Radiance class GS1600 - opinions/photos?

DonnaK

What do you all think of GS1600? Is the balcony exposed to the sun or covered? Is the cabin and/or the balcony larger than side facing GS's? Is the configuration different?

I'm not a fan of aft cabins on Voyager class because of the obstruction, but I'm wondering if it is better on Radiance class ships.

Hi Donna! We have had 1600 on the Serenade twice. There are many here who will tell you they do NOT like 1600 for many different reasons. This cabin is VERY unique, either you will like it or not. ;)

Now since we have selected it twice, obviously we do enjoy it and would book it again!!! Sun on the balcony will depend upon the direction you are sailing as it is mostly covered. We did have sun there at differing times each time we had it. The cabin is in fact larger than the standard GS. You will not have the "bar area", but a bar 'cabinet' along the wall. The balcony had 2 loungers, 2 chairs and a table. It is a unique shape, but worked well. You will have a very nice, relaxing view, no obstructions...

Bruce

Thanks Bruce. I've been searching around, and we're leaning more towards with a side facing GS, or JS1100. We're four people (two teens), and we usually split up into two smaller cabins, but the 3rd/4th person rate is quite low, making a GS or JS a much better deal.

What do you all think of GS1600? Is the balcony exposed to the sun or covered? Is the cabin and/or the balcony larger than side facing GS's? Is the configuration different?

I'm not a fan of aft cabins on Voyager class because of the obstruction, but I'm wondering if it is better on Radiance class ships.

Here are photos that I borrowed from my dear friend (Jean) crittterchick from her cruise on Brilliance of the Seas GS 1600..This cabin is almost identical to 1600 on Radiance except for decor.

As Bruce said, you will either love it or hate it. It does not give you as much light as a standard GS located mid-ship because it only has the one sliding glass door. The balcony is a unusual configuration and is not as long as a standard GS. There are some false front cabinets and drawers that are not usable, so you don't get as much storage space.

It is a long walk from the Centrum area because there are no public stairs or elevators in the aft section of any Radiance class ship.

Edit: here are her photos of JS 1100 on Radiance of the Seas

Well, if I can help, would be glad to!!! ;) Tried to upload a couple photos, w/out any success.....they are from 2004, so not sure how accurate they are at this point anyway.

Honestly, we have had 1100 4 times, I think.......:D Two things you will need to consider: One is how old and how big the teens who would sleep on the 'couch bed' are. That is, these couches are NOT sofa sleepers. They 'fold out' and are NOT spacious when you have teens trying to share (same whether the JS & GS). :eek: OS will have a separating curtain as well as a true sofa bed. Two, there will be a LOT more privacy in the GS even though it is only a 'curtain' that provides the privacy. JS simply has a 'decorative' curtain between the bed and couch that does NOT pull open as I recall. ;)

PS: I would NOT try to put 4 people (two being teens) in 1600!!!

Bruce

Edit: Thanks for the photos Patti!!!

I love both 1600 and 1100, but for 4 people I would NOT do 1600. The shape is unusual (sort of like a triangle) and you have less storage than in a side GS.

Photos from 1600

3580112745_722a544480.jpg

The closet in a side GS is much bigger.

3580114603_1c795b5221.jpg

3580927928_626988b221.jpg

3580111621_63cf8a5515.jpg

Photos from 1100

4914109860_043eaca3e3.jpg

4914110442_31d73b2bd5.jpg

4914113622_427f2e4653.jpg

4914114882_1427a9d4e2.jpg

4913513355_d5c4f48270.jpg

Loved your pics from #1100 we had it on the Jewel this past Aug for the 12 night Baltics..But funny how with the beds apart makes the room look smaller..Loved that balcony sailing into/out of Stockholm !!!!:D

We had 1600 on the Serenade this past fall...we were 3 adults..the cabin it's self was fine..plenty of room...we used a roll away bed rather than the sofa..several nights my sister actually slept out on the balcony in a lounger with the body pillow...the balcony to me was on the small side..but we loved the view of the wake..and the walk didn't seem that bad...so for 1 or 2 people I would take 1600 again...more than that I don't think so...

We (wrp96, merion_mom & I) shared 1600 on the Serenade in Alaska last year. (Gosh, that looks like my back, but I don't remember taking a Hawai'ian shirt to Alaska!)

Storage space was a bit of an issue. It was my first GS, and my companions said that other GSs had more closet space. Odd shape. Awesome balcony, especially on glacier day. Incredible bathroom.

Ironically, we had originally booked JS1100 and upgraded when the GS prices came down and 1600 came available.

Follow the link in my signature to my Shutterfly page if you'd like to see more pictures, but they're pretty similar to Wrona's.

You guys are all great!!! Thanks for the info and the visuals. We are leaning towards forgetting about either of these and booking either two E3 connecting cabins (on deck 7 towards the aft - I know about the lifeboats below) or an E2 with an inside across the hall on deck 8.

(Gosh, that looks like my back, but I don't remember taking a Hawai'ian shirt to Alaska!)

Yep that was you.:p Carol had a solid colored shirt on that day (I chose the picture of you instead of her to post).

Archived