Epic - Formal Nights?

kgraham56

Sorry if this question has been beaten to death, but I couldn't find an answer on the NCL site or any of the 5,000 or so reviews I've read. Are there formal nights or not?

If not, I'll gladly trade my tuxedo for more Hawaiian shirts.....:D

Thanks,

ken

PS: Does anybody else think the NCL site has become much harder to navigate and find the things you are looking for? It looks nice and it might be great for selling the "cruise experience" but it is a navigation nightmare....

Yes, there are Formal Nights on the Epic. However, they don't use that term anymore.

The new designation is "DRESS UP OR NOT" and they don't make much of a deal about it. You will find it very hard to see it on the "Freestyle Daily". They used to put it in a box on the front page of the Freestyle Daily. Now it is the first line under the nightly activities on the third page. On our cruises (BTB), it was on Day 2. They used to have two formal nights per week.

We saw very few men dressed in Tuxes. Very few ties in fact. I always enjoyed that aspect of cruising, so I usually bring my tux and a suit for other nights.

-Jim

Sorry but this gets to be really tedious - for the upteenth time there are NO formal nights on ANY NCL ship. "dress-up or not" nights REALLY are ENTIRELY optional and most people do NOT dress up . If you want to dress up FINE. If you don't want to dress up FINE.

No one will care.

Sorry but this gets to be really tedious - for the upteenth time there are NO formal nights on ANY NCL ship. "dress-up or not" nights REALLY are ENTIRELY optional and most people do NOT dress up . If you want to dress up FINE. If you don't want to dress up FINE.

No one will care.

I think it has been posted 5,894 times in the past year. No formal nights on any NCL ship. Never, ever. (okay, there were many, many years ago)

I'm just back from a week on the Epic, and in my opinion, someone wearing a tux certainly would be fully respected by everyone if they chose to wear it. However, I think they would be one of only a few people wearing one among the 4200 passengers. On the sea day nights, people tended to dress up a little more, but there were still many, many people roaming the ship and attending entertainment events in shorts and t-shirts. Those who were more dressed up typically were wearing (for the ladies) cocktail dresses, glitzy shiny dresses, lots of black, etc. Not so many "formal gowns". (For the men) dress slacks, long sleeve nice shirts, maybe a fancy tie, a few jackets here and there, nice untucked "island" shirts and kackies. It is such a mixture of styles and dress levels that pretty much anyone wearing anything will feel comfortable. I like it.

No one will care.

Zeno is correct. Technically there is no "FORMAL" night. The "DRESS UP OR NOT" designation is used once per 7-day cruise. The photographers are available that night to take formal pictures.

It seems like this is the wave of the future considering the cost of bringing bags on the airplanes, etc.

-Jim

There are only formal nights IF YOU want them to be formal. :D

Don't stress it, there's no need to bring fancy duds, and if you do....you don't have to follow the crowd! That is the whole point of FREESTYLE cruising. Look at the fish logo for NCL, there's one going the other way. ;)

Thanks everybody for the info.

Sorry to step on anybody's dainty little toes, but some of us have a life other than reading the CC forums. It has been several years since my last Norwegian cruise, so I was checking to see if the rules had changed. Obviously, they have. The last NCL cruise I took had "freestyle" cruising but if you wanted to eat in one of the dining rooms you needed to go formal.

ken

Archived