what size/kind of luggage to pack for the kids

reallyexcited

my kids will be 2, 6 and 9 when we cruise in april on a 7 day (legend)

i will need extras like diapers, wipes, sippy cups, toys etc. for the 2 year old.

We are driving..so no flight.

Dh and I will have a regular suitcase and a carry on each

I am wondering what kind of suitcase to pack for the kids. I will pack a carry on size for most of their stuff ( 1 for each) and then I have these wheeled carry on bags that i just bought ( they were on clearance) so I was thinking of packing 2 of those with diapers, wipes, sippy cups, and extras like one outift each, socks, etc. They can also have their coloring books, DS, games, and other play things in there.

The 6 and 9 year old will be able to wheel their own bag no problem...i guess I could check them at the curb before we board right? So then we will only be wheeling mine and DH's carry on around until our room is ready.

what do you bring??

You will be able to check any and everything you want before boarding the ship. Since you don't have to worry about airline restrictions, I'd bring the largest bags I had, with it crammed full! I'd try to reduce the number of bags and increase the weight and amount of each bad I did bring...it will be easier to store a couple big bags, rather than a bunch of little ones!

I'm with Cb. Really pack the bags full and check them at the pier. You don't want to have to drag them around at all. I'm even bringing juice boxes. I know they have juice at lunch, but when we are off the ship, mine will want some juice. So, lots of stuff to bring.

Nancy

Since you are not flying, you have lots of options. I would go with wheeled bags, if you have them. Make sure you carry-on their swim suits, so they can start having fun as soon as they board.

For people who are flying: Cross-pack. Do not just put all of one person's items in one suitcase. Mix and match, so that if one suitcase goes missing, eveyone has at least one change of clothes in someone else's case.

I am taking the advice I got here and stopping close to the pier and picking up a box of diapers, then slapping a luggage tag on them and checking it as is. Therefore, no diapers in the suitcase, except swim diapers.

We ordered our son this bag when he was only a few months old. It has been perfect and holds plenty of clothes, toys, etc. It has a great pocket on the front that I use for his toiletry items and medicine.

http://www.kidstravelzone.com/Luggage/rollingduffel.htm

can i really just check a box of diapers not packed??

we are driving so I'm thinking I can bring a bag with just diapers, etc. and fold it up and pack it on the way home if I have to...since most diapers, etc.. will be gone

i like the bag you posted. I have 2 wheely duffle type bags like that for my older kids ( we have never used them) but they fit a lot!!!

I took the diapers out of the packaging and just laid them over the top of all the stuff in the suitcase. I would check all your bags at the dock except one small bag with absolute essentials (a couple diapers, some wipes, sippy cup, swim stuff). It's very busy when you get on the ship. Its enough fun to keep track of excited children, never mind the extra bags.

As for checking a box of diapers...you sure can. You can check anything your heart desires, right down small bags. The only thing they discouraged us from checking was a sleep machine (in other words, medical equipment).

we have three kids: 4, 8 and 8. Our 4-year-old has his own little wheeled bag, your 2-year-old is almost ready to start pulling his own weight in my book.

for our holiday cruise we *only* took carry-on. each child has a bag (they each got to pick one out from the hundreds on the internet as an early present) and they are a range of sizes, shapes, color. each also carries a smallish backpack with toys, cuddlies, and books. one chose a rolling duffel and boy does it hold a lot! we took it mostly empty and it was jam-packed with goodies coming home. I include in the "going" luggage a small duffel in case we buy one two many t-shirts, dresses, flip-flops, toys, or whatever we blow our "mad cash" on. if it's too much at the end we check one or more bags.

you will want to have your hands free when you board so pass everything off to the porters at the dock. have a great cruise!

For my 2 and 5 year old I have these. They are called Trunki's. My 2 year old has the purple one and my 5 year old has the orange tiger one. They are on sale now at Diapers dot com for $34.99 and if you use code luvm5540 you can get an extra 15% off. My kids absolutely love them. They can ride on them as you pull them through the airport or wherever. And my 5 year old is pretty tall for his age and rides it wonderfully. They are a lifesaver!!

md-309_med2a.jpgmd-311_med2a.jpgmd-312_med2a.jpgmd-314_med2a.jpgmd-310_med2a.jpgmd-314_2z.jpg

For my 2 and 5 year old I have these. They are called Trunki's. My 2 year old has the purple one and my 5 year old has the orange tiger one. They are on sale now at Diapers dot com for $34.99 and if you use code luvm5540 you can get an extra 15% off. My kids absolutely love them. They can ride on them as you pull them through the airport or wherever. And my 5 year old is pretty tall for his age and rides it wonderfully. They are a lifesaver!!

md-309_med2a.jpgmd-311_med2a.jpgmd-312_med2a.jpgmd-314_med2a.jpgmd-310_med2a.jpgmd-314_2z.jpg

I love Trunki!! My son has had one for years and I just bought one for my daughter for our upcoming cruise. I use it for the toys they want to bring.

Amazon has them all for under $30 and free shipping right now.

My girls are 6 and 8 and still use their Trunkis when we travel. The 8 yo, although small for her age, is a bit big for hers to ride on but she uses it mostly as seating. Especially when we are in a busy crowded airport. They are meant to be used as carry-ons so mostly carry their books and toys but can carry their close on weekend trips.

• 3 weeks later...
My girls are 6 and 8 and still use their Trunkis when we travel. The 8 yo, although small for her age, is a bit big for hers to ride on but she uses it mostly as seating. Especially when we are in a busy crowded airport. They are meant to be used as carry-ons so mostly carry their books and toys but can carry their close on weekend trips.

I know what you mean. I also have an 11 year old and she is always begging to ride on her brother's or sister's lol! :D

• 1 month later...

Archived