San Pedro from a San Pedran

Wineaux

Please tell me that there is an In 'n Out burger in San Pedro, close to the CP would be even better :D

The SP branch is on Western and Capitol (1090 N. WESTERN AVE. SAN PEDRO, CA 90732) Do you have a car? If not, you can probably cab over from CP. The other option is in Carson, right off the 110 freeway on your way to SP. Easy to get to if you are driving to the CP. (730 W. CARSON TORRANCE, CA 90502).

Have you had In&Out before? You know about the "secret menu" items? :D

So it's not pronounced San Paid Row? I always try to not insult the locals but often give them something to laugh about. Heaven knows we have some thing and place names in Arizona that can cause confusion for visitors and giggles from locals. :p

We were in SP Jan 1, and the trolley cars were no longer running.

Yuck! That's not fun to hear! :( The website says... The Red Cars operate from 12 p.m. (noon) to 9:30 p.m. on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Red Cars also run on select Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays when cruise ships are in Port.

Their website says they were still up and running as of November 2010 and expansion of the line was being considered at that time. Maybe they were closed for that holiday~day or maybe you were there before noon???

Edited by Cake&Tea
Sorry! Just realized 2 other people had already replied to that post!

Our cruise ends in San Pedro at 8 am. We are considering paying for luggage express service and spending the day on Catalina Island since a midnight flight out of LAX is currently very cheap. I have a few questions...

*Can we walk off the cruise ship at San Pedro and walk to the Catalina Express area??

*Is the super shuttle the best way to get from San Pedro to LAX later that evening?

Our cruise ends in San Pedro at 8 am. We are considering paying for luggage express service and spending the day on Catalina Island since a midnight flight out of LAX is currently very cheap. I have a few questions...

*Can we walk off the cruise ship at San Pedro and walk to the Catalina Express area??

*Is the super shuttle the best way to get from San Pedro to LAX later that evening?

Yes and yes :)

The SP branch is on Western and Capitol (1090 N. WESTERN AVE. SAN PEDRO, CA 90732) Do you have a car? If not, you can probably cab over from CP. The other option is in Carson, right off the 110 freeway on your way to SP. Easy to get to if you are driving to the CP. (730 W. CARSON TORRANCE, CA 90502).

Have you had In&Out before? You know about the "secret menu" items? :D

No, I have not been - just heard how good they are. What "secret menu" :eek:

And no, we won't have a car, but trying to decide between a town car & Super Shuttle from LAX to CP. Do you think the town car would charge to stop - or how much do you think a cab would cost? I'd really like to try one :)

We'll be arriving at the Crowne Plaza fairly late & need a reasonable restaurant for dinner that's close walking distance to the hotel....recommendations???

thanks

what is "fairly" late? If it's after 9pm then the Grinder is your only option which is just a block away from the CP on Harbor Blvd. It's a Denny's, Coco's, Carrow's style of restaurant.

No, I have not been - just heard how good they are. What "secret menu" :eek:

And no, we won't have a car, but trying to decide between a town car & Super Shuttle from LAX to CP. Do you think the town car would charge to stop - or how much do you think a cab would cost? I'd really like to try one :)

Secret Menu info:

http://www.badmouth.net/in-n-outs-secret-menu/

http://www.badmouth.net/graphics/inout/Secret_Menu.pdf

Now you can order like a local.

The town car will probably charge you to stop at the Carson location. Are you at the CP only for one night? Taking the shuttle as Wineaux suggested is probably your best bet. They open until 1am.

So it's not pronounced San Paid Row? I always try to not insult the locals but often give them something to laugh about. Heaven knows we have some thing and place names in Arizona that can cause confusion for visitors and giggles from locals. :p

You want to out yourself as a tourist? Just try pronouncing place names here the way they taught you in High School Spanish...

My mother told me about how, when she first moved to LA many years ago and tried to ask directions to a street named "Say-pool-VAY-thah" and got all sorts of funny looks before someone realized she was looking for "Suh-puhl-vuh-duh" (It's spelled "Sepulveda")...

Obviously, most of us just know that the city is called "Loss An-je-les" NOT "Loce Ahng hail ais"...

But, other place names are hit and miss...Some are close to the Spanish pronunciation, others (like Sepulveda) aren't even close...

And, beware, many of the place neames here sound foreign and you may think they're Spanish, but they're not...Many are Native American, either Chumash or Ute--Malibu, Tujunga, Topanga, Azusa, Cahuenga, etc.

How about "Canoga"? Sounds Native American, right? Nope...It was merely "made up" by real estate developers who thought the original name of the area--"Owensmouth" didn't sound as nice...Of course "Owensmouth" was an inside joke...The City of LA purchased the Owens Valley up in the High Desert on the Eastern slope of the Southern Sierra and piped the water of the Owens River down to the San Fernando Valley and dumped it there (remember the movie "Chinatown")--making Owensmouth the "mouth" of the Owens River...

One of my favorite place names is "Coalinga"-- a town about half way between LA and the San Francisco Bay Area along Interstate 5...What language is that? Spanish? Native American? Nope......it's ENGLISH! When they built the first railroad between LA and SF, the things ran on COAL...So, along the route, they needed stations to replenish the supply...They also got real unoriginal in naming them, so, they just assigned them letters in alphabetical order--"Coaling Station A", "Coaling Station B", etc... The sign originally said "COALING A"...and, over the years, was corrupted to "Coalinga"...

Another good local place name story...and a place often mispronounced, if that is even possible, is "Point Dume", a local geographical feature and surrounding area in Malibu...Is it pronounced "Point Doom" or "Point Du-may"? Seriously? It ain't Spanish...and the traditional pronunciation IS "Point Doom", though many revisionists think they are lending some class with a foreign pronunciation...Here's the real story behind the name: It was named after Father Francisco Dumetz, a Franciscan Missionary who founded the Mission San Fernando (There is also a "Dumetz Road" in Woodland Hills off Topanga Canyon)...the sign originally said "Point Dumetz"...but it fell into disrepair and the "TZ" fell off and nobody ever fixed it...so, eventually, it just became known as Point Dume, though very few people know why...

Anyway, "San Pedro"? Clearly, it has always been San PEE-dro, at least since, probably, the day AFTER the original Spaniards named it...Or, as Jake Gittes calls it in Chinatown, simply "Pee-dro"...

Edited by Bruin Steve

Sure, like the out of state license plates won't give me away. :D One of my favorite places in the world is up on the Navaho Reservation, Canyon de Chelly. Who would think it's pronounced Canyon de Shay? I'm really looking forward to our visit.

You want to out yourself as a tourist? Just try pronouncing place names here the way they taught you in High School Spanish...

My mother told me about how, when she first moved to LA many years ago and tried to ask directions to a street named "Say-pool-VAY-thah" and got all sorts of funny looks before someone realized she was looking for "Suh-puhl-vuh-duh" (It's spelled "Sepulveda")...

Obviously, most of us just know that the city is called "Loss An-je-les" NOT "Loce Ahng hail ais"...

But, other place names are hit and miss...Some are close to the Spanish pronunciation, others (like Sepulveda) aren't even close...

And, beware, many of the place neames here sound foreign and you may think they're Spanish, but they're not...Many are Native American, either Chumash or Ute--Malibu, Tujunga, Topanga, Azusa, Cahuenga, etc.

How about "Canoga"? Sounds Native American, right? Nope...It was merely "made up" by real estate developers who thought the original name of the area--"Owensmouth" didn't sound as nice...Of course "Owensmouth" was an inside joke...The City of LA purchased the Owens Valley up in the High Desert on the Eastern slope of the Southern Sierra and piped the water of the Owens River down to the San Fernando Valley and dumped it there (remember the movie "Chinatown")--making Owensmouth the "mouth" of the Owens River...

Anyway, "San Pedro"? Clearly, it has always been San PEE-dro, at least since, probably, the day AFTER the original Spaniards named it...Or, as Jake Gittes calls it in Chinatown, simply "Pee-dro"...

There was a radio DJ who told the "story" once of how Canoga Park really got its name. There was an indian who was looking for a place to tie up his horse for the night. He went here andthere, asking where his horse Oga could stay. After feeling ignored, he finally yelled out, "Can Oga park?"

So where in walking distance (don't mind a good walk) from the CP would you locals go to watch the Superbowl and enjoy some good food and drinks?

best place would be the San Pedro Brewing Company. The 7th Street Chophouse had a good party last year as well. Check their website to see if they are having it again. I haven't heard anything yet.

Regarding wine....The Von's at 13th & Gaffey has the typical selection of wines. San Pedro also has a wine shop....Off the Vine...it's walking distance from the CP and I'm sure the DT shuttle will take you there as well. Off the Vine has a more select choice and a great variety from different wine regions. And it has a tasting area......:D

What is the DT shuttle? We are interested in visiting but on google maps and elsewhere, it does not look like a quick/easy walk and my in-laws may be with us and he does not walk well. If the red trolley cars are running does anyone know if one would stop here or close?

I checked-out the website but it doesn't say much about selection. Does anyone know if Off The Vine offers California wines? What about a sparkling or two? Any chance of my favorite... a RED sparkling?

DH & I like wine as do my in-laws who may be with us on this cruise. I'm thinking a tasting on a Friday is probably available?? We are doing a B2B cruise so this would be a good way to get off the ship and see a bit of San Pedro and hop back on with our allowed bottle each! ;)

Secret Menu info:

http://www.badmouth.net/in-n-outs-secret-menu/

http://www.badmouth.net/graphics/inout/Secret_Menu.pdf

Now you can order like a local.

The town car will probably charge you to stop at the Carson location. Are you at the CP only for one night? Taking the shuttle as Wineaux suggested is probably your best bet. They open until 1am.

I see a cheeseburger "animal style" with extra grilled onions in my future :D

Thanks so much for the info, and thanks to Wineaux, I'll be asking the CP shuttle for the ride. I can hardly wait for March 14th!!

THANKS for all the wine info everyone!

We are not staying at a hotel in San Pedro or anywhere in the greater LA area. We are doing a back-to-back cruise with the first one being a repositioning cruise that stops in San Pedro for a day ~ and then we are finally coming back through and ending the cruise in San Pedro. The first stop is a Friday and we will DEFINITELY want to get off the boat and see San Pedro and stretch our land legs. I think we will try to catch Off The Vine that day ~ we'll want that sparkling red to carry back on the ship ~ we will be allowed a bottle per passenger. The second stop is 10 days later on a Sunday and we may just go to Catalina for the day.

I tell you all this because I was looking for an easy way to get from the cruise port to Off The Vine...

We are not cruising until September. And yes, I am a PLANAHOLIC and I love it! My DH lets me plan as I wish and we end-up having fantastic vacations! IMHO this is sometimes better than getting off the ship and wandering here and there with no info at hand.

Suggestions on how best to get to Angel's Gate Park from the CP? Walkable?

Thanks!

LidoLiz

Have the CP shuttle take you there and back. It's a 2 1/2 mile walk. If you would like to walk it the best way to get there is to take 6th street west to Pacific Ave south to Shepard west to Gaffey north. Much nicer walk than taking Gaffey and less hilly. :)

Wineaux, just to let you know that after looking over your SP Restaurant suggestions I emailed SPBC regarding a CC pre-cruise dinner. I recieved a lovely email from them saying they would put out appetizers for us to start off and that they would also give us a tour. What a very nice gesture. Thanks for all of your wonderful info & suggestions.

By the way, any info on Sunseeker Tours? I have booked them post cruise.

There is NO pure vegetarian restaurant in town but most restaurants have some vegetarian choices. Your best bet would be: Think Cafe, Nosh, Niko's, Raffaelo's or Neil's.

Can you recomend a mid price hotel eith er LOng Beach or San Pedro for 1 night pre cruise from LA to Sydney Sept 9th 2011. Someone stated the double tree for $99 but I can only come up with $178US Thanks Irene and Stan.