redeeming credit card points ??

39august

Related question:

What is the best way to maximize the bang for the buck with the VISA points. We have over 125,000 points and would be happy to book a balcony or JS by paying the difference between the upgrade and the min. available ocean view. How have those of you with experience done this and is it worth it? We'd rather get a larger $ amount applied to a cruise as opposed to $1,250. onboard credit. All suggestions are welcomed!

Eric

I tried to use points in a related way: I got my certificate for 50,000 points, becuase one of the uses is an upgrade from OV to Balcony on a 9-12 day cruise (we had booked a balcony on Enchantment). The 1st time I called, about 6 weeks back, they said sorry, but it could only be used if the pp price is less than $500 diff, this was not the case.

Recently, all OVs sold out, so thought I'd try again, since fares could not be compared. This time they said, sorry, the certificate could only be used if the TOTAL price was less than $500! I said, why use it in this manner, since the certificate is worth $500 when used in any manner. They didn't seem to get my point. As far as I'm concerned, the use of a reward for an upgrade is just a ripoff - I'm changing cards anyway, as I can do better than a 1% return.

I tried to use points in a related way: I got my certificate for 50,000 points, becuase one of the uses is an upgrade from OV to Balcony on a 9-12 day cruise (we had booked a balcony on Enchantment). The 1st time I called, about 6 weeks back, they said sorry, but it could only be used if the pp price is less than $500 diff, this was not the case.

Recently, all OVs sold out, so thought I'd try again, since fares could not be compared. This time they said, sorry, the certificate could only be used if the TOTAL price was less than $500! I said, why use it in this manner, since the certificate is worth $500 when used in any manner. They didn't seem to get my point. As far as I'm concerned, the use of a reward for an upgrade is just a ripoff - I'm changing cards anyway, as I can do better than a 1% return.

The only effective way to use your points is to apply it towards a free cruise. This takes 125,000 points and is worth $2500. 2 cents on the dollar - more if you use the card on board and get double points. We just sailed Oasis of the Seas and were able to do a B2B because the second cruise was essentially FREE. We had to pay a small differential for a balcony instead of an outside cabin.

For 50,000 points you can take a 3-4 night free Caribbean cruise, Oceanview cabin, up to $1,000 price.

I think that this is the best value of all.

When you call to redeem your points for OBC you will get a confirmation # and they will apply it to your cruise. When you get the certificate you send it to the cruise line. If you do not receive the certificate in time to send it you can bring it with you. When you set up your ship account you will see the credit.

Just to clarify what you have said that I have put in bold print. If you request certificates and receive them within 30 days of departure you can call the RCI Coupon Redemption Center at 1-888-305-4626, give them the certificate numbers and then send the certificates in for verification purposes. By calling the certs numbers in they will be immediately added to your booking number. You can only do this within the 30 day window of departure.

If you send them in earlier than the 30 day window, then you take copies of the certificates with you on the cruise after you have mailed them to C&A in Wichita as proof that you have sent them in. I don't think that taking the actual certificate with you on the ship, without mailing them in to the proper address, will get them applied to your on board account once on the ship.

After re-reading this entire thread, I still have a few lingering questions. If I have a cruise already booked (but not paid for yet) can I use the 125,000 in certificates on it, or does it have to be a new booking?

If I book in high season (summer) does the certificate have a maximum $$ value, or does it apply to the OV cabin price regardless of what it lists for?

If I have multiple cruises booked, can I specify which cruise I want the certificate applied to?

Finally, can I combine the certificate with my diamond balcony perk to upgrade to a balcony cabin?

After re-reading this entire thread, I still have a few lingering questions. If I have a cruise already booked (but not paid for yet) can I use the 125,000 in certificates on it, or does it have to be a new booking?

If I book in high season (summer) does the certificate have a maximum $$ value, or does it apply to the OV cabin price regardless of what it lists for?

If I have multiple cruises booked, can I specify which cruise I want the certificate applied to?

Finally, can I combine the certificate with my diamond balcony perk to upgrade to a balcony cabin?

From the RCI Website....

125,000 Points

• 5 to 7 night Caribbean or Mexican Riviera cruise for two (minimum available oceanview stateroom).*
  • Companion fare on a 7 night Alaska cruise (minimum available oceanview stateroom).*
  • Companion fare on a 9 to 12 night Caribbean cruise (minimum available oceanview stateroom).

*Excludes Christmas and New Year's sailings and is subject to availability.

You can use the Certificate for an existing booking. If you booked through a TA, then you must send them the Certificate and have it applied by them.

You can specify whichever cruise you want to use it on. Just remember that the Certificate only has a 6 month life after it has been issued.

You can combine any C&A benefit with BofA certificates.

If you call the RCI Coupon Redemption Center at 1-888-305-4626 they will have the answers to all of your questions.

The 125,000 point coupon has a max value of $2500 when used for a free 7 night cruise in the Caribbean. Here's Royal's link to the rules:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/bofa_program_rules.pdf

However, what Patti said about calling them is important. Royal sometimes does not update their website promptly, so it's best to call to confirm the information in the internet link is still accurate.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...
Your welcome. Glad I could help.

Hi Patti , fancy seeing you here !

Does BoA or RCL show a running tally of points ?

And I have already used my card and paid off the balance it appears that my closing date is June 26th are my points applied AFTER the close are can I request some now?

George

Hi Patti , fancy seeing you here !

Does BoA or RCL show a running tally of points ?

And I have already used my card and paid off the balance it appears that my closing date is June 26th are my points applied AFTER the close are can I request some now?

George

Hi George, yes, if you check your statement on line it should show you your current balance of points. If you call the number on the back of the card, after entering in the last 4 digits of your cc number, it will tell you your points balance as well. You have to get your points total from BofA.

What I do is every month when we get our statement is to mark on the calendar how many points we earned for that month and then the total.

If you don't like the 26th of the month, you can call and change it.

Hi George, yes, if you check your statement on line it should show you your current balance of points. If you call the number on the back of the card, after entering in the last 4 digits of your cc number, it will tell you your points balance as well. You have to get your points total from BofA.

What I do is every month when we get our statement is to mark on the calendar how many points we earned for that month and then the total.

If you don't like the 26th of the month, you can call and change it.

I have checked , that is why I think the points won't show up until the the next billing cycle.

I have checked , that is why I think the points won't show up until the the next billing cycle.

I have a lot of points that are not showing until I pay the July bill but since the payment for our Nov Cruise is so close I went ahead and ordered a $500 and two $150. We did have 94,000 points but they do not have a $300 or $400 certificate just smaller ones. They said they would mail them to us and we should have them in time for the payment at the end of August. I sure hope so... don't know what to do if they don't come until after the payment. Our next cruise will not be until spring. I made sure the person on the Bank of America desk put the money for payment for the cruise and not On Board Credit.

Take care...

Irene and Miles

I have a lot of points that are not showing until I pay the July bill but since the payment for our Nov Cruise is so close I went ahead and ordered a $500 and two $150. We did have 94,000 points but they do not have a $300 or $400 certificate just smaller ones. They said they would mail them to us and we should have them in time for the payment at the end of August. I sure hope so... don't know what to do if they don't come until after the payment. Our next cruise will not be until spring. I made sure the person on the Bank of America desk put the money for payment for the cruise and not On Board Credit.

Take care...

Irene and Miles

To my knowledge, the people at Bank of America are not involved in selecting how the certificates are used. They just issue certificates in the denomination(s) you request. When you get the certificate, you fill out checkmarks on the certificate to indicate how you want it used, then send the certificate to Royal.

On the back of the certificate you are asked to check a box next to the reward you are requesting. For onboard credit it has two boxes. One for single occupancy and one for double occupancy. Does it matter? Does one give less credit than the other?

Thanks

For onboard credit it has two boxes. One for single occupancy and one for double occupancy. Does it matter? Does one give less credit than the other?

Thanks

good question , i wondered the same thing , so i just checked the double occupancy (the truth):rolleyes:

why would that matter? hmmmm:confused:

dave

On the back of the certificate you are asked to check a box next to the reward you are requesting. For onboard credit it has two boxes. One for single occupancy and one for double occupancy. Does it matter? Does one give less credit than the other?

Thanks

This selection is supposed to determine if one guest gets the entire OBC, or it is split between 2 guests. I have tried both single and double, and my experience has been that the OBC always gets split between both guests, regardless of my selection.

If the 2 guests have their accounts linked, this selection does not matter. However, if the 2 guests have separate on board accounts, then this could be important.

Not to worry though - if the OBC shows up the wrong way once you get on board, go down to Guest Relations and they will change the OBC as you desire.

This selection is supposed to determine if one guest gets the entire OBC, or it is split between 2 guests. I have tried both single and double, and my experience has been that the OBC always gets split between both guests, regardless of my selection.

If the 2 guests have their accounts linked, this selection does not matter. However, if the 2 guests have separate on board accounts, then this could be important.

Not to worry though - if the OBC shows up the wrong way once you get on board, go down to Guest Relations and they will change the OBC as you desire.

Thanks!

To my knowledge, the people at Bank of America are not involved in selecting how the certificates are used. They just issue certificates in the denomination(s) you request. When you get the certificate, you fill out checkmarks on the certificate to indicate how you want it used, then send the certificate to Royal.

Last time I used the certificates I had to give them to my TA to take off the credit for the cost of my cruise. Maybe the situation has changed??? They said since I did not book my cruise with Royal Caribbean the TA had to take care of it. We will soon see what happens.

Irene & Miles

Last time I used the certificates I had to give them to my TA to take off the credit for the cost of my cruise. Maybe the situation has changed??? They said since I did not book my cruise with Royal Caribbean the TA had to take care of it. We will soon see what happens.

Irene & Miles

It hasn't changed. :) From what the RCI Coupon Redemption Center has told me, anytime your cruise fare is adjusted, it has to go through your TA and that would include not only price reductions that you might find on the web but also BofA $$$ off a cruise.

If you were using the certificates for OBC then your TA does not have to get involved.

I just redeemed certificates for cruise discount for a cruise booked through travel agent and already got the money credited back to my credit card. I called and was told that the only time travel agent needs to get involved is when redeeming for companion fare or free cruise but not for discount, so I mailed in myself and got the credit already for a cruise that was already paid in full.

I just redeemed certificates for cruise discount for a cruise booked through travel agent and already got the money credited back to my credit card. I called and was told that the only time travel agent needs to get involved is when redeeming for companion fare or free cruise but not for discount, so I mailed in myself and got the credit already for a cruise that was already paid in full.

Thanks for the info. :) Sounds like they have definitely changed their procedure or I just got someone who wasn't quite up to date on their policies.

Archived