of ours as well. I was going to be disappointed if I wasn't good on the Spirit.

We were on the Spirit recently and had a wonderful dinner in Cagney's and the teppenyaki restaurant. The dinner in Cagney's was invisibly attentive. Plates were whisked away so subtly. And it was a delicous meal.

The dinner at the teppanyaki restaurant was very fun. I shot an edamame into the slipped-off shoe of the diner next to me. What a gracious lady. She extracted the offender and we continued with a very entertaining meal. :)

LOL.. Your posting should come with a warning above it saying "Do not read this thread just as you are taking a sip of coffee". I almost spewed.. LOL

The discount is for the first night only and applies to all specialty dining that day. No pre reservations on the Spirit. You can and should make your first night reservations as soon as you board to get the time that you want. Reservations can only be made 24 hours in advance.:D

What is worth the extra price? Who knows but to us, yes, the specialty dining rooms are worth the sur charges but I would not eat in them nightly. Food is subjective, everyone has his/her ideas, but to us number 1 on the list is Le Bistro. Our daughter and son in law love CAgneys and we actually think, for $10 the Italian dining room si very good. We will eat in Shuguns our first night as we love Asian food and love the atmosphere in Shuguns. The one I would not pay for is Teppenyakis. I think the land habachi table estaurants are better for a very similar price.

Nita

I meant to be more specific. I'm curious as to what is the discount for specialty dining on the first evening? Want to try Le Bistro. Also, does anyone have a current menu? I was reading some other posts that the menu may have changed. Can I use any of the NCL coupons also on the first evening???

Thanks!

Now here's another one, in your view, are the specialty restaurants worth it?

On the mainland I can have a nice meal for for two for about $80+ tip (often there is wine in addition but since wine would be an equal cost at MDR I've left it off).

In your view, is Cagneys worth the additional $50 from the fare offered in the MDR?

Obviously this is very subjective but I'd like to know this forum's thoughts.

I've eaten in Cagney's three times and I think it was definitely worth it. We'll eat there again next month on the Spirit

• 2 weeks later...

Archived