San Pedro from a San Pedran

Wineaux

Thanks, PatriciaF and Nebr.cruiser. Our cruise is on April 5 out of San Pedro. We've stayed at the Crowne Plaza before and loved it. I used PL that time and won it with my first bid. I do know that the Doubletree is full. Does Hotwire have bidding like Priceline? If so, I can't find it on the website. CP and DT are the only 3.5 stars in SP. The only other hotel on PL is the San Pedro Inn at 2.5 stars. If I use my free rebid and add another zone, do I run the risk of NOT getting the CP? The instructions on a bidding information website on free rebids is confusing.

Thanks, PatriciaF and Nebr.cruiser. Our cruise is on April 5 out of San Pedro. We've stayed at the Crowne Plaza before and loved it. I used PL that time and won it with my first bid. I do know that the Doubletree is full. Does Hotwire have bidding like Priceline? If so, I can't find it on the website. CP and DT are the only 3.5 stars in SP. The only other hotel on PL is the San Pedro Inn at 2.5 stars. If I use my free rebid and add another zone, do I run the risk of NOT getting the CP? The instructions on a bidding information website on free rebids is confusing.

You don't bid on Hotwire, but it is an opaque site. You put in your dates and the location you want to be (San Pedro) and they will show you a variety of hotels at different prices--there will be star ratings and lists of amenities, which can help narrow down which hotel. The hotel name is not given until you purchase.

If you choose a hotel that says it is 3.5 stars, for instance, you won't get one that is lower; it is possible (but rare) to get one that is higher, I think.

Like Priceline, once you have agreed to a certain hotel, there is no refund. Taxes and such are added to the price listed before you purchase, so you know the final price.

Unless something has changed, the CP and Doubletree are the only 3.5* hotels on Hotwire in San Pedro, so you will get one of those, but you won't know which one until you have bought it. So far we've gotten the CP each time, but others have gotten the Doubletree.

I use sites like Better Bidding to double check on star ratings, etc. Sometimes Hotwires hotels in a certain zone do change, so there is always a slim chance of that.

Otto Trattoria is not OPEN!! They are at the corner of 6th street and Centre. Food is delicious. My wife got the chicken and eggplant pasta special and I had the Salmon pasta in vodka sauce. We also tried the fried artichoke hearts and felt the breading was lacking in spice but YMMV. We recommend this new place for those that want a semi-formal Italian dining experience.

There is also a new Vegan restaurant call NVDA on 6th street just west of Mesa. Great folks and delicious food as well. Try the wraps!!

https://www.facebook.com/NVDAmrkt

Otto Trattoria is not OPEN!! They are at the corner of 6th street and Centre. Food is delicious. My wife got the chicken and eggplant pasta special and I had the Salmon pasta in vodka sauce. We also tried the fried artichoke hearts and felt the breading was lacking in spice but YMMV. We recommend this new place for those that want a semi-formal Italian dining experience.

There is also a new Vegan restaurant call NVDA on 6th street just west of Mesa. Great folks and delicious food as well. Try the wraps!!

https://www.facebook.com/NVDAmrkt

Otto Trattoria is NOW OPEN!!! Sorry for the typo. :(

This might be a strange question, but can you tell me if there is anyplace within walking distance of the CP that I would be able to get a manicure? I am not going to have time to get one before I leave for my cruise & my nails are in BAD shape....doesn't have to be a fancy spa...just someplace simple... thanks!

This might be a strange question, but can you tell me if there is anyplace within walking distance of the CP that I would be able to get a manicure? I am not going to have time to get one before I leave for my cruise & my nails are in BAD shape....doesn't have to be a fancy spa...just someplace simple... thanks!

There's a salon around the corner on 7th Street between Center and Mesa (in the 300 block); they take walk-ins.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/leisure-spa-san-pedro

http://www.yelp.com/biz/lanta-salon-san-pedro-2

Lanta is a better salon but you will not be able to just walk-in. You would need to make a reservation.

I booked the Crown Plaza for our cruise next March - 15 days. We have always used their park and sail package and I requested the same this time. The operator acknowledged that parking is free now but may change? I noticed on our printout of our reservation they list the park and sail but also list parking at 10.00 per day? Sunrise also has a park and sail and it says "free". Is this a nice place?

I booked the Crown Plaza for our cruise next March - 15 days. We have always used their park and sail package and I requested the same this time. The operator acknowledged that parking is free now but may change? I noticed on our printout of our reservation they list the park and sail but also list parking at 10.00 per day? Sunrise also has a park and sail and it says "free". Is this a nice place?

When I booked it for next March they said we would just have to pay for one night at $10. I hope that's all!

Marilyn

My sister and I are flying into Long Beach and would like to make a stop for some wine, soda and water before our cruise on NCL. Is it easier to have a cab driver stop somewhere on the way or close enough to have them let us off in San Pedro that we can walk to the port? My sister is old and can't walk a long way :D

Karen, we are staying at the Sunrise in April. I have read that is just ok.

I had booked reservations last Dec., but when I called to confirm, they were lost. The only place I could get that had 4 rooms is Sunrise.

Pat

Long Beach Grand Prix is April 11 to 13th. Will fill up all nearby hotels--Long Beach and San Pedro.

• 2 weeks later...

We will be arriving at LAX at 7:20 PM (International Flight) and have booked Super Shuttle to take us to the Best Western in San Pedro. Can anyone estimate a time when we might arrive at the hotel? We will have been travelling since 4:00 AM and will need to find something to eat that is close by and will still be open. I am thinking that it may be 9:00 PM or later by the time we are checked in. Doesn't have to be anything fancy.

I use sites like Better Bidding to double check on star ratings, etc.

Be VERY careful relying on websites like Better Bidding to double check star ratings, etc. Changes to a hotel's star ratings are only updated at Better Bidding as people report them. It can take months after a hotel's star rating is changed until it's "discovered" and updated at sites like Better Bidding.

The safest way to check a hotel's current star rating with regard to planning your bid on Priceline is to simply look up the hotel(s) on Priceline's retail section first. If the Crowne Plaza, for example, is rated 3.5 stars on Priceline retail, then it's also rated 3.5 stars in the bidding forum as well.

Be VERY careful relying on websites like Better Bidding to double check star ratings, etc. Changes to a hotel's star ratings are only updated at Better Bidding as people report them. It can take months after a hotel's star rating is changed until it's "discovered" and updated at sites like Better Bidding.

The safest way to check a hotel's current star rating with regard to planning your bid on Priceline is to simply look up the hotel(s) on Priceline's retail section first. If the Crowne Plaza, for example, is rated 3.5 stars on Priceline retail, then it's also rated 3.5 stars in the bidding forum as well.

That's very true--and I do both. So far, though, using Better bidding, the hotels I have gotten have always been the star level listed there. I am aware, when booking, however, that this can vary, so am prepared to accept any hotel in the area I want with that star rating.

Thanks for pointing this out--I think I assumed that most people would know this, but of course if you are new to booking through opaque sites, this might not be obvious, even though there is a disclaimer about this on Better booking and other sites.

We will be arriving at LAX at 7:20 PM (International Flight) and have booked Super Shuttle to take us to the Best Western in San Pedro. Can anyone estimate a time when we might arrive at the hotel? We will have been travelling since 4:00 AM and will need to find something to eat that is close by and will still be open. I am thinking that it may be 9:00 PM or later by the time we are checked in. Doesn't have to be anything fancy.

Check this out.

Nothing fancy, but a decent coffee shop

http://www.grinderrestaurants.com/findus1.html

Someone suggested the Grinder. It may be open at that time but it is not close by. The closest place to eat that will be open is Ono Hawaiian on Gaffey just a few hundred feet from the hotel. The other places to eat are: Burger King, Sushi 21 and Jasmine Hana. There is also a McDonalds a few blocks to the south. Good Luck!!

Someone suggested the Grinder. It may be open at that time but it is not close by. The closest place to eat that will be open is Ono Hawaiian on Gaffey just a few hundred feet from the hotel. The other places to eat are: Burger King, Sushi 21 and Jasmine Hana. There is also a McDonalds a few blocks to the south. Good Luck!!

Thanks! Getting excited about the cruise - just 16 days away now!