San Pedro from a San Pedran

Wineaux

Final word on the CP and the park & sail package. Next time, we will use the doubletree. CP staff were great; my truck was safe and sound and dry on our return; the shuttle was timely and the driver courteous and helpful, but the hotel itself left a lot to be desired.

My parents and aunt and uncle are going coming in to LAX and staying at the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro for two nights before their cruise on the Island Princess. I was going to tell them to use a shuttle from LAX but since there is 4 of them and a shuttle would be 68$, I'm now thinking that a cab may be cheaper and faster. I checked on ExecuCar and they want 55$ so that may be better but I'm not sure how my parents feel of booking this online. Would a cab be much more than 55$?

My parents and aunt and uncle are going coming in to LAX and staying at the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro for two nights before their cruise on the Island Princess. I was going to tell them to use a shuttle from LAX but since there is 4 of them and a shuttle would be 68$, I'm now thinking that a cab may be cheaper and faster. I checked on ExecuCar and they want 55$ so that may be better but I'm not sure how my parents feel of booking this online. Would a cab be much more than 55$?

The advantage of the ExecuCar is that is there is a problem with the freeways--there will be no extra charge. What time of day will your parents be landing at LAX? If after 9 AM and before 2 PM, they probably won't run into any traffic problems--but if it is between 3 PM and 7 PM they will be in rush hour traffic that can be very slow.

The advantage of the ExecuCar is that is there is a problem with the freeways--there will be no extra charge. What time of day will your parents be landing at LAX? If after 9 AM and before 2 PM, they probably won't run into any traffic problems--but if it is between 3 PM and 7 PM they will be in rush hour traffic that can be very slow.

They'll be coming in at 1:45PM but would take a while before they get them baggage so it may be 3PM before they get to leave.

They'll be coming in at 1:45PM but would take a while before they get them baggage so it may be 3PM before they get to leave.

Yes, if there is any glitch--late arrival, long wait for luggage, you may get stuck in rush hour traffic (I assumed they were arriving Mon through Fri). Encourage them to order ExecuCar!

Yes, if there is any glitch--late arrival, long wait for luggage, you may get stuck in rush hour traffic (I assumed they were arriving Mon through Fri). Encourage them to order ExecuCar!

I'll try to convince them about the car if not, they'll probably go with the shuttle instead of the cab.

Thank you very much for your help.

We are in the process of deciding between Crowne Plaza and Doubletree, but need some specifics. We are flying in to LA and will be hoping to find a fairly good restaurant and a liquor store within walking distance. Would appreciate info on both. Thanks

Hello! I'm currently sitting in my comfy bed at the CP in San Pedro waiting to leave.

this hotel is fine. So far. I bid on priceline and got it. So far havent encountered the water issues others have, but I also showered at 3 yesterday afternoon. We'll see how it goes this am. The bed is really comfortable. The staff are nice enough. Call us a cab so we could get to long beach for a party. (only 20 bucks.. not too bad)

It is kinda in the middle of nowhere, but we walked the half block to a mexican restaurant with bad decor but good food. I think we are going to try and walk around, see if there is anything better to see or do here before we check out.

Oh and the best part? There is a hypnotists convetion at the hotel right now!! SO AWESOME! haha

Hello! I'm currently sitting in my comfy bed at the CP in San Pedro waiting to leave.

this hotel is fine. So far. I bid on priceline and got it. So far havent encountered the water issues others have, but I also showered at 3 yesterday afternoon. We'll see how it goes this am. The bed is really comfortable. The staff are nice enough. Call us a cab so we could get to long beach for a party. (only 20 bucks.. not too bad)

It is kinda in the middle of nowhere, but we walked the half block to a mexican restaurant with bad decor but good food. I think we are going to try and walk around, see if there is anything better to see or do here before we check out.

Oh and the best part? There is a hypnotists convetion at the hotel right now!! SO AWESOME! haha

After you weather in Edmonton this week, anything would look good.;)

We have stayed at the CP a number of times and while we have a preference for the Double Tree, we have always found the, rooms, the service and the staff to be first class. We are back at the CP in May.

Take a walk up 6th Street, I think they may a farmers market going on.

I chose the Doubletree and we had our stay a few weeks ago. The hotel was full of pre-cruisers, pretty interesting. (and Air Tahiti Nui crew who did not cause us any trouble with partying unlike other posters, although I did see a few of them)

I asked them for a ride to a grocery store, they told me to come back an hour later when the van was taking some people to dinner near the CP. The guy dropped me off at a very scary liquor store while he went around the corner to drop people off (I would call it a large Bodega if you were from NYC), which did not have fridge packs of soda that I was looking for. I waited in front for him to come back, then he drove to Von's on Gaffey. It was exactly what I expected and needed and I bought what I wanted. He waited in the parking lot for me and then drove me back. He was actually the same driver the next day to the ship (and they put the passengers and bags in the same van, unlike some other reviews I've read here). The moral of the story is that I would have needed a van to take me to Von's whether I was at the Doubletree or CP.

All in all I am totally happy with the Doubletree, it did what we needed and was reasonably-priced.

Thanks Wineaux-I'll keep this in mind as a possibility

what is "fairly" late? If it's after 9pm then the Grinder is your only option which is just a block away from the CP on Harbor Blvd. It's a Denny's, Coco's, Carrow's style of restaurant.

Yep-I got it at $60 on Priceline-and I'm a happy camper

I don't know if this has already been posted as I didn't read the entire thread but the CP has GREAT rates on Priceline....you can usually get a precruise room for between $60 and $75 per night.

Sounds like cab should be about a wash (pricewise) for two people compared to Super Shuttle to the CP-thanks for that info! :)

I think I read that cab fare is in the order of $30 from LGB to port.

We are leaning towards booking the Doubletree even tho it is located somewhat remotely from dining, wine store, etc.

We will be in San Pedro on a Friday afternoon thru Sunday morning in September, then we'll use the hotel shuttle to the pier. It appears that the Red Trolley would be running weekends? Also, the Marina station for the Red Trolley doesn't look to be very far from the Doubletree ... easy walking distance?

Looks like the Red Trolley would get us pretty close and within an easy walk to downtown, points of interest, eateries, shopping ... right?

Thanks for your help.

My wife and I would like to visit Disneyland while we are in San Pedro for one day on the Sapphire Princess this coming September. We are doing a back to back and would be in port from about 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Is it doable to get from San Pedro to Disneyland and back in this time frame? What would the best way to do this? I don't want to rent a car for the day. Are there shuttle companies available that would get us to and from Disneyland? I understand that it is about 30 miles each way. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Or, would you suggest that we save Disneyland for another time and do something closer to San Pedro? Thanks for your assistance.

In my opinion, you have too little time to bother with the expense to get there, especially if you don't want to rent a car. You would probably want to take a cab and it would probably be $60 or more each way. Tickets are $76 for one park, $101 for a park hopper and generally the price increases in August. You would need to leave the resort by 2 PM to get back to San Pedro to make sure you check in an hour before sailing (if it is 4 PM).

We are leaning towards booking the Doubletree even tho it is located somewhat remotely from dining, wine store, etc.

We will be in San Pedro on a Friday afternoon thru Sunday morning in September, then we'll use the hotel shuttle to the pier. It appears that the Red Trolley would be running weekends? Also, the Marina station for the Red Trolley doesn't look to be very far from the Doubletree ... easy walking distance?

Looks like the Red Trolley would get us pretty close and within an easy walk to downtown, points of interest, eateries, shopping ... right?

Thanks for your help.

It's about a 15 minute stroll through the marina to the Red Trolley Station.

The Trolley stops at the Maritime Museum which is the central point to downtown Pedro. It is an easy walk up 6th Street to the local restaurants. If you walk up 6th St. to Pacific, Off the Vine wine bar is a local favorite. Your hotel shuttle can also run you to other local shops, grocery stores and restaurants.

My wife and I would like to visit Disneyland while we are in San Pedro for one day on the Sapphire Princess this coming September. We are doing a back to back and would be in port from about 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Is it doable to get from San Pedro to Disneyland and back in this time frame? What would the best way to do this? I don't want to rent a car for the day. Are there shuttle companies available that would get us to and from Disneyland? I understand that it is about 30 miles each way. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Or, would you suggest that we save Disneyland for another time and do something closer to San Pedro? Thanks for your assistance.

I agree with PatriciaF....not enough time to get to Disneyland and too costly for the few hours you would have.

It's about a 15 minute stroll through the marina to the Red Trolley Station.

The Trolley stops at the Maritime Museum which is the central point to downtown Pedro. It is an easy walk up 6th Street to the local restaurants. If you walk up 6th St. to Pacific, Off the Vine wine bar is a local favorite. Your hotel shuttle can also run you to other local shops, grocery stores and restaurants.

Thanks so much for the info. Being there on a weekend, it seemed that the Red Trolley would be a convenient and fun way to move around town ... in addition to or instead of the Doubletree shuttle.

After reading the great posts on this site, we have made some decisions, but we need some more help. We will be arriving at LAX or SNA on Saturday October 22nd for the Coral Princess Panama Canal transit. We plan to Supershuttle to either the Doubletree or Crowne Plaza in San Pedro. We will be booking the full day LA/Hollywood Tour with Sunseeker for one day. Without a car, what would you suggest in the San Pedro/Long Beach area for the other full day? How can we get around and what would it cost? We love to walk if the area is safe. Also, we have never been to the LA area before, but wish to limit our day to the San Pedro area. Thanks in advance.

Bill

Crowne Plaza San Pedro have confirmed the shuttle doing the 5 mile radius no longer available, however, to the terminal still O.K. Regards Irene and Stan. We are only there one night so no worries.